Home Forums Air and Sea Air  Not bad for our pokey little seaside resort!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’m down the Yacht Club end of the beach most mornings, and it’s just appeared from beneath the sands. I shall be off on mi’ bicycle for an investigate…

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/hidden-wreck-raf-beaufighter-emerges-4165555

I’m going to have a root around to see wot I can find out about the aircraft and it’s crew.

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

deephorse
    Participant

Beaufighters, very ‘cool’ looking aircraft and a favourite of mine.

Trust science, not the scientists.

Well, it’s not so cool now, they’ve gone and ‘blown the ‘bloody doors off’!

The Coastguard came and chased us all away, then…

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/explosion-carried-out-royal-navy-4177697

John D Salt
    Participant

Mr Picky points out that, as well as hosting the top-scoring maritime strike wing during the war, North Coates was after the war home to the first RAF Bloodhound squadron (264 Sqn), having been the first to receive the weapon:

The newsreel I think shows some of the inspiration for the contemporaneous Airfix “Bloodhound” kit.

The unit referenced in my avatar, 266 Squadron, was at Rattlesden, over 100 miles away the other side of the Wash. The whole Bloodhound force of 11 squadrons (in four wings) would have been co-ordinated in action from the battle management centre at Patrington, a snidge to the North of North Coates.

It’s not all good — I understand that RAF North Coates was where Max Bygraves first performed.

All the best,

John.

Parts of North Coates is still used for things aeronautical, blokes floating about on parachutes, with propellers strapped on their back mostly! But most interesting is wot’s happened to the old airfield gun-butts, all Raff ‘dromes had these, used for harmonising aircraft guns and for the Raff Regiment lads to play with their popguns. North Coates Butts as it’s now known is one of Lincolnshire’s premier shooting clubs, outside the clubhouse is a bent and buckled Beaufighter prop. It’d be pretty good if we found out it came from that kite on the beach.

One of the benefits of having friends in low places, memento from the wreck area before the big bang…

Nice to have this little gem in the Emporium, even though a couple of things about it, kind of prove it’s not from  JM333 of 254 Squadron.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Pretty cool stuff!  I wonder if it still had a torpedo?  Which I wold think a bit naff of the RAF to leave something like that laying around.  (though they did leave the plane there….)

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

The aircraft was on a training flight, only the guns were loaded, no torpedo or rockets. When the kite was imaged by the Bomb Disposal unit the ammunition was discovered, that’s why the controlled explosion took place. My mate’s with the Coastguard and he tells me there are at east another three downed aircraft in that area, one of which are the remains of a Swordfish. All three appear every now and again depending on how the tides shift the sand.

It’s a dangerous area to wander about in if you’re not clued up. I’m getting the hang of it, but you’ve got to keep an eye on the sea for treacherous outflanking maneuvers!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.