Home Forums Air and Sea Naval One Year Anniversary for My Blog

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So March 8 was the one-year anniversary of my blog ( https://mymodelsailingships.blogspot.com ). In honor of that minor milestone, I’ve added a post about the anniversary with some looks at what posts have been popular over the last year. I also take a look at where my visitors have been from, and discuss some ideas for the second year.

One of those ideas, a page of books useful for the Age of Sail gamer was posted today also. To make that first post easy, I reviewed Sam Willis’ Fighting at Sea in the Eighteenth Century. Please come by, check things out, and feel free to leave some comments.
    BWW

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    Who maketh my spirit to shine
    --Warren Zevon

Keymaster

Happy blog day!

Participant

Thanks Mike!  It doesn’t feel like I’ve been doing it for a year.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

Congratulations, Brian! One year of consistently excellent, informative posts is quite an achievement. As for those 220 views on ACW… well, that was probably me.

I’ve not read Willis’ Fighting at Sea, but I now feel the need to add it to my library. I’ve often felt that the weather gauge has been overemphasized in games. And that the effects of roll and pitch are almost entirely ignored–especially after experiencing a windjammer cruise a few years ago.  Though I suppose much of that would depend upon the scope of the game you’re playing. The domain of captains and gunners, not necessarily admirals.

I look forward to many more years of your blogging success.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

Jeff,

Man, between you complimenting my posts, and Stew in CA calling me his “AoS mentor,” I’m not sure how much longer my head is going to fit through the doorway here!   It’s been fun though, and I’m glad other people besides me are enjoying it.

Willis’ book is fantastic.  He does talk about swells, pointing out that they actually affect every ship differently, unlike almost all the paintings we see.  He manages to cover issues from the level of the chasing Captain all the way up to the fleet Admiral.  As first books go, it was an amazing effort.

Tim,

Thanks, and I will have to steal that for future use!

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Participant

Hey Brian,

Sorry to be late to your party. I haven’t been blogging much the last couple of months, life issues getting in the way. Congratulations. I started mine in 2012 and have been nowhere as prolific a poster as you. You are a natural at this. All the best!

"Research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I’m doing"
    Wernher von Braun

Participant

Thanks, Vol.  I had noticed that you hadn’t posted anything over the last couple of months.  I was going to drop you a line when we got back from our vacation, so it’s nice to see that you are OK.

I'm lucky to be here
    With someone I like
    --Warren Zevon

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.