Home Forums Horse and Musket 18th Century One Hour Wargames with spouse

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    vtsaogames
    Participant

We plan on holing up in Maine for the winter. My wife bravely offered to play a wargame. I decided One Hour Wargames were easier than DBA and written in English. The Horse and Musket rules work well enough so I set up the first scenario of Seven Years War Austrians against her Prussians, scenario 1. I started off making a piecemeal attack to ensure her win but my dice heated up and it looked like I might win anyway. But when the smoke cleared she had a cavalry and an infantry unit still in being facing my lone artillery unit. I threw in the towel and offered her my ruler. She had her first win in 50 minutes of play. She said she could see playing that again.

This too shall pass

ian pillay
    Participant

That’s brilliant. My other half insists on vacuuming up my toy soldiers, you’ve got a keeper there!

OHW is great to introduce people to a wargame. As you rightly pointed out it’s written in simple English not Barkersees. It is also very easy to pick up the rules after a turn or two.

Hope you get more games in during the Winter with the missus. Maybe suggest a simple campaign?

Tally-Ho!

Chris Pringle
    Participant

Counsel for the prosecution: “When did you stop beating your wife?”

Defendant: “When she wouldn’t play any more.”

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Never heard this one before:

and it looked like I might win anyway

I threw in the towel

Creep 🙂

vtsaogames
    Participant

Maybe suggest a simple campaign?

In time. I have one from the internet, one based on the War of the Spanish Succession in Italy, maybe three linked games with a very funny description.

This too shall pass

Nathaniel Weber
    Participant

We plan on holing up in Maine for the winter.

1. I love cold weather and would probably really enjoy a winter in the great north.
    2. There’s a certain writer in that neck of the woods who has strenuously warned us, for several decades now, to not do what you’re planning to do.
    Sane Max
    Participant

There’s a certain writer in that neck of the woods who has strenuously warned us, for several decades now, to not do what you’re planning to do.

What, play wargames against your wife? I agree strongly. My wife tried once to ‘take part in my hobby’ and we played a perfectly nice game but somehow if felt all wrong. Especially when she kissed me at the end.

She loves Space Hulk mind, and is fun to play with – but something about the wargame ambience doesn’t feel right.

jeffers
    Participant

I played my daughter (then aged 8) using the unmodified Rifle & Sabre rules. She thoroughly enjoyed it, but is a bit too cool for that sort of thing now.

I got thrashed.

More nonsense on my blog: http://battle77.blogspot.com/

Sane Max
    Participant

Last year’s speed-project was to paint both sides for a Biblical one-hour wargame with my daughter, she was willing when I Started, but by christmas she had gone right off the idea.

AH WELL

vtsaogames
    Participant

My wife is always allowed to quit the wargames. We have Dominoes (both newbies), Yahtzee, Scrabble (she rules) and some other board games. Plus hiking when the snow allows. Some sight-seeing will be in order. Perhaps I’ll get a backgammon set… if there’s not already one in Maine.

We have friends up there too, meet them outdoors at about 10 feet distance.

Ah, Mr. King. He writes too many books. Can’t stop himself.

This too shall pass

Mr King has limited talent with language, but he did open the way for one of the greatest movies ever.

Sane Max
    Participant

Mr King has limited talent with language, but he did open the way for one of the greatest movies ever.

and several of the very worst to balance it out. I must admit I didn’t think much of Stephen King first time I laid eyes on him; looked like a stiff breeze would blow him over. That was my first impression of the man.

My wife rented ‘The Langoliers’ on VHS (she liked David Morse??!) and we sat there slowly feeling like we were having our brains sucked out by some sort of demonic power.

“Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. Unless you have watched ‘The Langoliers’ TV Movie re-cut as a VHS release.”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.