Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic new Shadows of the Eagles napoleonic rules

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Shadow of Eagles, a new set of Napoleonic wargame rules started arriving in gamer’s post boxes today.

This is a set of rules that has an emphasis on simplification and feel and my first impressions are positive.

I have done a bit of a write up on the blog that show the sequence of play, contents of the book and some of the mechanics and flavour of play. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/05/shadow-of-eagles-new-napoleonic-rules.html

Participant

Very useful review Norm.

Participant

Yes indeed.  Well done Norm.  I don’t really need another set of Napoleonic rules but, well you know how it is.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

Yes I do …….. you will enjoy them when they arrive 🙂

Participant

Thank you Norm for a interesting and well informed review, I hope to see these in action when I catch up with Keith in October (hopefully).

Participant

Norm, using your technique, I solo tested the free 321 Fast Play Napoleonic Rules 5.0  here.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

I put this on your blog;

An interesting run out. Having done this a few times, I think the first result can just happen, whatever game we play and sometime you just have to take your knocks, but the second go seemed more middle of the road and perhaps what might be expected more often. That result with both sides tired, but the defender still holding seemed to be the ‘result’ that I came up with most often and in the bigger game would be the point that reserves or supports would matter.

I noticed in the Shadows of the Eagles game, that at mid game, a goodly number of units were reaching their ‘weakened’ status and that all of a sudden, the commanders job became fraught trying to hold everyone together (reducing hits) and the search was on for fresh units immediately to hand …… of course there were none!

Though the situation is simple, it would highlight those system that always allow a successful assault or a successful repulse, so perhaps we are hoping that most test will land somewhere in the middle ground of all that.

As you say, the 321 rules are an incredible price 🙂

Participant

Got my copy of the Shadows of the Eagles rules in the mail a couple days back. Must say, it is quite a nice job, both printing and rules design. I last tested an earlier version of the rules in February 2020, just before the lockdown. I liked them then but a lot of polishing happened while I was quarantined. Some really elegant rules ideas, like the skirmish screens. And the charge/close combat has been sharpened. Looking forward to playing the first scenario when I get back home next month.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Participant

Look forward to your reading about your playing experiences. Agree it is a ‘nice job’ and an easy enjoyable read with some good depth.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.