Home Forums WWII Old School Tactical Stalingrad

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Norm S
    Participant

Old School Tactical – Stalingrad (boardgame) has gone out onto the table and some thoughts and observations, including an AAR have been posted across on my blog.

The link for anyone interested;

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2019/11/ost-stalingrad.html

Makes me seriously want to buy the damned thing!

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Norm S
    Participant

Thank you! Note, is an expansion to a core module, so is not playable alone.

You could run your 3mm through that 🙂

Thomaston
    Participant

That board looked really nice, I thought it was actual terrain table for a moment.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

What’s stacking like?

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

Norm S
    Participant

Max stacking is 2 units per hex, plus 2 leaders plus any number of support weapons …… however due to typical order of battle restrictions, the whole scenario might only have a couple of support weapons and one or two leaders, so a hex is generally holding 1 – 3 pieces.

Then when a unit fires or moves it gets a marker to say which of those it has done and then when it fires again or assault moves, that marker is flipped over to its used side.

In addition a unit might go shaken or broken, which would add the appropriate marker.

I am not keen on big stacks in games, but stacking has never occurred to me as being an issue with this game.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thank you for the AAR and review.  I’ll fling this at my Uncle, he’s been looking for a new Stalingrad boardgame as he’s not a minis guy.  This should be right up his alley!  I’d really like to see how tanks work with this system, sounds pretty streamlined but I’d worry that perhaps it may be too much so for me.

Edit: just saw the previous post that talks tanks.  Thanks man!

2nd Edit: For some reason I cannot access your blog ATM, but did it say that you must have the BASE game before you can play Vol II West Front?  The Flying Pig website is a bit murky

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Norm S
    Participant

Hi, there are two core / base games. East front is vol 1 and west front is vol 2, each is an independent and self contained game.

The Stalingrad module is an expansion to the East Front (vol 1) game, so to play Stalingrad, you need East front Vol 1.

It just so happens that west front carries the latest rules and play aid card, which essentially makes the anti-armour fire a bit more effective. I think the changes are probably on the Flying Pig website or at Boardgame Geek. In any case, it is not important enough to be put off from buying just East front Vol 1 and the Stalingrad expansion.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Perfect!  Many thanks!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.