Home Forums WWII New SOTCW article: 44M Buzogányvető anti-tank rocket

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Russell Phillips Russell Phillips 6 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Russell Phillips
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

There’s a new article on the SOTCW website, by Grant Parkin. This one is about the WWII Hungarian 44M Buzogányvető anti-tank rocket.

This spice packs a punch!

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

An interesting read, thanks.  I am left wondering just how accurate an unguided rocket would be trying to engage individual AFVs at up to 2000m range?  There are plenty of images produced by a Google search BTW.

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Russell Phillips
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

An interesting read, thanks. I am left wondering just how accurate an unguided rocket would be trying to engage individual AFVs at up to 2000m range?

My guess would be “not very accurate at all”, but I don’t really know.

There are plenty of images produced by a Google search BTW.

Yes, but as it says in the note at the start, I couldn’t find copyright information on any of them, so couldn’t use them.

John D Salt
    John D Salt
    Participant

Fascinating, and a new one on me. One to add to the collection of weird and wonderful WW2 tank-busting weaponry alongside the Kartukov ampulomyot, the LMG rocket-mine, and the 70mm Type 4 rocket launcher.

But isn’t the “mace” referred to here the weapon, rather than the plant? The Russians have a strange fondness for naming their artillery pieces after flowers, and of course the Brits had “Tulip”, but I doubt the Hungarians did it, and on-line dictionaries seem to indicate the hitting-stick.

All the best,

John.

Russell Phillips
    Russell Phillips
    Participant

But isn’t the “mace” referred to here the weapon, rather than the plant?

I don’t really know, but the author has said that all his sources claimed that it was named after the plant. *shrug*

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.