Home Forums Horse and Musket General Horse and Musket New blog about wargaming the Murid Wars

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all,

My new blog to chart the course of my Murid Wars, that pits the Lion of Dagestan against the Imperial Russian Army of the South during the 1840’s and 1850’s in the Caucasus.

https://attheedgeofempires.blogspot.com/?m=1

Participant

Must admit I know zero about these wars (hangs head in shame) so will read your blog with interest.
    Good luck with the rules set.

Participant

Perhaps we should start a club Andrew – I too had never heard of this conflict.  I honestly thought it was a SF project…until I noticed the sub forum it was in.

Very intrigued!  (And I’ve always loved dealing with Irregular as well)!  Hope to hear more of your work Rhys!

Participant

Thanks y’all. Much appreciated. I’ll hopefully get another post done over the weekend. First unit painted up tonight.

First unit painted

Participant

Following.

Participant
    Participant

I like your idea of both making your painting quicker by using the same colour, as well as keeping the options open to possibly use colours to differentiate troops if the rules end up needing that.

And I always appreciate how Irregular figures paint up – those look really good!  Seems they certainly filled your brief, and then some!

Participant

Thanks Tony. Yeah I’m trying formalise the rules so that you just visually check how the army is doing overall by the number of troops you have of each main colour left on the table.

yeah Irregular Miniatures do tend to paint up really nicely – I’m pleased with how they have cons out for a relatively quick paint job.

Participant

keep up the work, it takes real interest to run a blog along side a hobby

Participant

Thanks ☺️ yeah, we’ll see how it goes ha ha.

Participant

Irregular are always good to deal with, and I agree with you, they paint up well

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Thirty more Murids painted up so far this week.

</p>

Participant

You’re a veritable painting machine!

But can they fight?

Participant

Thanks Tony! It remains to be seen if they will stand. Traditionally they did, very well, as long as the odds were in their favour!

Participant

New post up on the blog. Making good progress.

https://attheedgeofempires.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-100-and-russians.html?m=1

Participant

New post up on the blog that has a travel video showing what a mountain top settlement in the region looks like.

https://attheedgeofempires.blogspot.com/2023/07/the-painting-continues-but.html?m=1

Participant

On my new project to paint two smallish forces for Imperial Russias war in the Caucasus against the Murids led by the Lion of Daghestan that occupied the highlands of the Daghestan and Chechnyan regions.

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/4470657584302027479/5423949060412385032

Participant

Nicely done. I was interested to read that you prime with Vallejo black primer. I wondered whether you had had any problems with using this on metal, but obviously not since you are doing it.

My own experience has been that it can rub off while painting (handling) BUT, I wondered, if the figure goes on a stick and is not touched other than by the brush and then the usual varnish goes on …. Is this enough to seal and protect or do you eventually start to see rub at the high points of the figure start to reveal the metal?

I would prefer to use the brush on primer than a rattle can …. Which I currently do for metals.

Participant

Hi Norm,

Thanks. Yes, I use Vallejo surface primer, which is great for plastic model kits, a bit less great for metal figures. I have an airbrush, but rather than airbrush the primer, which doesn’t work very well on the metal as it has to be quite thin to go through the airbrush, I brushed it on in two coats. The figure isn’t touched until the painting is finished. Mostly I use Coat D’arms paints and a few Foundry paints. These are decent thick paints and coat nicely on the whole, despite the untrustworthy paints reviews on YouTube of Coat D’arms paints. The figures in the photos are pre-varnish – they will soon receive a single coat of Vallejo Matte Varnish to finish. I have used this method a lot, on various scales of figures, with no signs of paint wear.

Participant

Thanks, the two coats sounds the way to go.

Participant
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Can’t wait till see what you do once you’ve digested that mighty tome of Mr Hyde.  And thanks for your earlier post about Blanch’s book.  I just purchased it, because I definitely need yet another period to get interested in.</p>

Participant

Ha ha its a great book – I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Its not my fault if you end up with a load of Murids and Russians! Although if you buy from Irregular tell them its thanks to me 😉

Participant

“One of my big bears is internet people reviewing things they haven’t actually utilises for its intended purpose properly. A book should be properly read through once, rules played a few times, before any review should ever be composed. Don’t call it a review if it’s just a flick through “first impressions”! Please! Just stop it! ”

Well said that man. 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Participant

Ha ha thanks Jim 😜

Participant

160 musketeers ready for basing. New post up on the blog.

https://attheedgeofempires.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-next-stage.html?m=1

Participant

Impressive collection – looking forward to see them based.

How are the rules coming on?

Participant

Thanks Andrew. The rules are slowly coming together in a coherent first draft after jotting down a lot of ideas in a Word document.

Participant
    Participant

Think you are right about the odd tuft – they will just add a little punch of colour.

Boom booms next (artillery) would be my choice though I would be tempted to split the large groups up as a break 🙂

Participant

Thanks Andrew – I am sure I’ve got some tufts that might be appropriate somewhere – just need to dig them out.

I am tempted to do a couple of artillery units, then a couple of cavalry units, then the C-in-C diorama base. The I’ve got one small army ready to field and I can get a small force of Russians done then and begin playing the campaign.

Participant

A review of Wargaming Campaigns by Henry Hyde now up on the blog.

https://attheedgeofempires.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-review-wargaming-campaigns-by-henry.html?m=1

Participant

I agree – it was a fun read.  As a caveat, I also think reading rules and other wargaming books are also great entertainment to read.  But Mr Hyde also seems able to make even the drier bits of campaigns interesting.

Which is why I’ve been eyeing his latest book…

Participant

Yeah, I am definitely going to get Martinstaadt now, probably next month as I have other purchases that I would like (need for wargaming – not really a need but it is to me!) to make.

Participant

How do you paint your cream Eggs? New post up on the blog.

https://attheedgeofempires.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-prep-work-continues.html?m=1

Participant

The Murid artillery is complete. New post up on the blog.

https://attheedgeofempires.blogspot.com/2023/08/the-murid-artillery-is-complete.html?m=1

Participant

Very nice indeed!   You’ll be onto the Russians in no time!  I assume they are from Irregular’s Crimean range?

By the way, I’ve got a bunch of irregulars to paint up for my next project, and I think I’m going to try your method of painting a batch of figures in one colour, and then another batch in another colour, and so on.  I’ve tended to paint that type of figures randomly, but it does waste a lot of time cleaning brushes and shaking paints.

So, I’m going to try your method and hope it won’t seem too tedious to my delicate artistic sensibilities.  😉

Your forces certainly look very good!

Participant

Hi Tony – thanks very much. The Russians are indeed from Irregular’s Crimean War range. I hope it goes well for you. Let us know how you get on. I find doing 10 at a time fairly bearable and you still feel like you have achieved something and it keeps you wanting to get the rest done.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.