Home Forums Modern No End in Sight Questions thread

This topic contains 54 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)
  • Author
    shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

I have decided to start this topic for people to ask questions about the rules.

And here is my first question:

Squad Automatic weapons gain  +2 Fire power dice. Are GPMG classed as SAWs or, as they are heavier weapons than SAWs, would they get a bit more fire power (+3 instead of +2 for example)?

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Good question, I just saw the cover save rule that I had missed the first 5 read thru’s.

So Shoot ,Hit ,Save if in cover…

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by kyoteblue kyoteblue.
    Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

I have decided to start this topic for people to ask questions about the rules. And here is my first question: Squad Automatic weapons gain +2 Fire power dice. Are GPMG classed as SAWs or, as they are heavier weapons than SAWs, would they get a bit more fire power (+3 instead of +2 for example)?

Juuuuuust noticed this sorry. I thought I had this forum set up to email notify me.

My gut feeling is that if it’s carried by an infantry squad, it’s a SAW and is +2. Now, I could totally see giving GPMG a +3 (and in ww2, MG42 might get that too) so go for it.

A very weak SAW might only be +1. WW2 BAR will fit that. I thought about it for RPK’s but in the end, it seems they do just fine in the field so didn’t want to downgrade them.

As an aside, if the GPMG is set up on its own with plenty of ammo and a crew, rather than squad support, it becomes a crew served machine gun. Confused yet? 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Ivan Sorensen Ivan Sorensen.

Nordic Weasel Games
    https://sites.google.com/site/nordicweaselgames/

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Good question, I just saw the cover save rule that I had missed the first 5 read thru’s. So Shoot ,Hit ,Save if in cover…

Yeah, if the guy who takes the hit is in cover, 4+ save and he becomes pinned if he saves. (The rule was called “Oh Shit” in playtesting).

To elaborate on that, you assign the hits before rolling saves. So if a few guys are in the open and they take the hits, no save for them. Should have been behind the wall.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hey Ivan.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Hey Ivan.

Hey Grandpa 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

LOL Get off my lawn ya damned kids !!!

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Two things to try out:

Recovering wounded:

If you don’t mind an extra die roll, toss a die every time you stabilize a wounded trooper. On a 6, he’s back to fighting condition, any other roll, he’s stabilized as per the main rules.

Out of ammo:

A simpler option for the “Ammo” rule for Irregulars is just to pin an Irregular firer for every 1 they roll on the kill dice when firing.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I’ll post my questions tomorrow. Got to talk to my Grand Daughter Kay Kay tonight, so happy and relieved.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Aw, glad to hear it 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

1. If your shock die miss and your kill die hit, is it still a hit ?

2. Can troops dig in ?

3. Can the Platoon commander remove shocks/pins from a squad he is in contact with ?

4. Can cover saves be used against shock?

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

1. If your shock die miss and your kill die hit, is it still a hit ? 2. Can troops dig in ? 3. Can the Platoon commander remove shocks/pins from a squad he is in contact with ? 4. Can cover saves be used against shock?

1: Shock and Kill dice are separate so yes, it’s still a hit. It’s possible that they nailed a guy but the rest of the squad keeps their heads up.

2: During a game no. I’m working on some ideas for pre-game fortifications.

3: Yes, he can spend his activation roll on anything he likes.

4: No, shock can’t be prevented (originally troops in cover only took Shock on a 6 but I didn’t like that)

Hope that helps!

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

We did 4 wrong.  I’m still trying to unlearn FOW so I can learn NEIS.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

How do I buy the new supplement , Ivan ?????!!!

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I have no paypal or credit cards, so can’t buy from them.

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

I have no paypal or credit cards, so can’t buy from them.

Create an account with them and I can send a copy to you as a gift if you like – all above board and paid for of course

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by shelldrake shelldrake.
    kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I’m sorry Shelldrake I have no idea how to do that. But thank you for the offer.

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

I’m sorry Shelldrake I have no idea how to do that. But thank you for the offer.

Dead easy – you use your email to log in like you would this site. Voila! account created. No need to buy anything. It also means you can download the free items they have on the web site.

Once done, let me know your email and I can gift you the supplement.

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Ok I think I did that, not sure. my e-mail is [email protected]

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

If you can log in to the page, you have done it correctly.

