Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy New Splintered Light Kickstarter

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Rhoderic Rhoderic 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Just thought I’d give you all a head’s up.
    There’s a new kickstarter from Splintered Light for a whole passel of new beastmen from Ben Siens.

Goatmen,lionmen,bearmen,tree creatures and a truely kickass Minotaur.
    Some nice attainable stretch goals and a large tree creature/treant earlybird extra.

There’s also deals for existing Ben Siens sculpts(orcs,goblins,dark elves…) and you can get them at a discount as add ons to your pledge.

just backed this myself, both for the new ones and to get my mits on some of the older stuff.

Some pics

Cheers,
    Stroezie.

If you like 6mm scifi check out http://planetares6.blogspot.be/?m=0

Angel Barracks
    Angel Barracks

Saw that on the front page.

The big ass minotaur is pretty sweet indeed.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Oops! Sorry,

I really should make a habit of visiting the front page first instead of always going straight to the forum.

Feel free to delete this thread if you think it’s to much clutter.

Also, yes that minotaur is tha bomb! (and also the thing that suckered me into yet another miniatures kickstarter )

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I like that Splintered Light has already done Ben Siens dark elves, orcs & goblins, ratmen and a smattering of other mean beasties (giants, ogres, ghouls, trogs, etc.) and are now adding Ben Siens beastmen to the mix. I can see myself doing a 15mm skirmish project, using only Siens sculpts (as they have a rather distinctive style), set in a bleak, forbidding region similar to Naggaroth in the old Warhammer world where there are only evil races and cultures that are constantly at each other’s throats. Makes me think of the old Malus Darkblade comics in Warhammer Monthly, which I always liked.

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

That’s actually one of the things that kept me back from investing in any of the previous ranges.

they’re great figures but, to me, they don’t really mix well with all the Deamonworld stuff I already have. These Beastmen and Treefolk however…  plus…  that, drool, Minotaur!!!

Oh and also

15 mm Slaine and Ukko!

Happy, happy!

Joy, joy!

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

Hmmm see, I have been wondering about Slaine.
    15mm makes sense given my terrain, but the Brigade Celtos range….

Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

Well, all the current stretch goals are in and the possibility for more has been annaunced.

And as a bonus David said that anyone wanting to add packs from any of the other existing ranges from the store should just shoot him an email.( I have done so and he even gave me the same 20% kickstarter discount on them.)

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

That’s actually one of the things that kept me back from investing in any of the previous ranges. they’re great figures but, to me, they don’t really mix well with all the Deamonworld stuff I already have.

Do you have (or know of any) comparison photos?

Even having said that Ben Siens has a very distinctive style and that I’d like to do a highly self-contained project using only his sculpts, I also want to do a larger, more nebulous 15mm “D&D-esque” project from a combination of different manufacturers’ figures. Siens sculpts have a very stylish, larger-than-life look about them, but at the same time, so do Werner Klocke sculpts like the Demonworld range (which is mostly his work).

Incidentally, both Siens and Klocke are prominent sculptors for Reaper. I could quite easily see myself combining heroic 28mm Reaper figures from those two sculptors in one and the same project. But then I can’t recall having actually seen photos of Siens and Klocke sculpts next to each other. And for that matter, I’m not sure I’d want to combine any two Reaper sculpts in the same project – regardless of sculpting style – on the mere premise that they’re from the same manufacturer (for instance, I adore classic Sandra Garrity sculpts, but in my mind her romantic style doesn’t seem to mix well with the “crank it up to 11” style of either Siens or Klocke).

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.
    Stroezie
    Stroezie
    Participant

No piccies I’m afraid, and to be honest I had mainly been looking at the dark elves.

The demonworld elves proto japanese look does not mix well with the splintered light dark elves imo.

That being said, looking at the orks, goblins and undead, they seem to be a lot more compatible so what do I know.

Dang! This kickstarter could become expensive now😋

Cheers,

Stroezie.

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

No piccies I’m afraid, and to be honest I had mainly been looking at the dark elves. The demonworld elves proto japanese look does not mix well with the splintered light dark elves imo.

Ah, I see. You were referring more to the style of dress and grooming whereas I took it to be more about general sculpting style.

Comparing the two dark elf ranges (only just now), I must agree. They’re better off kept in separate projects, or at least defined as separate cultures within the same project.

Some of the other races I might be prepared to combine, by the same standard that I might be prepared to combine certain heroic 28mm Reaper sculpts from certain different sculptors. It would be one of my less aesthetically stringent projects, but I’d be prepared to brute-force it, knowing I can always fall back on the more stringent projects (like the the Siens-only one, and possibly a parallel Klocke-only one) if the blend of styles gets to be too much.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.