Home Forums WWII New film: Hurricane

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just heard about this – a new film about 303 Squadron in the Battle of Britain.

YouTube trailer

Military history author

Participant

Watched the trailer (without sound) and it looks like it could be good! Thanks for the tip Russell

Participant

Trying to remember from way back when… I recall there being a BoB TV mini series, perhaps on Masterpiece Theater that focused on one squadron, maybe spitfires maybe hurricanes.  Cannot remember it’s name or if it were any good for the life of me, but this trailer jogged some sort of memory loose…  anyone remember this show?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Piece of Cake by Derek Robinson was the book and BBC  TV about a fictional RAF Squadron in early WW2.  I’ll look forward to Hurricane.

Participant

I remember reading the book. Didn’t realise they’d made it into a TV series.

Military history author

Here’s a clip:

Looks like the series is on youtube.

Apparently, they used some footage from “Battle of Britain”

Participant

There it is!  As soon as I read it Hornet Squadron leaped into my brain as ringing true.  Many thanks.

I too will look forwards to Hurricane.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Definitely looking forward to this one.

Likely to be a bit of a tear jerker too.

One site gives the budget estimate as $10 million.  That would be shoestring, by today’s standards.

I expect a lot of CGI.

Participant

I really hope they do a decent job of it.

The trailer doesn’t inspire enormous confidence — modern-sounding mid-Atlantic English, officers fighting among themselves as if they were in an American war film, and the ominous phrase “The Untold Story”, as if 303(Polish) were somehow not famous. Still, at least they won’t need to bend the historical record in order to include a classic “maverick pilot rebels against authority but succeeds massvely anyway” trope, because there’s the magnificent Josef František, top scorer of the BoB and “guest of the squadron” because he was too much of a danger to everyone else when flying in formation. 303’s is such a remarkable story anyway, I hope they don’t feel the need to “improve” upon it.

All the best,

John.

Participant

Looks interesting. Nice to see the old two tone underside of the Hurricane in the trailer.

Quite a timely reminder as Brexit looms large that Our finest hour wasnt an exclusively british affair with many Polish and Czech pilots flyin in RAF units. Free French too.

Although, thinking about the state of the various airforces of many other European countries at the time, the French in particular, it really goes to highlight the importance of Sydney Camm’s Hurricane, without which the RAF would’ve been right royally trounced.

An aircraft most worthy of its own dedicated movie. I can only hope the film lives up to the standard that both the aircraft and the brave pilots who flew them deserve. High hopes indeed.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.