Home Forums General General Oil Washes on Historical Miniatures?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi,

I’ve been looking into using oil washes on 28mm Historical miniatures and have found a ton of stuff on Fantasy/Sci Fi stuff in terms of tutorials/vids. Either my google foo is very off or the tutorials/vids simply do not exist.

I’m aiming to use them for The Crimean War, Ancients, Dark Ages and Late Medieval mini’s.

Does anyone know of any such tutorials/vids using Oil Washes on 28mm Historical miniatures?

Thanks.

Participant

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=oil+washes

Loads of stuff on t’net^

Though why you’d want to when there’s acrylic washes…

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=oil+washes Loads of stuff on t’net^ Though why you’d want to when there’s acrylic washes…

Thanks. Not really specific to historical though 🙁

Participant

I imagine the techniques are similar. They are with acrylics, unless I’m doing it wrong. 🙂

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

I imagine the techniques are similar. They are with acrylics, unless I’m doing it wrong. 🙂

It’s a very different technique to using acrylic washes and glazes. They are additive while oil washes are usually reductive. Apologies for the Art College jargon but that is the easiest way for me to describe the difference.

What I’m looking for is a very subtle finish. If you look at some of the Grimdark vids here you will have a better idea of what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/c/GrimdarkCompendium

Obviously, with historical miniatures the technique would require even more finesse than with Sci Fi/Fantasy stuff as the detail on historical miniatures is much less pronounced than that of said genre above.

Typical really, one asks for help and one ends up answering more questions etc LOL

Participant

It’s a heuristic experience but I’m not sure who for!

Participant

Being pre-internet vintage, much of my experience is learning by doing. With or without a fancy name 😉

Among the things I learned is that oils take forever to dry on figures…

I’d be bothered about unwanted craqueleur with an oil wash.

Participant

Being pre-internet vintage, much of my experience is learning by doing. With or without a fancy name 😉 Among the things I learned is that oils take forever to dry on figures… I’d be bothered about unwanted craqueleur with an oil wash.

Same here, thus the Fine Art degree 😉 The new oil wash products do not seem to suffer from that problem. Also, much of the wash is removed after applying.

Participant

The only time I’ve used oil washes is on 6mm AFVs. Slap it on and wait days for it to dry.

Much easier to use ink or acrylic.

The usual problem with all washes is that they can stain the base colour unless you prat about putting on a layer of varnish first. Life really is to short for that so I just touch up any staining afterwards. No idea if oils are more prone to this.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

The usual problem with all washes is that they can stain the base colour unless you prat about putting on a layer of varnish first. Life really is to short for that so I just touch up any staining afterwards. No idea if oils are more prone to this.

The idea is to stain the base colour then to remove the oil wash on the parts that are raised. All in order to get a more natural look. Please refer to the link to the vids I posted re: Oil Washes in Sci Fi and Fantasy. No disrespect intended but I feel like I’m going around in circles with every post here.

I known what I’m doing with paint- please see below for examples:

Participant

hi,

Can’t help with technique but I have 40-50 yo figures painted in oils (all Hinchliffe 25mm IIRC) that I must get based and vignettes done along with my minifigs minions. They were ‘gifted’ by the artist as he moved into other periods and wanted the display space free. he was quite accomplished, and something of a casual ‘artist’ as well,

cheers

Blinking paint by numbers... bahhumbug!

Participant

hi, Can’t help with technique but I have 40-50 yo figures painted in oils (all Hinchliffe 25mm IIRC) that I must get based and vignettes done along with my minifigs minions. They were ‘gifted’ by the artist as he moved into other periods and wanted the display space free. he was quite accomplished, and something of a casual ‘artist’ as well, cheers

Sounds interesting. Any chance of any pictures being taken if you get the time please?  particular close ups as these might be very helpful?

Participant

hi Hideyoshi,

yes I will but will be another 12 hours before I can do anything. Although not as devastating as the major flood damage we’ve had here; our dwelling has leaked in the torrential rain and due to its location we only discovered it at midnight last night. I have a bit of work to occupy me with stripping our possessions out, sorting and taking to laundromat some severely wet linen etc. Catch you later, davew

Participant

hi Hideyoshi, yes I will but will be another 12 hours before I can do anything. Although not as devastating as the major flood damage we’ve had here; our dwelling has leaked in the torrential rain and due to its location we only discovered it at midnight last night. I have a bit of work to occupy me with stripping our possessions out, sorting and taking to laundromat some severely wet linen etc. Catch you later, davew

Thanks, just when you can find the time. I’m in no rush into jumping into a new technique due to figuring out what I need and working out the cost 🙂

Participant

Ok, I had to search around and extract the figures, and realised I had one of them in work-in-progress modification going on (this is why I now have to keep a project diary of ideas, planning and completions)!

I’d only taken sample shots after adding a sash to an Imperial  Guard mounted colonel, so here he is. The subtelty of the shading and colours used is a bit washed out by over exposure. So I’ve added the full resolution original pic (iPhone)  next up on Flickr so you can examine in high detail. This photo on Flickr has comment that explains the rest, I trust.

IMG_5268_ GBD Hulin_

by DaveW, on Flickr.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/albums -Main Page.

I’m still a bit busy after the flooding damage and what with eye surgery review etc. will get to the balance of figures ‘if’ we have some nice sunny weather tomorrow.

cheers  dave

Participant

Hi,

sorry I’ve been so tardy, although I’ve shot some new pics I then found that an inadvertent software update has again stopped my iPhone from syncing to Mac (the port is blocked) so I’ll need to work on this first.

Bloody tech can be a PIA! ~d

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.