Home Forums Nordic Weasel Games General No End in Sight for Twilight 2000

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Would No End in Sight work well for a Twilight 2000-style campaign?  Or would No Hope in Sight without the mutants etc. work best?

Participant

Played NEiS a few times. You need massively dense terrain and many of the rules are not finished or appear as an idea only. I would try Force on Force/Ambush Alley or Battlespace myself.

Participant

Thanks.  I have Force on Force but haven’t played it much – but I had thought that was more aimed at platoon level than at squad level?

Participant

Yes, but it will do squad, especially in it’s Ambush Alley version. AA is also more of an asymmetric oriented set of rules. Battlespace is fireteam level but can be brought up to a couple teams or more. I didn’t find NEiS as fun when actually taking it to the table is all. Some issues and a lot of feel.

Participant

Thanks madman.  I don’t have Ambush Alley (is that still available anywhere?) but I will have a look at how FoF copes.

Participant

AA can be gotten on Wargamevault. So can a lot of FoF stuff, but I recently bought a few pdfs direct from the ambush alley web site. I was nervous, as Ambush Alley Games hasn’t done much recently,  but the purchase went off fine.

One drawback is the solo rules (suggestions really on how the opposing forces would behave) have the insurgents being very combat avoiding. Makes sense as a realistic way they would behave but makes for a dull game. In my first game I played them as I would have reacted and it was more enjoyable. So I think if your T2000 group is up against local thugs or self congratulating militia they would behave thusly and you could move through the area with little danger. If you would be meting near peer forces from either your own side gone rogue or the Soviet block then run them as regular soldiers and “wing” how they would behave.

Please note I am familiar with the concept of T2000 but never played it so how encounters would play out is not in my sphere of knowledge. I assume you are trying to get from what was the front lines to “some other place” be it home, headquarters or a safe place one of your group knows, or has heard, about then a lot of highly variable encounters would make sense. Each encounter would have their own objectives, some would want to steal your stuff, some want to defend “their” territory (be it really theirs or what they have taken over), some would be willing to aide you on your way (for trade goods I assume) and some would want just to take what you have, sell you into slavery or kill you outright. Perhaps I am wrong but I get that this would be the direction of your campaign.

I am very big into another post apoc RPG (the Morrow Project) and have always wanted to game the border wars between the main antagonists. You could also turn many of the RPG encounters into games as opposed to RPG sessions as well.

One last set of rules which promised a lot but I felt it didn’t deliver when we tried playing it is Hell & Uncivil Disorder. Seems like a lot of great ideas but not a complete set of actual rules. So many questions I asked, many answers were not satisfactory. The feel I got was somewhere between “well me and my mates have been playing my games for years so we know how to handle things” and “me and my mates played XX in the past so this was similar therefore WE knew what was meant”. In either case I think it was only playtested by the designer and his buddies who either knew how he thinks or he house ruled answers at the time which never made it into print. If you want to create lots of real answers to “what the h@ll does he mean by that” sections, or use them from elsewhere, a really interesting set of ideas.

Hope some of this helps.

Participant

Say Whirlwind, are you wanting your games/rules to be aimed at individual soldiers and their performance, or acting as a cohesive squad?  That would drastically change the rules you might look into.  In the looong past I’ve played TW2K table top game using the Striker rules (ostensibly for Traveller!) and FoF for bigger battles but most recently I have played with individual miniatures as part of a short campaign (short due to TPK) and we used the rules from FNG 2nd Tour from THW (as it can allow for individuals to activate at different times even when within the same squad), Skirmish Sangin (had to revamp it a bit to be equal level forces) which is much more detailed, and as well Final Combat/SOF Warrior which is REALLY detailed.

If you haven’t already, check out http://500twilight2000.blogspot.com/ lots of cool info there.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

@madman,

yes, your concept of how it should play out is correct. many thanks for those thoughts.

@Darkest Star Games,

I think somewhere in-between…but probably more on the squad level than the individual soldier level; the basic idea is to play T2000-type adventures but have the combat as short, fast-paced sequences using some war-gamey rules rather than slower and detailed RPG-type combat, so the overall story can be pushed on faster.  I would also like to start the action a little earlier, so that some of the story can take place whilst still under military command and have the ‘falling apart’ sequence as part of the campaign, rather than as the premise for when the action starts.  That all makes sense?

Participant

AA and FoF the base game unit is a fire team of about 4 people. You consider what each soldier is equipped with but play it as a fire team. So each side has a number of teams. Organized and played as squads but handled as teams. Perhaps that matches what you are looking for?

Participant

I have FoF, so I am giving it a look over to see if it would be suitable; I have been investigating a couple of other things this week too – will let you know how I get on (and most importantly, what the players like)

Participant

Now why on earth did I think this was for solo play with you?

Participant

Well, it will be for that as well!  But one use for this is to try and use it for RPGs based on the ideas of Cyberpunk, Shadowrun and Twilight 2000 (which my kids like) but with a relatively speedy combat resolution on top of it.

Participant

Well, it will be for that as well! But one use for this is to try and use it for RPGs based on the ideas of Cyberpunk, Shadowrun and Twilight 2000 (which my kids like) but with a relatively speedy combat resolution on top of it.

Well frankly I do not know the combat systems of the games you mentioned. But FoF is reasonably quick and easy BUT you again are rolling for a fire team, definitely not individuals.

Also FoF uses many dice, not quite buckets full and you roll to hit then roll to save. Not one of my favorite procedures but one I am having to live with. Battlespace on the other had is a really simple procedure. The insurgents (in this case) have a “threat level” which is the number the soldiers have to roll equal to or less than on a D20. Only a couple modifiers for cover and soldier’s skill. Most insurgents can take a single hit and then are “out of the action”, some two. The soldiers can take 4, 3 makes them unconscious and out of the game. Soldiers have medics and first aid which can either remove wounds or keep them from dying. The work would be yours to determine what the opponents threat levels would be for the game. Also when the insurgents return fire the soldiers roll that number or greater to keep from being wounded. One relatively simple roll with quick results. The work is determining the opponents treat level. I would suggest playing a few games first to become familiar with the system then a few more giving the opponents differing threat levels and see how that affects game play.

Participant

There seems to be a new edition of Twilight 2000 coming out.  Interestingly enough, it’s still set in the year 2000, but an alternative timeline.

Twilight: 2000

There are some free downloads of maps and things which might be of use to you?  Personally, I’m intrigued by the phrase “hexcrawling system”.  To me, that seems to imply a heavily map based component, which I find quite interesting.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.