As part of the checkout proceedure for me:

“Once you complete the checkout process, this order will be associated with the account belonging to <b>jonathankeepers </b>at<b> yahoo </b>dot <b>com</b>. They will get an email notifying them of this purchase with download links included. They can also sign in at any point and go to Account, and they will see this purchase listed in their order history. Note that you will <i>not</i> see this purchase in your own purchase history, because it will be linked to their account.”

As long as the email is correct and you can log in, it will be there for you.

I changed the email in the above message so that spam bots wont get the address. I recommend you do the same for the email you provided me too 🙂

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I got it shelldrake thank you, I have to wait till my Computer Wizard is back in town to down load it thou, so maybe tomorrow.

Spurious
    Spurious
    Participant

Picked up the set last week, have had a read through it and a couple of quick playtests and have a few questions/comments about it:

How do you define line of sight?

Is the wording on the close assault section to imply that no cover saves are allowed?

Does terrain other than barrier-types have an effect on movement?

How is terrain defined in terms of area for the sake of such things as determining if it is providing benefit?

As for suggestions:

Some sort of training scenario included within the system would be nice, both to aid learning and to show what a designed scenario should look like. Perhaps add the ‘observe’ action for vehicles to the main action point use list (certainly on the quick reference sheet). For another vehicle trait of use if you’ve not already: limited arcs. Was thinking about that when working on a BMP-3 model, where whilst mounted the passengers can operate two forward-facing limited arc-of-fire PKTs.

Nice work overall btw, am going to inflict it on my FoF players and see how they take to it (I suspect the lack of complex reaction chains but still keeping reactions as a thing will be pleasing, certainly is for me).

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Picked up the set last week, have had a read through it and a couple of quick playtests and have a few questions/comments about it:

Thanks for buying and answers below.

How do you define line of sight?

Skirmish style, from model to model (unless I am misunderstanding your question?)

Is the wording on the close assault section to imply that no cover saves are allowed?

Correct.

Does terrain other than barrier-types have an effect on movement?

Not at the moment (the 3″ move rate in cover already factors in picking through rubble and whatnot)

How is terrain defined in terms of area for the sake of such things as determining if it is providing benefit?

For hard cover, you need to be directly behind the cover, so the figure is touching the cover. For “area” cover, I mark out the “base” of the terrain feature.

Figures touching the edge of the feature are positioned to look out while those not touching the edge are too deep.

As for suggestions: Some sort of training scenario included within the system would be nice, both to aid learning and to show what a designed scenario should look like.

Yeah, good catch. If I get a chance over the next week or two, I may try to add in a scenario or two.

Perhaps add the ‘observe’ action for vehicles to the main action point use list (certainly on the quick reference sheet).

Certainly.

For another vehicle trait of use if you’ve not already: limited arcs. Was thinking about that when working on a BMP-3 model, where whilst mounted the passengers can operate two forward-facing limited arc-of-fire PKTs.

Yeah, can’t believe I missed that.

Nice work overall btw, am going to inflict it on my FoF players and see how they take to it (I suspect the lack of complex reaction chains but still keeping reactions as a thing will be pleasing, certainly is for me).

Let me know how that goes 🙂 A lot of people have said that it reminds them of FoF but simpler.

Nordic Weasel Games

Spurious
    Spurious
    Participant

With the line of sight thing I am thinking of which specific method it’d be, such as drawing a line base edge or centre to equivalent/model to model/’true’ line of sight type variations.

A lot of people have said that it reminds them of FoF but simpler.

Well, you’re approaching the same problem of modelling platoon level combat with very similar sensibilities but a slightly different focus and methodology, comparisons are inevitable and very useful for explaining it, since both your game and FoF do things in very atypical ways for wargames; which I consider to be to their strength especially in representing the complexities of modern warfare (such as your note about how sides get beaten without ridiculous casualties). It’s definitely a complimentary comparison.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

With the line of sight thing I am thinking of which specific method it’d be, such as drawing a line base edge or centre to equivalent/model to model/’true’ line of sight type variations.

Oh, I gotcha. We measure it from roughly the middle of the infantry base to the middle of the targets base but with an important caveat:

When figures are placed on corners or similar, we always clarify if they are leaning out or not. If not, we nudge them back a bit more, so it’s clear they aren’t in sight.

Well, you’re approaching the same problem of modelling platoon level combat with very similar sensibilities but a slightly different focus and methodology, comparisons are inevitable and very useful for explaining it, since both your game and FoF do things in very atypical ways for wargames; which I consider to be to their strength especially in representing the complexities of modern warfare (such as your note about how sides get beaten without ridiculous casualties). It’s definitely a complimentary comparison.

