Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Older style miniatures in use?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Just how many of the older style miniatures are still being used for wargaming? In my own very modest collection of 15mm French Napoleonics, I have some veteran 1st and 2nd generation Minifigs. The 1st generation miniatures are infantry and are very small compared to figures available now but I still use them. So what do other wargamers have and do you still use them?

My Blog: http://wargamespavilion.wordpress.com/

Participant

I have some Minifigs Pig Faced Orcs, Valley of the Four Winds figures and long forgotten manufacturers from the mid ’70s, that are now getting used for IHMN games. Some of them bring back so many memories, plus a few being wonderful sculpts, that I can’t bring myself to sell them, despite rarely being used.

Participant

I’m a fairly obsessive collector of old Minifigs and though I occasionally buy figures from newer ranges most of the money I spend on wargaming goes on the old 2nd generation 15mm Minifigs I buy from eBay. I also have quite a few of the Minifigs Pig-Faced Orcs and Valley of the Four Winds figures.  I think the latter was one of the best ranges ever made. I just wish my painting did the figures justice.

Participant

Good question and one that vexes me often. I had a huge collection of 25mm Minifigs, most of which I had painted as a kid. But they looked so small, uniform, and just plain old fashioned compared to the new 28mm stuff thats come out since. Whilst my mates don’t see an issue, to my mind they just look second rate. So I have sold off pretty much my entire French and Bavarian collection and replaced them with professionally painted plastics with the proceeds. I am keeping  my Russians however until I have enough plastics to stage the ridiculously large games I am addicted to…

I just can’t bear to get rid of my early painted British minifigs though, so they soldier on…

So this rear line in this Brigade column are Minifigs 23rd Royal Welch Fuzileers – actually in this shot they don’t look too diminutive!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

I have a Hinchliffe ECW set up dating from the early to mid-80’s, and a huge (1000 figure) Scruby Mexican War set up.  The latter figures are painted in a glossy, toy soldier style, which seems to fit Jack’s sculpting style, not to mention the colorful Mexican uniforms themselves.

Chris Johnson

Participant

Ah – I’m really not a fan of the glossy toy soldier look! Chacun a son gout!

http://sparkerswargames.blogspot.com.au/
    'Blessed are the peacekeepers, for they shall need to be well 'ard'
    Matthew 5:9

Participant

I have some minifigs I bought in the late 70’s so not sure if they are 1st or 2nd edition, but I am very keen to buy some more modern figures as the details look a lot easier to paint!

Participant

A motley AWI 25mm crew from Minifigs, one pair was bought about 30 years before the other;

Hinchliffe 15mm, must date from 80’s or so;

'The time has come" The walrus said. "To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

Participant

I still use some MiniFigs that I painted in the late 70’s early 80’s … That makes me feel old 🙂 as well as Essex & several other makes. I don’t generally go for new shiny, but I am quite taken with Old Glory blue moon figures.

Inactive

My 15mm French have quite a mix of manufacturers, but I thing the oldest must be a couple of battalions of  Table Top Games brought from Bob Connors shop in  Nottinghamshire way back in the stone age.

Participant

I still have plenty of Hinchliffe, Minfigs, Prinz August and Les Higgins figures serving in the ranks alongside newer chaps from Alban, Front Rank, Foundry, Victrix and Perry.

Participant

I disposed of my original 1st edition Minifigs Napoleonics 25s to a friend who had coveted them for years.  They are in use. I painted them in the late 60s.  The second edition though, some I brought with me to Nigeria and to India now. I am adding to them all the time. I have Perry for 1815, and Eureka for 1796 but my singly based Dick Higgs sculpts still get regular outings in the Low Countries and the uplands of Spain.   Sometime for Sharp Practice, sometimes for Black Powder, sometimes for basic Charge! Shiny and resilient they still provide for a grand game.  Only the French and Brits are here.  When they return to Europe they will be re-united with their Portuguese, Spanish and Imperial Guard brethren and no doubt they will continue to  shine on battlefields new.  I just like the simplicity of the sculpts which respond equally well to complex or simple painting.

Graham

Delhi

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.