Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi On mecha cockpits: head or torso?

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Darkest Star Games Darkest Star Games 6 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I really enjoy the Gundam gasaphon I have for the game I’m playing, but they’re 1/400 and there doesn’t seem to be any 1/300-1/285 Gundamesque mechs out there.  So, I’ve been thinking about coming up with my own line for both space battles and 6mm ground actions.  But the question of size enters into the mecha equation, because if things get too small they become impossible to paint!

So, this has led me down the design rabbithole of where does the cockpit go?  Let me throw some stats out here real quick to give an overview of the height of various well known mechs at 6mm\1/300 scale and their cockpit locations:

Gundam RX78-2: 52.8mm/ 2.12″ – torso

Zaku2F2: 52.5mm/ 2.06″ – torso

Round Venier Vifam: 53.7mm/ 2.11″ – torso

Metal Armor Dragonar-1: 52.8mm/2″ – torso

L-Gaim: 62.1mm/ 2.44″ – torso

VF-A Vlakyrie (battloid mode): 38.02mm/ 1.49″ – torso

Legios Eta (VF Alpha): 26.25mm/ 1.03″ – torso

Patlabor Ingram: 24.06mm/ .94″ – torso

VOTOMS Scopedog: 11.4mm/ .44″ – torso

Dougram: 28.89mm/ 1.13″ – head

Layzner: 28.56mm/ 1.12″ – head

Destroid Tomahawk (Macross): 38.1mm/ 1.5″ – head

As we can see, most mecha with head cockpits (ok, the few that are on the list!) are a lot shorter than those with torso cockpits.  2″ seems pretty large to me for a hunk of metal figure, even though I know a lot of 28mm (are most 32 or 35mm nowadays…?) figs are about that size.  Goign that large though I think would preclude use of adjustible antennas for flight stands as the “moment” at the top would just make them too unstable.  Maybe just a regular flight stand with a dial for “level” would work.

I digress… Given these stats for height I think I can come up with some easily workable designs that will look properly imposing on the tabletop, while also being usable for space combat.

But in talking about cockpit placement, I would think that placing the pilot in the torso would give them much better protection that being situated in the head, as well as probably a bit more comfort from g-forces.

But is the torso really that much better protection?  In just about every anime I have seen any mech can easily be blown apart by an enemy, so maybe cockpit placement doesn’t matter?  If hit location is not being tracked, should it matter?  Maybe just go with “rule of cool”?

Your thoughts?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I’m not sure why logic would dictate that a humanoid mech would be bigger and taller for having the cockpit in the torso instead of the head.

Most of my favourite mecha settings have the cockpits in the torsos. That said I’m not much bothered either way. As you say, the mecha genre comes with its own framework of reality. If the story calls for a pilot to die, they’ll die. If it doesn’t, they won’t. The location of the pilot inside the mech has absolutely no bearing on that. Rule of cool applies.

Maybe split the difference and have the cockpit centered at the base of the neck, going partway into the torso and partway into the head, a bit like a Scopedog? That’s also a cool look, I think.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by Rhoderic Rhoderic.

Mr. Average
    Participant

Where does the head go? I’m a proponent of putting the mech cockpit in the torso, unless it’s a small mech, something like a Heavy Gear, which is partly “worn” like a suit of battle armor. It makes sense to put your soft, squishy bit under the most amount of armor.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Thanks for the responses guys!  I do appreciate it.

I realized after reading the above that I plan to have several factions, so all I really need to do is set sizes that “looks right” to go with my 6mm Dark Star line (not as a part of it, but for cross-compatibility) and individual factions and mech designs can have the cockpit wherever they look coolest or make sense!  Space ships, though would need to be a lot smaller in scale as they’d end up being 16″-24″ otherwise, and who is going to shell out that kind of dough?!?!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Just thought: could do sets of upper torsos and then have separate pelvic/leg assemblies for ground and space poses.  That way you can mix and match.

Or heck, maybe I do a 1/300 line for 6mm enthusiasts, then do 1/600 or 1/1200 for the space gamers?

