Home Forums Horse and Musket American Civil War New Confederate Uniform Book

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello to All.

My latest book CONFEDERATE UNIFORMS DURING THE MARYLAND CAMPAIGN:SEPTEMBER 1862, may be of considerable interest to all Civil War uniform enthusiasts–those who still believe in the ‘Ragged Reb’ scenario and others who feel that maybe the Confederates weren’t that hard done by.

It is a large work (A4 size and 320 pages), packed with never-before-seen data highlighting how the Confederate logistical network system successfully supplied its troops during the late Summer and early Fall of 1862 with both fresh uniform issues and abundant food rations. Besides the hundreds of Company Clothing Issue Tables contained in the book there are numerous full colour plates using realistic models displaying authentic period uniforms from my own large collection. There is also a large Photographic Section which scrutinizes the many images taken shortly after the battle. Eyewitness accounts are invariably useful and I have chosen many which I feel are the most accurate (i.e. by Soldiers and Newspaper Correspondents), as civilian testimonies can often be skewed through both biased beliefs and military ignorance. If you think the typical Reb of late 1862 was a shoeless scarecrow, then this book will surely change your mind! Here are a few excerpts….

JUST A FEW OF THE NUMEROUS EYEWITNESS TESTIMONIES

“..All this stuff about their extreme destitution is all bash. I have been all over the battlefields of Maryland and I have yet to find a Rebel even meanly clad or shod. They are as well shod as our own men. They are dressed in gray..”

Union Surgeon James Langstaff  Dunn MD. 109th Pa. Vols. (Sept.1862)

“The notion which I find almost universal in the North, that the Southern Armies are clotheless and shoeless, let me here observe, I cannot but regard as a dangerous delusion.”

William Henry Hurlbert, New York Times Correspondent, (August 1862)

“..I saw rebel soldiers as well clothed as any of our own men..”

Private S.D. Green, a Michigan soldier serving in Virginia in late 1862

“…Our Regiment has been uniformed (in) grey woollen cloth and round about coats.”

Corporal Tally Simpson Co. A. 3rd SC (In letter to sister July 18th 1862)

“One of the Regiments of this Brigade is dressed in a remarkably neat and comfortable uniform which cost (for roundabout and pants) only eleven dollars to the man. The other regiments are now being uniformed by the Govt. in the same way…..

….when we get our new uniform, I think the old 7th will astonish her neighbours. We are having a uniform made in Rich (Richmond) at the Govt rooms, dark steel mixed jacket with light blue pants. Both cloths are heavy and good, English manufacture.”

Colonel David Wyatt Aiken 7th South Carolina Infantry Regiment (July 12th1862)

Soon our camp was filled with goods, and in a few days each “reb” had on a clean shirt and a brand new suit of “Confederate Uniform”, and a new pair of shoes. With clean clothes on, and plenty to eat, we began our important operations.”

Private Robert Campbell Company ‘A’ 5th Texas Infantry (July 8th 1862)

RE-SUPPLY OF NEW UNIFORMS IN MARYLAND

On September 8th the Great Falls correspondent of the New York Tribune, accompanying the Confederate forces into Maryland was astonished to see that many soldiers had cast off their old clothing and had donned new Confederate uniforms. He noted that “It is most natural to ask why these men threw away their clothing immediately on arriving on the Maryland side of the Potomac. This is most easily answered…As to a portion of the Confederate soldiers being furnished with new clothing, there is nothing which can be more conclusive than the fact that your correspondent saw full companies newly clad in substantial and fine garments, all of which were uniform in appearance”.

All the Uniform Issue data used in the book was obtained from the thousands of surviving clothing requisition forms held in the US archives, namely the‘Special Requisition Form 40’ and ‘Articles Issued on Special Requisition Form 39’ documents.

CLOTHING ISSUE TABLES

Below are just a few of the hundreds of clothing issue tables contained in the book. All the clothing, when received, was dated and signed for by each Company Officer, who detailed  the exact amount and type of clothing received and the dates the uniforms were requested and received.

NOTE. In the late Summer/Fall of  1862 most Confederate regiments averaged  only   150 -175 men, so the issues shown below were more than enough to keep the Confederate troops well attired and shod.

