Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Old School hills

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

<p class=”separator” data-blogger-escaped-style=”clear: both; text-align: center;”></p>

I have always liked these old school style hills.  They remind me of the maps on the old Avalon Hill games. To me they are wicked pissa (as we used to say in my mis spent youth).   They are not what is standard on most game tables.  But then I have never been part of the in crowd.

<p class=”separator” data-blogger-escaped-style=”clear: both; text-align: center;”></p>

If any of the readers  have made these or know gamers who have made these please contact me.  I would love to know how you made them, or suggestions on how to make them.  Did you use blue board?  Or MDF (which I know nothing about).  I am interested in making these would appreciate any suggestions or how to.

Thank you!

Keymaster

I used polystyrene ceiling tiles back in the day.
    PVA and a sharp knife.

Participant

Polystyrene tiles for me as well.  I also used some stuff which I think was called fibre board, which my dad used to line the roof of the loft. It looked a bit like chip board but it was quite soft.  I think I left it unpainted because it didn’t take paint well.

Participant

When I was a kid I used to make these out of polystyrene ceiling tiles too. Give them a good coat of PVA to stiffen them up and reduce damage.

The similar hills at the club are made of hardboard, which I can only presume was weighted down when it was painted to stop it warping.

Those hills look suspiciously neat though, I think they’ve been made out MDF using a jigsaw.

MDF is fine. MDF contains low levels of formaldehyde which is carcinogenic, in the EU only low formaldehyde boards are manufactured, no idea about elsewhere. Just be sensibel about hoovering up the dust and wear a mask when cutting it.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

Hardboard. Must have been non-warp in those days coz I never had a problem with it

6mm France 1940

http://les1940.blogspot.co.uk/
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/386297688467965/

Participant

Wow that table looks fantastic. Old school hills are great and these ones are very fine examples. I like the felt river as well.

Would be interested to find out what material they are made from.

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

I used polystyrene ceiling tiles back in the day.
    PVA and a sharp knife.

Indeed. Mine got painted a horrible pea green colour for some reason.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.