Rhoderic
    Rhoderic
    Participant

I like all of what I’m hearing 

Stephen Madjanovich
    Participant

As an aside I have a buddy who is a Gundam nut. He is writing a set of rules for mech combat with the emphasis on Gundam background. Despite his protestations I think it is somewhere a little more detailed than CY6 level. Not as chart intense as Battledroids (or whatever it is called now) or Star Fleet Battles but much more than many armour games. I like to think of it as Striker light. We have been playing it for about a year now and it is coming along quite well. I do not know what other systems are out there as it is an interest, but I have too many irons in the fire and am letting him do this on his own.

This is all very interesting and I hope you keep on with it. As for placement in Gundam it doesn’t seem to matter as every weapon immediately punctures the reactor core causing instant destruction. Of course my son and I are watching Gundam 0079(?) the first series from the ’80s! Personally I like Macross having the complete DVD set from the original show, plus Perfect Memory from back in the day!

Thomaston
    Participant

I vote torso too. Imagine the mech-sickness withe the head swivelling around all the time. I’m a fan of the smaller designs, Heavy Gear, Gasaraki, Landmate and Madox-01.

EDIT: Also Titanfall

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by  Thomaston.

Tired is enough.

Mr. Average
    Participant

After I read “1:600 Line” and “Mechs” in the same post, all I could hear was loud circus music in my head.

Uh, yes please?!

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

I’m a fan of the smaller designs, Heavy Gear, Gasaraki, Landmate and Madox-01.

ME too, already have this working in my SPec-Sec line.  About to release new weapons/arms for the Pilums and Pugios!

EDIT: Also Titanfall

Check out Mircopanzer, they have some mechs in 15mm that are very Titanfall!  (bought from Flytrap)

After I read “1:600 Line” and “Mechs” in the same post, all I could hear was loud circus music in my head. Uh, yes please?!

I’ll see what I can do, no promises though!  I’m really not sure how viable any of this might be, business/financial-wise.  I mean, as it is I basically produce toys I want to play with and am thrilled that others will buy some on occasion too, but my crazy-brain is rattling along with like 34 designs over 9 factions already!  That will be quite an outlay of greenbacks, even over time!

I’m thinking for 6mm scale 2″ ought to be about right for a “standard” soldier nech.  And since this is all meant to be space operatic there will of course have to be some one-offs or modified and experimental dudes of variable sizes… 😀

Mr. Average
    Participant

I know, I know, but that you’d even think of it is good enough for me. Frankly I’m in my own “Big Mech, Small Tank” phase, so even 6mm Mechs at 2” suit the purpose famously. I’m doing up Tavshar Archons (a bear to assemble but beautiful on the table) and Impact “Whisper” Mecha as “Ronin” super-siege mecha and “Ashigaru” “Light” assault mecha, respectively, with 3mm scale “Drahh’z” from O8 as their conventional support. They scale up nicely against Microworld 6mm BOLOs and 3mm sci fi tanks as less advanced but more stubborn Earthinoid armed resistance.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

That’s quite a mash up!  The Archons and Whispers are great!  There also another set coming out called “conflict Horizon” and I really like a lot of the mechs they are going to do.  Their Germanic faction is very different!

Mr. Average
    Participant

Wow, those I like! Might make good “reverse-engineered” Mechs for a Human faction, possibly the Russian Confederation.

Thomaston
    Participant

SPec-Sec, There’s a fuchikoma in there.

Tired is enough.

Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

SPec-Sec, There’s a fuchikoma in there.

Just reminded me I need to wrap up the other 3 new types at some point…

So I bought some of the Jovian (Chronicles) Wars KS minis a long while back, and had forgotten that they came with mecha squadrons!  Great little minis, just detailed enough to know what is what but the poses are extremely limited, and I’d say they’re at about 1/800 scale (should have measured them…).  The small size would work for small hex grids, and could totally work with 1/600 scale tanks models.  I think the way I’ll go about it is to design them at 1/600 scale, but them upsize them and do the detailing at 1/300.  That way I can do 1/600 (or smaller) at a later date if wanted.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.