Home Forums General Blogs New Leadhead PhD: A review of my collection of rules

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

A big move always has led me to have to restart from scratch my war-gaming colletions. It is the exigencies of the service, and no different this time. Only this time I have started not from what miniatures I want, but what rules I want to play. This is a major transition from my old philosophy of “get the minis and you will figure the rules out”. But I have found that having a set of rules that gives you a game you like, is more likely to make you want to collect miniatures (of course you can use them with any other rules you or your war-gaming community want) and importantly keep the collection during a massive move.

So here is a roster of rules I own and how much I care about playing them, if they can be played on a 36×36 inch table within one hour, or a hour and a half, whether I have a collection that can be used with them, and whether I want to get a collection for them.

https://newleadheadphd.blogspot.com/2023/01/new-plans-and-review-of-rule-sets-i-have.html

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

Axel Oxenstierna

Participant

I like your thinking, Konstantinos. One of the groups I play with periodically I’d characterise as “wargaming butterflies”: each time I see them they’re enthusing about new figures, new rules, new periods, which is all great but can result in a lot of fumbling through rulebooks playing unfamiliar games with half-painted armies … I and the gang at OWS are the opposite, having been stuck in our BBB rut for over a decade, but for the good reason that we can fight interesting and diverse battles across a rich variety of different C18-C20 wars without having to wrestle with a different ruleset every time. And then there is the other half of OWS, the competition gamers, who have progressed through different tournament rulesets over the decades (WRG, DBM, FOG, MeG, etc) while apparently playing the same ancients line-out every time. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anyway, I endorse your wise words: find the right game to play and let the rest follow.

To be frank I actually prefer being a wargaming butterfly to a certain degree, as it permits you to sample so much more then if you stuck to one system etc, but I also have come to see how at least having a favored system can help with collecting and enjoying the hobby.

Axel Oxenstierna

Participant

Maybe I’m a wargaming omnivore. I do try plenty of other games. Last weekend, as well as BBB, I played General d’Armee (Napoleonics), O Group (WWII), Test of Resolve (Wars of the Roses), Live Free or Die (AWI), Fire at Sea (WWII naval), and a professional military education map game of the 1799 campaign. All good fun, but also confirmed I’m happy with my core diet.

Hahaha, that is indeed a varied diet! Kudos!

Axel Oxenstierna

Participant

I just posted about the variety of games I played this month (with SYW to follow tonight). Lots of photos here. It’s a healthy balanced wargaming diet with no nasty brussels sprouts.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.