Home Forums WWII New rules available. History Dad

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

It’s been a hot minute since I have written for WW2, but I am pretty excited to announce the new title from Nordic Weasel Games (you may remember us from Five Men at Kursk, Squad Hammer and a couple glossy books from Modiphius).

You can find the Wargame Vault link here
    https://www.wargamevault.com/product/473159/History-Dad-The-Second-World-War

If you want the no-nonsense bits, it is ww2 platoon level action with alternating activations, very straight forward mechanics, suppression, delayed hit resolution… oh and it is playable solo, with a points system or using random forces.
    It is aimed at being a tiny bit lighter than some of the games in that space, making it suitable for pick up games, new players as well as folks crossing over from science fiction or from other game periods. Of course it is also perfectly suitable for folks who want a solid game experience and still have time to fire up the grill.

You can check out the full pitch here on the blog https://nordicweasel.posthaven.com/history-dad-is-live or at the WGV link.

I am of course ready to answer any questions you might have.

Participant

Huzzah wish Just Jack was still around.

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Good show!</p>

Participant

Any chance of a very simple example of play (that could be added to the blog) the system sounds very interesting (as always from NW) and very tempted to purchase, but would like a bit more info. Size of forces, table size, and sort of playing time. The vast majority of us will have collections for the likes of Bolt Action, Chain of Command etc and just interested if they can be used fully. A photo of one page of the rules on the blog or on WV would be great.

Really Great to see NW back in action!

Participant

Cheers, yeah I will do up a couple posts showing how a turn works and ao forth.

Participant

https://nordicweasel.posthaven.com/history-dad-core-mechanics-examples

Alright, post 1 is the basics of activations and shooting things. Posts later will talk about army building and a few other odds and ends. But I suspect this will help people suss out if they are into it or not.

Participant

Great stuff – thanks

Participant

https://nordicweasel.posthaven.com/history-dad-how-building-armies-work

A quick look at the ways you can build armies. I tried covering all the basic stuff, but if I forgot to answer something, please ask.

Participant

One of my ideas influenced Ivan Sorenson! The circle is complete!

I really like what I see. I love how simple it is, and I like how difference troop experience is implemented. I REALLY like the anti armor resolution. I dont think I’d use the optional penatration roll and instead just use the luck and location die as described.

Do patrons get this? I was looking and didn’t see how to get it.

Richmond, VA. Let's play!

Participant

Cheers retro and thank you for the kind words!

Im pretty excited about armour. THe intent is the non random system (luck and location should shake it up enough) but I wanted to include the random option for people who might get spicy at the notion that X gun will usually or rarely penetrate.

Its not on Patreon currently.

Participant

?? How come this thread gets a ‘Sticky’ post across other forums?
    Just askin’
    d

Participant

Huh, Im not sure. I just posted it to the ww2 forum since thats where it belongs.

Participant

What is the the groundscale and board size  and potentially the figure scale it is aimed at?   Is it designed for close terrain?   For me the ranges of Rifles, Bren/Bar and sustained fire MG’s would help assessing the rules.   What is are unique claims against say Crossfire or even Bolt action.

Participant

Cheers!

Standard movement range is 5″ for the average infantry unit. Small arms ranges is 30″ for a bolt action rifle, 40″ for a light machine gun and 50-60 for a heavy machine gun.
    Being a skirmish game, we don’t really cover speculative fire from machine guns.

This is intended to be pretty reasonable for 15mm scale and still looks and feels good in 28/32mm scale. From memory that’s a bit more range than Chain of Command (I think?) and Bolt Action, but not as much as in Arc of Fire.

You will want a good amount of terrain on the table. For table size, the scenarios usually assume about 24″ of neutral ground between where the armies set up so a 3×3 foot table is recommended. If you want to use piles of vehicles, you will want to scale that up (or do 15mm).
    Some scenarios start off part of the force in reserve and some do not.

Unique claims:
    Campaign rules included in the book. Options to generate forces randomly if you prefer, along with a points system. Solo mechanics that can be used on their own or with the Operations system to create simple campaigns. Delayed casualty resolution for infantry and for many vehicle hits.

And of course we use alternating activations, whereas many skirmish games use either a dice system or cards. Thats not a plus or minus, but some people prefer this or that, so it is worth mentioning.

Participant

Range wise I have seen much worse.  However to be fair to you, with a 3ft by 3ft table, range is a bit immaterial you HMG has the range of the table so its not an issue.   Good luck.

Interesting that solo play is a key issue, are there more folk needing that nowadays?

Participant

Yeah, I felt a little funny putting ranges on things like tank guns, since by definition any skirmish gaming table is “really beeping close” for a tank but hey 🙂

There’s a much larger demand for games that are playable solo that I see, but to an extent my usual audience on the scifi and fantasy side also expect it. Its also a competitive advantage I suppose. If you don’t have to talk the entire gaming group into a new game at first, but you can still get it to table, thats a nice touch.

Participant

Talking of Just Jack, he seems to have been operating “off grid” for quite some time and it got me wondering, does anyone know if he’s OK?

Participant

I’ll text him and check in.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.