Home Forums WWII O Group learning exercise/campaign

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I’ve been poking away at trying/learning O Group (as well as testing out minis/terrain – may as well bite off more than you can chew, eh?) by playing a campaign of sorts. Like most projects I tackle (and eventually run out of time/steam for) this one has nearly(?) reached its end. I think I’ve got one more game to go, but am posting the AARs that I’ve cobbled together so far because…well…the next shiny may distract me and the thing will nag at me as it gathers dust, so…here it is: http://brawlfactory.net/29-lets-go-big/

Fair warning: My blogging (or whatever it’s called) ability is poor at best – Please let me know if there are any errors (beyond the photo/writing quality – can’t do much about those…) I could fix to make the thing easier to digest, thanks.

Participant

Beautiful terrain.  We’ve been playing O Group (like yourself, getting rules horribly wrong) using our 15mm collections, but I’ve been pushing to switch to 6mm.  In my humble opinion, the ranges and terrain look more appropriate in that scale.

I just send the photo in your first report, of the 88 on the hill, firing at the Shermans in the lane to my friend.  That’s exactly why 6mm should be used!

Participant

Beautiful terrain.

Thanks – it takes time to build that way, but I have fun doing it, so it’s a win for me!

We’ve been playing O Group…using our 15mm collections, but I’ve been pushing to switch to 6mm. In my humble opinion, the ranges and terrain look more appropriate in that scale.

It really does help to communicate the ranges/scope (I did my usual soapbox rant on the subject a little while ago in another thread).

The current game (the fourth) has two American Battalions in the attack, and since I don’t have enough 6mm stuff painted/based I’m using my 15mm Chain of Command stuff (= close to ground scale for that game: another example of the benefit in matching ground:figure scales) for the second battalion.  It was my original plan for O Group, but I didn’t think it would look right, and so far -seeing the two side-by-side- I’m glad I went with the 6mm.

Participant

“…seeing the two [6 and 15mm figs] side-by-side…”

Into the game a bit and saw a chance to present a comparison, with the two American Battalions attacking (sort of) side-by-side:

The 15mm stuff is just harder to ‘translate’ – each fig is a squad*, with three of them representing a platoon spread over ~100 yards.  I understand that it’s not really a fair comparison since the terrain is 3mm, making the 15s look even more odd, but…that’s sort of the point: If 15mm terrain (bldgs, trees, roads, etc…) were used so that the figs looked ‘okay’, the disparity between the terrain and the ground scale would be more difficult to overcome when players view the table and form a picture of the battlefield problem….or not…ymmv.

*as many do, 3 or 4 figs on a base do a better job of saying “squad”, but then the thing takes up way too much ground.

Participant

fwiw, the AAR for the final battle is done. The direct link is http://brawlfactory.net/go-big-campaign-game-four-map-b/

– or if you want to see the overview and previous games: http://brawlfactory.net/29-lets-go-big/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.