Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Oathmark skeletons size?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kitfox
    Participant

Does anyone has a comparison photo of the Oathmark skeletons alongside the older GW skeletons? I’m looking to expand my dead force but I get the impression that the Oathmark undead are fairly slender and may well  be dwarfed by the older GW ones (which are massive as it is).

Death to all fanatics!

Mike
    Keymaster

Is that the original GW plastic ones that came with separate arms and stuff?

Kitfox
    Participant

The ones after that sadly:

Death to all fanatics!

Kitfox
    Participant

Hmmm…not convinced.

Death to all fanatics!

Steven Francis
    Participant

Always wanted that skeleton horde set….not sure why I wen Elf in the end. But the oathmark one looks good by itself. Would separate regiments not be okay with some distance between them? How often as your own regiments side by side?

Patrice
    Participant

I’m not worried too much about skeletons disparity in a fantasy context where there would not be size requirement when recruiting undeads   some could be humans of different sizes, others half-ogres or whatever. It may be sufficient to swap equipment (shields, weapons etc.) between them to give a good overall impression?

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Kitfox
    Participant

I know you’re right but my OCD keeps telling me they’re too small. I think I’ll paint up a dozen and see how they work both as a regiment on their own and mixed in with the others.

Death to all fanatics!

Kitfox
    Participant

I’ve built up one unit of the Oathmark skeletons and evened out the heights by doubling up on the basing.  They still feel very slight in comparison but I’m hoping they’ll even out in the painting a wee bit.

on another (related) note is there any less enjoyable task in all of wargaming than rebasing an army?!?!

Death to all fanatics!

Tony S
    Participant

on another (related) note is there any less enjoyable task in all of wargaming than rebasing an army?!?!

No.  No, there is not.

I did it once, rebasing old 6mm Irregular Napoleonics, crammed 36 figures per 40mm x 20mm base (there was literally no base surface showing) onto large new 80x40mm stands for Blucher, where I could have officers riding between columns, and skirmishers screening out in front.

It looks much better, I quite like the rules, but wasn’t much fun.   And honestly it feels like the days when you’re out of groceries, you’re too tired to shop and the fridge is full of left overs.   You get a meal, but it’s just not the same as making a fresh, new recipe!

And dragging it back to the topic, are skeletons – especially with Contrast paints – not the fastest figures or army to paint now?

ian pillay
    Participant

I do like those skeletons, but I have to agree they are slight indeed. Almost like true 25mm skeletons. I guess they will look ok once painted. Spray paint grey under coat and then ‘bone’ colour for the bones they will be ready in no time.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Kitfox
    Participant

They’re nice figures but awkward to put together (not difficult but fiddly) and they are probably true 28mm rather than the hulking GW skeletons that are taller than their human models were.

For painting I’m going white undercoat, brown wash (x2) and drybrush the heel out of them with bone, followed by a very faint white highlight.  Haven’t decided on the metallics yet will make a snap decision at the last minute as usual no doubt!

I managed to properly rebase the first 48 skeletons between watching Columbo, 24 zombies, 12 archers and the new Oathmark ones to go.  I still hate doing it!

Death to all fanatics!

Mike
    Keymaster

Ah yes, they are noticeably smaller.

Kitfox
    Participant

Yep, sadly I may have to look elsewhere in the long run if I’m to fill out the ranks of my skeleton archers at least.

Death to all fanatics!

Mike
    Keymaster
    Kitfox
    Participant

I finally got a unit of Oathmark skeletons painted and having built up the bases and dispersed them amongst the GW chaps they work surprisingly well. Looks like the project’s back on!

Death to all fanatics!

Punkrabbitt
    Participant

Thank you for all of this… I think I might need some of those Oathmark skellies at some point.

Please visit my OSR products for sale at
    www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/17194/Punkrabbitt-Publishing

Mike
    Keymaster

Looks like the project’s back on!

Noice.

Kitfox
    Participant

They’re actually really nice figures and over time as i expand my plan will be to spread out the old GW ones and have the Oathmark Skeletons become the majority.  As noted they’re pretty easy to paint to a decent table-top standard so it’s the construction that’s the limiting factor with them, they’re straightforward enough to build but very fiddly and having to effectively double base them to gain the height is a bit of a pain.

Death to all fanatics!

6mmwargaming
    Participant

You can always add some Mantic figures to the mix. They have a lot more clothing but are lovely figures

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.