Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming Now this is how you fly a heliopter(AKA Technical hunting at the Mall)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

For those that don’t know trimming in a helicopter is completely different from a plane, there are no control surfaces to change with trim, instead in a helicopter when you hold down the trim button, some magnets holding the cyclic stick, release and you can move the cyclic freely. When you release the trim again, the magnets clamp down again, but now in the new position you held when you released the button. So say I’m flying at 70knot forward, my speed and altitude is stable, I press the trim button and now this is where my cyclic will be, I can move it around but it moves around this new center. Or particularly nice is when taking off, you know that this or this helicopter with this weight will be stable in a hover by holding the stick slightly back and to the left. So before you take off, you hold the trim, move the stick back and left, release and now you can work from this position, so now when you take off, you can move the stick around the stable hover position.

With a normal spring joystick, you can’t do that, you can fake it with some joysticks by taking out the spring and have some cluches on there, this will mean the stick stops where you let go, but you don’t actually have a trim effect(in some helicopters you can turn of this trim effect, in which case these springless sticks will behave very close to the real thing. But with a FFB stick, the motor will actually simulate the magnets in a real cyclic. So when I hold the trim button, I can move the cyclic freely and when I let go, it will hold I place where I let it go. Just like the real thing. This is very cool, and in theory should make it easier to fly a helicopter.

Also I needed to test this, so some terrorists took over My Mall in Limassol, demanding some PS5s, so I had to dispatch them.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.