3RD ARKANSAS INFANTRY REGIMENT

MAY, JUNE 1862…711 jackets, 736 pairs pants, 546 pairs shoes, 113 undershirts, 321 pairs, 174 drawers, 387 caps, 262 blankets.

JULY, AUGUST 1862…154 jackets, 377 pairs pants, 263 pairs shoes, 441 shirts, 104 pairs socks, 424 drawers, 30 caps.

25TH NORTH CAROLINA INFANTRY REGIMENT

JUNE 8TH – AUG. 23RD 1862…934 jackets, 891 pairs pants, 1,108 pairs shoes, 1,084 shirts, 994 drawers, 934 caps, 48 overcoats, 77 blankets, 40 ponchos.

9TH LOUISIANA INFANTRY REGIMENT

APRIL 1862…1,042 jackets, 1,042 pairs pants, 304 pairs shoes, 267 shirts, 377 gray caps.

JULY, AUGUST 1862…101 ‘uniform’ jackets, 156 pairs ‘uniform’ pants, 169 pairs shoes, 256 shirts, 11 drawers, 32 caps.

23RD  NORTH CAROLINA INFANTRY REGIMENT

JUNE – DECEMBER 1862…1,056 jackets and coats, 1,198 pairs pants, 590 pairs shoes, 572 shirts, 14 pairs socks, 1,108 pairs drawers, 635 caps, 165 hats, 42 overcoats, 181 blankets.

8TH FLORIDA INFANTRY REGIMENT

JUNE – DECEMBER 1862…969 jackets, 970 pairs pants, 974 pairs shoes, 770 shirts, 60 pairs socks, 393 pairs drawers, 12 overcoats, 91 blankets.

53RD VIRGINIA INFANTRY REGIMENT

APRIL – JULY 23RD  1862….790 jackets, 840 pairs pants, 650 hats, 190 shirts,      82 pairs socks, 111 drawers, 98 caps.

If anyone is interested in learning more, please contact me on    [email protected]

Many Thanks

Jeff

JeffD

Keymaster

Thanks for posting, is there a link to an online store that sells it?

Participant

Hi Mike.

Anyone wishing to purchase should just contact me on my email …      [email protected]

The first print sold out in just two days, with sales all around the world- USA, Russia, Italy, Demark etc. A second print had to be done immediately!

The book provides exact details on how the various Confederate Regiments in the Army of Northern Virginia were clothed in September 1862. Forget the barefeet and ragged clothing, these troops were well attired.

An earlier work, Never in Rags, concentrated on the ANV during 1863. Again it cites huge uniform issues to all Confederate Regiments. This work is also available through me. And I am always willing to do special deals with Forum members.

Jeff

JeffD

Participant

Great – now you write this book, after I have painted up 15mm and 6mm Confederates armies, with maybe half in grey, the rest butternut.

Seriously though, sounds like an impressive bit of research, using primary sources to counter the existing wargaming myths.  I suspect a lot of historical wargaming is pretty much built on a shaky house of cards.  (A lot of the WRG Ancients army list books show an amazing amount of detail on armies that have very, very little actual evidence).

Keymaster

This the one?

Participant

just out of interest, that dark steel grey English cloth, would it have been the same or similar to the cloth Longstreets corps were issued with on their to Chickamauga?

Participant

Hi.

Yes the cloth imported from England (manufactured at the Hainsworth Mills in Yorkshire) was a very dark blue/grey colour, slightly less harsh than federal blue, which led to numerous cases of ‘friendly fire’ especially in the last years of the War when the bulk of Lee’s Army had received such uniforms.

With regards to butternut… In the first 2 years of the War the large Confederate Depots produced millions of uniforms, mainly of ‘jeans cloth’, a cotton/wool blend. This material was usually dyed with natural products such as sumac or logwood which gave a medium grey colour. To secure the colours a ‘mordant’ (colour stabilizer) was required, but as there was a shortage it was usually left out of the process, hence uniforms tended to fade to a tan (butternut) hue in a short time. (They were never dyed butternut).As more English cloth was imported from 1863 onwards, jean cloth uniforms in the Army of Northern Virginia tended to grow scarcer, although in the Army of Tennessee jean uniforms were issued until the end of the war. Units in the Trans-Mississippi were issued both white and English blue/grey uniforms. Complicated eh?

To sum up, what colour you paint your figures depends on the Unit, the Date and the theatre of War.

Jeff

JeffD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.