Home Forums Ancients Numidian Light Cavalry 28mm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    carojon
    Participant

In preparation for a large Punic 28mm game due to be played later this month, I interrupted my normal Napoleonic outputs to put together a small contribution to our game with an addition to my own EIR collection for a later Dacian Wars project.

My Numidians are from the Warlord range of figures and despite some minimal issues are quite nice sculpts to paint up.

If you would like to know more then just follow the link to JJ’s

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk/2017/06/something-for-weekend-sir-numidian.html

Jonathan (JJ)

http://jjwargames.blogspot.co.uk

Norm S
    Participant

Lovely work.

Deuce
    Participant

You’ve done a really nice job with them.

The new Warlord Numidians have always looked a bit scrawny to me, both the riders and horses. That’s put me off buying them, even while they’re discounted. Do you find that reflected in the “flesh”?

Rod Robertson
    Participant

Carojon:

Your cavalry looks marvellous but you need to paint more! Or should I say Moor?  I hope this does not seem either racist or insensitive but weren’t most Numidians of Berber origin and for the most part Caucasians, like modern-day Moroccans, Algerians and Libyans? I can see that there might be a proportion of Black Africans in their number but unless the photo is deceiving me, these all seem to be sub-Saharan Blacks. I honestly am unsure of the appearance of the preponderance of the Numidians 2200 years ago but it seems sensible to ask the question. Regardless of my quibbling, you have done a magnificent job on these lovelies and they look most formidable. Hannibal would be proud!

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Deuce
    Participant

Carojon: Your cavalry looks marvellous but you need to paint more! Or should I say Moor? I hope this does not seem either racist or insensitive but weren’t most Numidians of Berber origin and for the most part Caucasians, like modern-day Moroccans, Algerians and Libyans? I can see that there might be a proportion of Black Africans in their number but unless the photo is deceiving me, these all seem to be sub-Saharan Blacks. I honestly am unsure of the appearance of the preponderance of the Numidians 2200 years ago but it seems sensible to ask the question.

I think this is one of those things that’s going to be impossible to get right and satisfy everybody. Skin colour of ancient peoples is one of those things where there’s relatively little to prove things one way or another and so is heavily inflected with modern politics. Whichever way you jump you’ll have people questioning your decision, so I think the only viable way forward is to do whatever seems right to you.

For instance, as a counterpart to the above plate, here’s another Osprey one depicting Jugurtha in Marius’s triumph:

Having said that, most manufacturers which display painted Numidians seem to display them as black, even though I’m inclined to agree with you that it’s more likely the majority of them had a skin tone similar to the current inhabitants of the region. For the unwary, they might simply take it as read from that that Numidians were black and not consider alternative skin colour schemes.

Rod Robertson
    Participant

More primary source material:

And:

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Those are Zulus, not Numidians. 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.