Home Forums Fantasy General Fantasy Oldhammer Wood Elf Army

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Hideyoshi
    Participant

Piccies my sadly now long gone WHFB Wood Elf Army taken from an old laptop.

Although I regularly lost in a impressive and spectacular manner I really used to love playing with this army.

If you’re interested in seeing more please click on my Just Add Water Blog here:
    https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/07/blast-from-past-my-old-wood-elf-army.html

Cheers 🙂

Mike
    Keymaster

They look lovely, win or lose as you say, would be nice to push them about on the table.

Hideyoshi
    Participant

Yeah, they are sadly missed

Still, i had many hours of fun getting absolutely battered by everyone else I played so they were well worth it

I really miss them…. they would have come in very handy for a rule set that I’m currently supposed to be play testing too.

Rhoderic
    Participant

I love the colours!

Hideyoshi
    Participant

Thanks. That means a little more then it might usually mean as it was my first excursion back into wargaming over 22 years ago after a break of 13 years!

Appreciated 🙂

Mr. Average
    Participant

I am suitably envious of your painting skills!  It’s always a little sad to see lost armies, but still worth reminiscing about.  I find myself coming back to Oldhammer thirty years later, albeit at 6mm scale.  There was just such a lovely feel to the early incarnations of it.  It was “open” in a way it never was again.  If that makes sense.

I always wanted to do a full Skeleton and Skaven war, but as a teenager, who had the time?  I guess this is the Gamer’s Midlife Crisis, but a far more harmless one than buying a sports car or any of that other crap.

Hideyoshi
    Participant

I am suitably envious of your painting skills! It’s always a little sad to see lost armies, but still worth reminiscing about. I find myself coming back to Oldhammer thirty years later, albeit at 6mm scale. There was just such a lovely feel to the early incarnations of it. It was “open” in a way it never was again. If that makes sense. I always wanted to do a full Skeleton and Skaven war, but as a teenager, who had the time? I guess this is the Gamer’s Midlife Crisis, but a far more harmless one than buying a sports car or any of that other crap.

I concur. I played WHFB into the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Edition. Things started to get startlingly competitive at Edition Four even in local club games. It got to the point where creating a killer list was the only thing some players would/could concentrate on. Basically WAAC ruled the wasteland.

I really hated this attitude as it simply ruined games for those who just wanted a relaxing time and a good laugh.

The games I enjoyed the most were probably the Fourth Ed. as it was still an inventive time period within the game as a whole. Although I have been guilty of playing in GW shops it was something that I really tried to avoid unless I knew the fellow player well enough to know that they weren’t treating the game as a competition.

If I had the money (and time) I would buy all those miniatures back and jump into the Oldhammer community head 🙂

Mr. Average
    Participant

That same impulse hit me and my compromise was to go to 6mm scale.  Not as crazy as you think – and Microworld, Perfect Six, et al have some seriously great 6mm fantasy armies out.

Hideyoshi
    Participant

That same impulse hit me and my compromise was to go to 6mm scale. Not as crazy as you think – and Microworld, Perfect Six, et al have some seriously great 6mm fantasy armies out.

I’ll check it out but I think my eyes would explode if i had to paint any more 6mm  mini’s lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.