Home Forums General General Non-Miliitary Figures

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lagartija Mike
    Spectator

Apropos of nothing, I’m up with insomnia and leafing through a book of prints from Diego Rivera’s Carnival of Mexican Life and wondering if the market of our hobby has room for extensive ranges of non-military figures, both for background color and to potentially expand the narrative depth of our games.

Angel Barracks

Yep.
    6mm in pretty much all of its guises is about the en-masse feel.
    Be that ancients, modern through to sci-fi etc.

The first range I released was 6mm sci-fi alien fauna as no-one had done them, they sold well.
    Then I released a pack of 6mm sci-fi civilians; farmers, explorers, traders etc. They sold well.
    Then later as I developed the range I released the Junker civilians, just regular colonist guys again civilians.
    These were followed up by armed versions, so the same clothes and what not but now armed.
    Then mounted versions, all keeping the same original civilian theme.

Recently I rand and funded a 6mm sci-fi crowdfunder to make 30 character models, these are all non military.
    Including alien horse riders, lawmen, bounty hunters, a scavenger family, commercial shuttle pilot, detainee, etc, all non military.
    The demand is clearly there.

Paul
    Participant

Some non-traditional games demand large numbers of civilian /non-combatant figures: zombie games are one. My stalled Jack the Ripper project and planned The Ghost and the Darkness projects are others.
    In purely military games, they do add flavour, as well as possibly playing a role as objectives. I would guess that the demand for non-combatant figures depends on the period and the “theatre of operations” you are playing in: you will need more for the sack of Rome than for WWII in the desert, for example, so I guess the support for ranges of civilians would depend on the quantity that could potentially be needed.

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Otto Schmidt
    Participant

Dear Mike

You’re too late.

H.G. Wells in “Floor Games” wrote what would today be considered a “flame war” against figure makers who did not make enough civilian figures to flesh out his games, complaining that “even our green grocers must wear epaulettes.”  He wanted everything from chimney sweeps to governesses, tradesmen and beggars to complete his scenes. It’s an old rant.

The question is what one would use them for.  I have a great use for them as court scenes, attendents, lackeys, and in dioramas on stands of combat troops. For example, in the Princesses army there are several milita regiments. I am completing one of these regiments as if the six stands are at their yearly “Militia Picnic” on the green. One stand has men stuffing their faces around three groaning tables and kegs of beer, another has  a small group posing for a painting, another has some men around a key board singing,  another has them playing at bowles, another has some hookers beckoning them into a tent, another has them putting on an amateur theatrical.  Of course I intend to use these on the table top in a battle.

The problem is that literally every figure is a heavy conversion, from putting chicken legs in their hands, napkins on their chests, and altering poses, not to mention carving off knapsacks and the like. (You can imagine how hard it is to model a string of sausage links even in 30mm.

Some manufacturers are  caving. Eureka among the most notable.

But the question is what do you want them for and what part of the game.  I make small dioramas for most of my regiments. For example one  has a regular three rank line on the stand (I put all my regiments of line on one large stand, all 36 figures, officers, colors, NCO’s, musicians and privates. In one at the rear I have the NCO checking out the charms of a harem girl flashing her charms. In another two officers sitting at a table playing chess. The “Turkish” Bennenjerry regiments have one man bands, others fanciful musicians.  Others have little dioramas.

But then remember my games are unabashedly “Opera Bouffe” .

In my modern period games I color code the statistic tags on the bases of the units as to armored / unarmored, shock troops and the like.  One of the tag colors is white which means they are special units. These can be anything from new and untried weapons right out of the R&D labs — the creation of the mad scientists– and can be things like a rebuilt Martian fighting machine from War of the Worlds, to a pack of  puppies of Illsa  She-Wolf of he SS (lead by that Wunderhund “Blitzfritz.” to  the big boobed babe on the bicycle that distracts the  sentries while the partizans slip by.   Players have learned that as the white tagged units usually work for the GM it’s best to be cautious when using them.

Otto

Etranger
    Participant

I like to have civilian figures around, after all few battles are fought in virign territory or in a vacumn (sci-fi sometimes excluded!). Their presence can range from purely aesthetic reasons, to traffic hazards (eg refugee column holding up the main axis of advance), objectives (release the hostages), to collateral damage (Oops, that was a camera crew) or ‘insurgents’ (that isn’t a teddy bear she’s holding).

As a footnote I will be releasing 6mm civilians for different periods over the next few years, hoping to have an extensive range, decided to start with animals then go from there.

R

Quality Pewter Miniatures at affordable price :

http://perfectsixscenics.co.uk
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.