Home Forums Ancients New Podcast on "Aurelian"

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Sam Mustafa
    Participant

The latest podcast from HONOUR is now available. It discusses upcoming expansion sets for Blücher, and also gives a first look at the next HONOUR game, Aurelian.

To listen, click here.

Very nice, Sam! I’m at the point where I’ll basically buy rules from you sight unseen, but I still appreciate these updates.

Now when do we get a sci-fi system from you? 😉

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Sam Mustafa
    Participant

Now when do we get a sci-fi system from you?

Probably sooner than you think.  The basic game is more or less done.  It’s just a question of time now.  I bring it when I travel to Germany, because it’s so easy to pack and doesn’t require any terrain, nor any figures beyond 1 ship per person.

Mike
    Keymaster

Probably sooner than you think

:O

Need a ground game, too. 😀 Is the space game an off-shoot of your much talked about carrier battle system?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Cyclopeus
    Participant

Aurelian sounds great! I can’t wait to see the rules.

What shape would the legion’s shields be in the third century? Is that the rectangular ones, of the later oval shields?

Sam Mustafa
    Participant

There’s actually a lot of debate about that, since 3rd century sources are so fragmentary and contradictory, and just plain missing.   The segmented armor and scutum was going out of service in the early 3rd century, but exactly how long it lasted, and in what places, remains unknown.  The soldiers were gradually switching over to chainmail cloaks, with a different sort of helmet, and the pilum had been replaced by a spear, and an oval shield was in use by mid-century.

Cyclopeus
    Participant

Ok great! I already have some Baccus Early Empire Romans with the rectangular shields, so I think I’ll boldly go forth with those for now.

I love what you have done with your other rules, and I can’t wait to see these.

willb
    Participant

Based on the podcast and the time period covered by the game , Baccus Late Imperial Romans would be the figures to use.   The rectangular shield had been replaced by the oval shield by the end of the second century.   The Lorica Segmentata may still have been in use in rare cases.   Source: Armies and Enemies of Imperial Rome, figures 7, 8, and 9.  The author, Phil Barker, believes the armor was leather, while others go with chain mail.  The book is being reprinted by Wargames Research Group.  The game sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing it released.  This period has also got the interest of GMT games.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by willb.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.