Home Forums General PC and Console Gaming One Spitfire vs Two Focke-Wulf

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Since 1 v 1 was so easy, I thought I’d try 1 v 2, My Spitfire vs 2 Fw190A8s on Ace.
    A few good fights, the 3rd one particularly was a very hard fight.

Does the Fw190 ever try to fight to its advantage? Boom and Zoom. What I’ve seen of WWII AIs they always turn fight.

I think the last one was harder because you were damaged. Even damaged you were able to keep up with him though.

I love seeing burning Spitfires.

I really like how pretty the clouds are.

Does the Fw190 ever try to fight to its advantage? Boom and Zoom. What I’ve seen of WWII AIs they always turn fight. I think the last one was harder because you were damaged. Even damaged you were able to keep up with him though. I love seeing burning Spitfires. I really like how pretty the clouds are.

In DCS, rarely, the AI some times go into infinite loops. But that not really boom and zooming. Not that the A8 is good at it anyway. It was way too heavy and slow. Not a good anti fighter plane. The earlier A3 and A5 models seem to be superior in all ways in fighter combat. A8, was 500kg heavier than the A5 but no more power.

But in DCS even the Me109K4 which is a superb boom and zoomer in player hands rarely do so. Don’t in IL2 either.

Only sim I know where the AI plays to its strengths is Cliffs over Dover blitz. In the beta testing I’m doing in that game, I’ve tried some dogfighting,  even on moderate difficulty, the 109Es simply refuse to play my game. It will boom and zoom, it won’t get into a turn fight at all and if I try and lure the 109 down low so it can’t  boom and zoom so effectively it says, well screw you buddy and just flies away.

In like 20 dogfighting lasting severally hours all together. I never shot down a 109. Either it shot me down, or it ended in a stalemate.

Once I managed to klip it in a wing as it flew past me. But it takes a lot of hits with just .303s  to take it out.

At the same time the AI isn’t super human, they miss shots far more often than in IL2 or DCS, and larger dogfights with a dozen to more planes. The AI will make mistakes. A typical example is if one plane is chased by 2 or more enemies in their desperate attempt at get away they’ll crash in trees, buildings or even into the sea.

It’s a fantastic game. Most realistic overall ww2 flight sim if you add AI, engine management, flight model, damage modeling, etc.

DCS has it beat on some down and dirty complex modeling and might have a tiny bit more realistic flight modeling and much better sounds. But Clod has much better AI, much better damage modeling, not to mention a compete ww2 experience on the western front 1939 to 1941, as well as North Africa.

As well as some 30 flyable planes with like 90 different models. There’s like 12 different spitfires and like 20 different Hurricane and like 30 different 109s. You got Wellingtons, Stukas, Ju88, He11, Baufighter, Gladiators,  even French and Italian planes. Once the new big update is released with VR support, new clouds,  new trees and 4k plane and terrain it will be THE ww2 sim I think.

Damn, Cliffs over Dover sounds like the game to play. I’ll have to look into that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.