Home Forums Modern New Ambush Alley Rules Announced!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Carpenter
    Participant

I thought some of you might be interested in announcement we made on our new AAG forum yesterday, so I’m re-posting it here:

So, let’s talk about the future of Force on Force and Tomorrow’s War. First, let’s all take a deep breath and remember those words of ineffable wisdom passed down to me by Sgt. Fuentes, a Marine instructor from my murky past: DO NOT PANIC!

That said, let’s get down to the brass tacks: Ambush Alley Games will not be releasing third editions of Force on Force or Tomorrow’s War. Instead, we’re going to be releasing a new rule-set entitled Ambush Alley.

If you’ve read our blog at http://www.ambushalleygames.net/blog, you already know a little bit about the direction we’re taking with Ambush Alley, but for those of you who haven’t, let me hit some of the high points for you:

•    Ambush Alley will be compatible with existing Force on Force & Tomorrow’s War Companion Books. Your investment in those books is secure.

•   Ambush Alley will be a game engine. While the rule book itself will be focused on modern/near future small unit combat, we’ll be releasing Guidebooks that put the engine to work in other settings, such as zombie survival (Ambush Z, anyone?), hard military SF (Tomorrow’s War), space opera, WWII, etc.

•   Ambush Alley will support the sort of fire team based skirmish gaming you’re used to from Force on Force/Tomorrow’s War, but it will also allow you to field highly skilled individual operators as single figure “units.” Want to play a scenario featuring a couple Special Forces Operators leading a few squads of indigenous troops? No problem. Or maybe you want to play a game where you’re in control of four separate Operators who are infiltrating an enemy camp? No sweat. Ambush Alley will allow you to play any combination of unit based skirmish or figure based “ultra-skirmish” scenarios you desire.

•   Ambush Alley will have a shallower learning curve than FoF/TW. While it will still include the AAG “Reaction System,” that system has been overhauled to make it easier to learn and play. The rules in general are far more streamlined and will be supported by a number of “out of the box” playing aids that will make the game quick and easy to pick up.

•   Ambush Alley will see the return of our beloved digital “Mini-Campaign Packs.” We’ll re-release updated versions of old classics like “Three Block War” and “Under the Black Flag” to support the release of Ambush Alley and regularly release new, inexpensive mini-campaign packs.

•   Ambush Alley will be well-supported with scenario packs, but will not require scenarios to play. We’re designing this new version of the game from the ground up to make it pick-up game friendly.

•   What about Tomorrow’s War and the Tomorrowverse setting? Again, in the immortal words of Sgt. Fuentes: DO NOT PANIC! One of our first Guidebooks will be focused on bringing Tomorrow’s War to life using the new Ambush Alley game engine – and delve more deeply into conflicts from before and after the First Darghaur Incursion.

So, the big question you’re probably dying to ask is, “WHEN?”

Well, soon-ish. We’ve got a working draft in playtesting, but I’m still refining it. There are some new mechanisms involved that require quite a bit of testing – but I think you’re going to find they add a whole new layer of tactical options without adding any significant complexity. I’m also determined to ensure that these will be the best organized and most concisely written rules I’ve ever written – and that takes time to get exactly right. A release date isn’t too far in the future, and that’s about all I can say right now.

So, there’s some news for you to chomp on. I’m sure you’ll have lots of questions and I’ll be happy to answer as many of them as I can under the restrictions of OpSec. ;)

For those that are interested, I’ll post updates here, as well as on AAG forum and our blog.

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Mike
    Keymaster

Ambush Z, anyone?

Yes please.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Shawn:
    Interesting news, indeed. I’m still learning FoF so I’ll hold off on any new products in the immediate future. Does Ambush Alley Games produce any quick reference aids for FoF? The flipping back and forth in the rules book is a pain and slows games down considerably.
    Cheers and good gaming.
    Rod Robertson.

Shawn Carpenter
    Participant

Rod, you can find a QRS and other useful tidbits in the Downloads section of our website: http://www.ambushalleygames.net/force-on-force-play-aids/

Just to reiterate – the existing FoF companion books will be compatible with the new Ambush Alley rules. We don’t have any plans to release new versions of any of those books at this point in time. Since they’ll be perfectly usable with the new AA rules, it seems like a money-grab just to put a different cover on them and release them with a minor rewrite. That’s just not how we do things.

Shawn Carpenter
    [email protected]
    www.ambushalleygames.net

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Thanks for the information Shawn! Much appreciated!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.