I hear you (and yes, the casualty bit was a pet peeve of mine. People often insist that you have to have high casualty rates for a game to be fun, and I wanted to disprove that).

Appreciate the nice words and don’t be afraid to ask if something seems unclear.

Nordic Weasel Games

shelldrake
    shelldrake
    Participant

People often insist that you have to have high casualty rates for a game to be fun…

It is only fun for the person causing the high casualties.

I like the low casualty rates of NEiS as it suits campaign play a lot more, and it means you don’t have to replace your soldiers every game.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Not a question- Yet.

But an observation – Curse you Nordic Weasel! And thank you for the sale – perfect timing.

I’ve been humming and hawing over this for a few days, since I saw it on this site and the sale price made it irresistible. Just bought it.

So now I’ve got to go and start buying more figures – and terrain- and paint and… this isn’t going to be as painless as I thought is it?

But thanks again.

Guy

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Not a question- Yet. But an observation – Curse you Nordic Weasel! And thank you for the sale – perfect timing. I’ve been humming and hawing over this for a few days, since I saw it on this site and the sale price made it irresistible. Just bought it. So now I’ve got to go and start buying more figures – and terrain- and paint and… this isn’t going to be as painless as I thought is it? But thanks again. Guy

Thanks for buying and hope you enjoy. Ask away if you run into questions 🙂

What scale are you shooting for?

Nordic Weasel Games

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Good question, and one of the reasons I’ve been dithering.

Would like 15mm I think – but what I want to do really is 70s NI Troubles – a tad contentious I suspect- but I have no idea if the figures exist in this scale – 20mm seems much better represented, but I want to fit this into a smaller table space if possible – particularly for terrain reasons.

10mm and 6mm might work and I’m drawn to them for both space and the feeling of figures being lost in the landscape and because of the reach of modern weapons. And I have some figures that will work but I just feel this size of figure may be too small for this level of action. I’m going to have to play around and get looking to see what’s available.

But all nice problems.

Thanks again :^)

Guy

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Yeah, those aren’t the worst problems you could have 🙂

For me, 15mm has been the best balance between nice figures and a wide variety of stuff available. You can also build mechanized units without breaking the bank. That being said, I have 10mm WW2 stuff and it’s amazingly detailed. I would absolutely have no hesitation going that route either for a game.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

I do all my gaming in 15mm that way all my buildings and terrain works together.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Being able to recycle terrain is a big one, though for a lot of stuff, I think you can move between say 10 and 15 or 15 and 20 and not have too much problem.

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Looking forward to getting the house in a few weeks , it has a 3 car garage that I have claimed as my gameroom/mancave. I plan on making both modern and WW1 terrain. Er in 15mm.

Just Jack
    Participant

Guy Farrish,

You questioned the ability to do NI in 10mm, and I just wanted to let you know I believe it can be done with Pendraken’s Falklands Islands range.  Bear with me, this is my first post here, but I’ll try to post some pics of my guys, as well as links to my blog where you can find more pics of the Pendrakens painted up.

For the Brits, please use the Brits 😉  For the Irish, I’d recommend using the Brit and Argentinian special forces.  I hope this helps.

Singly based on pennies.

Link to the post with the Brit pics (there’s a lot more):

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2014/03/im-back-with-more-troops.html

Irregulars, using Pendraken Falklands Brit and Argentinian SF.

Close up.  Forgive me, I took these photos before I started using a wash on my figures.

Here’s the link to a couple more photos of my Irregulars:

http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2013/08/modern-irregulars.html

There’s also about 80 or so battle reports using singly based 10mm troops, just to prove it can be done 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

Look who the cat dragged in 🙂

Nordic Weasel Games

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Hey Just Jack !! Glad you made it here. I have a thread here called Oil Pumping Station Zebra. I’m slowly learning the NEIS rules. And painting my 15mm moderns up.

Just Jack
    Participant

Yeah fellas, I’m here.  And I’m here because I only want to talk about wargaming and wargames.

Ivan, I sent you a PM on a different site, but I think I’ll post it here and see what comes back.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Cool by us.

Ivan Sorensen
    Ivan Sorensen
    Participant

It is called the “wargames website’ for a reason 🙂

I missed your message since I spent all day pounding away at my keyboard to get the werewolf thing for FiveCore done. So go ahead and repost the question here.

Nordic Weasel Games

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.