Home Forums WWII new WWII scenario book

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Norm S
    Participant

I have been looking through a new WWII scenario book for company / battalion level actions set in Jan / April 1945 on the western front, Published by Anschluss Publishing.

I have blogged initial observations. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2021/05/wwii-scenario-book-forgotten-battles.html

deephorse
    Participant

Thanks for this Norm.  I haven’t heard of these rules, and I have no intention of changing from the ones that I do use, but your description of the scenario book has made me send off for a copy.

I’ve been looking for information to help me fight Western Front battles that are nowhere near Normandy.  To that end I recently bought a copy of ‘Theirs the Strife’ by John Russell.  It is a tremendously detailed book, and just right for very late war scenario ideas.  It looks like this scenario book is just what I’m looking for too.  I will probably have to tinker with the level that the scenarios are set at, because my rules of choice don’t go down to individual platoons or vehicles.  But I don’t anticipate that being a problem.  And I’ll just ignore all the specific rules related stuff, unless I see a good idea that I can borrow.

Thanks again for highlighting this book Norm, for without you I would probably never have become aware of it.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

This sounds great.  I am a big fan of realistic scenarios that are not balanced for “equal and fair play”, as that is not how wars are fought.  I don’t know about the rules, but this book sounds quite useful for a couple of other games I play.  Thanks for the review.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Norm S
    Participant

Thanks. The book will not disappoint and the fact that you anticipate tinkering and don’t feel that a barrier, makes me all the more convinced that you get get much from it.

Agree about the value of realistic scenarios, one of the things that has come to interest me is given a single situation and an order-of-battle (i.e. a historical scenario), how different rules can take those fixed elements and produce a game, in which we get to see the emphasis that a particular designer places on the management of a game.

Thuseld
    Participant

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of this book, but I worry that with the limited amount of games I get in, I might be trying to run before I can walk.

6mmwargaming
    Participant

Thanks for your blog posts, the rules and scenario book sound very good. I started on the WRG WW2 rules and I still have fond memories of these, so any rules which were influenced by these appeal to me.

The rules and scenarios seem like a similar size to IABSM (they also use 1 inf base = 1 section), so I think  there is a wealth of scenarios for either rulesets.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.