Home Forums Air and Sea Naval New Victory colour

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rory McCreadie
    Participant

After my trip to see the Victory in her new/old paint job. I had to do my 1-2400 scale Victory in the same colour. You can see the different with the more standard British hull colour on the Britannia. Some have reported she is now “pink”. I would say she is more terracotta.

Be safe

Rory   

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

McKinstry
    Participant

Nice. Who is the manufacturer?

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Hi McKinstry,

They are “Tumbling Dice” 1-2400 scale Napoleonic ships.

Be safe

Rory

He who says he makes no mistakes, is making the biggest mistake of all. Or does bugger all. Rory

McKinstry
    Participant

Those are wonderfully well done. The rigging at the scale is perfect. How did you do the rat lines?

Brian Weathersby
    Participant

McKinstry,

I think the ratlines are cast as part of the model, but am not sure.

BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Hi All,

Yes! The rat-lines are a part of the models.

They say to undercoat the ships black. I do not this. I undercoat they a mid-brown. This way I can dry-brush the rat-lines black. The castings are so good that they show up very well. I think this makes them look less dense. As old wood is brown I think this looks better than black on the model at this small scale.

I glue the sails on first (metal to metal). If you glue after painting the paint to paint bond is not as strong. This makes painting the masts a pain. I do then first as they are so hard to get too around the sails and rat-lines. I do have a paint that matches my spray brown under-coat. So I can patch in my mistakes. I make lots of mistakes. I do add some rigging, not the best! but it adds to the look. Hope this helps.

Be safe

Rory

McKinstry
    Participant

Thanks Rory. I’ll try that brown base with a black drybrush. Those ratlines look way better than anything I was getting trying it as black over gray.

Rory McCreadie
    Participant

Hi McKinstry,

Glad to help. Please let me know how you get on. Photo’s are not always the same as in real life.

Be safe

Rory

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.