Home Forums Modern No End in Sight is released!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

The M113 is burning behind you, the Reds are coming on strong. the platoon is in bad shape and mortar support is nowhere to be seen.

As platoon commander, you have to rely on your squad leaders to push your troops forward, lay down suppressing fire and win the fire fight.
    No End in Sight is a comprehensive guide to contemporary, cold war and near future combat. Lead an infantry platoon through random battles, several campaign styles or scenarios of your own design. Track the progress of your squad leaders as you play.

The rules feature an innovative activation and reaction fire mechanic that leaves you making important and tough choices constantly. Know when to push and when to hold off. Your men have to last for a long fire fight and you may run out of steam when you least expect it.

Combat is written to produce a fairly realistic level of casualties. Most fire will serve to pin and suppress the enemy with modest casualty rates until you close to assault.

Command battle hardened professionals and insurgent militia, dismantle IED’s, call in artillery fire, evac the wounded and take on enemy tanks. It’s all covered.

The rules are written to be both playable and enjoyable on a small gaming space, using approximately a platoon plus appropriate supports, APC’s and assorted vehicles on each side.

Run your own invented campaign or use the included systems to:

*Conduct “Hearts and Minds” peacekeeping in a foreign land (or throw the invaders out)

*Fight to prevent the “Domino Theory” from coming true.

*Engage the NATO/Warsaw Pact while hoping the conflict does not escalate out of control.

Play tested by active service military personnel.

NOTE:

This is not a FiveCore system. It’s an original, stand-alone game.

Suitable for any individually based miniatures.
    <p style=”margin-bottom: 0in; line-height: 100%;”></p>
    <p style=”margin-bottom: 0in; line-height: 100%;”>Hop over to the Wargames Vault, pop in 14.99 and they’re yours!</p>
    <p style=”margin-bottom: 0in; line-height: 100%;”>http://www.wargamevault.com/product/135451/No-End-in-Sight-Cold-war-and-modern-platoon-combat</p&gt;

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://www.wargamevault.com/browse/pub/5701/Nordic-Weasel-Games?src=browse5701

kyoteblue
    Participant

Damn it I need to send you more money…..

Paul
    Participant

From playtest request to finished product in just over a month. Will have to pick it up tonight, because I really enjoyed the play test games.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

kyoteblue
    Participant

I’ll also need to order some moderns from QRF via Scale Creep Miniatures.

kyoteblue
    Participant

I have a Cold War Scenario thought up …It will be called ย The Goddess Loves you Murphy.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

From playtest request to finished product in just over a month. Will have to pick it up tonight, because I really enjoyed the play test games.

Not wasting any time ๐Ÿ™‚

Though it was cheating a little bit, since I had done some private testing before the public request. But you can’t tell if it’s going to be good or not until you’ve had other people poke their hands all over your rules. ๐Ÿ™‚

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    Participant

I will wait for some reviews on blogs explaining the game a bit more before I buy a set; but the rules sound very interesting, and something I would probably play.

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Maybe Paul can give his thoughts?

If you want, I can give a quick overview of the basic mechanics tomorrow. Obviously, for an unbiased opinion, you’ll have to get it from someone other than myself ๐Ÿ™‚

Nordic Weasel Games

Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Okay, so the basic breakdown of the game, mechanically:

The game is driven by leaders (squad or platoon).

When it’s your turn to go, pick one of your leaders and roll 1D6. That’s how many activation points you get. Typically, 1 point activates 1 soldier under that guys command to move and fire or rallies a pinned figure.

You can spend points on a few other things (launching RPG’s, getting marksmen into position, taking control of soldiers not in your squad etc)

After each activation, the leader has a point of Stress added. (with dice, markers or similar).

Next time it’s your turn, you can activate any leader you want, including ones that already acted. However, their stress is deducted from the activation rolls, giving you less AP the more you push the same leader.

If a leader rolls no activation points, he becomes exhausted and cannot activate again.

When all leaders are exhausted (by dice or voluntarily), the phase ends, you assess whether either side has won yet. If not, remove three stress from each leader (Any left over becomes permament), then begin a new phase.

That’s the basic turn sequence.ย  I’ll touch on the firing mechanics later this afternoon.

Nordic Weasel Games

Paul
    Participant

Sorry guys would have pitched in earlier but I managed to stick my hand in boiling water last night (don’t ask – stupid me), and its not so easy to type when your hand is wrapped in a burn-bandage.

shelldrake, I’m sure Ivan can better summarize the rules than I, but take it from me; these rules are awesome. They are easy to learn, quick to play, and give satisfying outcomes. You really feel as if your squad leaders are important, but if you push them too far and expect too much of them, they will crash.

The rules are less complex than Force on Force, but still manage to “feel” realistic.

Haven’t used the campaign rules yet, but they certainly do look interesting.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Dude, try to not hurt your self. We need AAR !!!

shelldrake
    Participant

Thanks for the replies on the game mechanics, both here and the newer thread.

I really like the sounds of the game, and will ask some other questions on the other thread.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.