Home Forums WWII Operation Barbarossa Campaign

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi all, I finally got my Operation Barbarossa campaign rolling using 6mm minis and the old Barbarossa 25 bathtub campaign booklet.  The first couple of posts are on the blog:

Turn 1 June: AAR 1 Initial German Air Attacks A summary of the predawn bombardment.

Turn 1, June – Lithuanian Border   A small battle at one of the crossings into Lithuanian.

And I’ve creted a “Barbarossa Page” that will list links for all of the battles.

The next battle is already on the table, I’m hoping to play it Friday evening.

Hope it might be of some interest. Thanks for looking.

irishserb

Participant

I’d consider the losses the Germans took to be quite high considering how much damage was done with the bombardment.  Do you think there would have been a difference if you’d stuck to doctrine as you have wished to?

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Yes, it is conceivable that the Germans would have not lost any infantry stands.

I had a conspicuously poor series of die rolls for the German support weapons at first, changed dice, and things progressed more like you might expect.  But before that, the Germans lost four stands of infantry.

The Soviets also benefitted from a couple turns of surprisingly good morale rolls, which contributed to a couple of the German losses.

The next battled features slightly stronger Russian forces, but they are still overmatched, and will suffer through similar bombardment.  I expect the Germans will achieve similar success without nearly as many losses.

Participant

I recall someone once telling me “realistic battle doctrine makes for not-so-fun games”, referring to the heavy use of artillery…

Those dice, always boggles me how one set can be so against you and another set so much more compliant! 😀

Participant

Yes, the artillery thing can be a little dry.   Fortunately it isn’t a part of the next battle.

I do actually think those dice have some sort of a problem.  They do not ever result in a 1,2 or 3.  Ever.

Participant

I’ve posted AAR-3 on the blog, also  in Lithuania west of Kaunas.

https://irishserb.blogspot.com/2024/01/barbarossa-turn-1-june-aar-3-lithuanian.html

Thanks for looking.

Participant

I do actually think those dice have some sort of a problem.  They do not ever result in a 1,2 or 3.  Ever.

Sound like “special occasion” dice, used for exactly those times when you need to roll very specific numbers…  😉

Twas a good battle for the Germans, ratio-wise.  I’m sure things will change a bit once the ruskies get their own arty into the swing.

(I admit that even though the Russians are our allies, for some reason I still generally root for the Germans when they are against them)

Participant

I still have two battles that are a little more involved and two that are more like the first one with lone NKVD companies being hung out there.   Work has gone crazy this week, but still hoping to get the next battle in this weekend.

Thus far, I’ve sort of seen this more through the eyes of the Soviet troops.  I guess its just the underdog thing, but that will start to change at some point.

I think the Soviet regimnental and/or brigade HQs got hit for this next battle, so not much chance of artillery in this one either.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.