Home Forums Modern Operation Chokehold, Batrep #1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Participant

All,

It’s 0530 on 29 June 1990 and members of the Cuban Liberation Expeditionary Force are on the move in the Balkan state of Cronistria, where the Fall of the Wall has led to the disintegration of Yugoslavia and democrats are fighting communists to determine the future of Cronistria.  Cuba sent a small detachment of Special Operations forces to assist the Cronistrian Democratic Movement (CDM) back in April, and since that time the Cuban-backed CDM has made steady progress.  Most recently, the CDM pushed into the village of Brezno, several kilometers southwest of the capital of Miran.  While the assault ultimately devolved into a stalemate, the fighting proved the CDM had matured into a bona fide force capable of succeeding, and so Cuban leadership decided reinforce the CDM with conventional armored forces.  A battalion-sized element consisting of two mechanized infantry companies and a tank company was dispatched to Cronistria, arriving on 20 June 1990.

Nine days later the force, now combined with the Cuban SOF and identified, by the name of its commander, as Task Force Galban, is ready to move.  TF Galban is broken down into the SOF element and three mixed battlegroups, each named after its commander.  Each battlegroup has a platoon of tanks (actually, wheeled armored vehicles packing a 105mm cannon), two platoons of mechanized infantry (in wheeled armored vehicles), attached heavy weapons (mortars, machine guns, and ATGMs), and reconnaissance elements (in HMMWVs and Scimitars).  TF Galban is set to begin Operation Chokehold, wherein the Cubans will skirt Brezno to the northwest, semi-isolating it and Miran, allowing Brezno to be reduced by CDM troops and opening the road to taking the capital.

This operation, which will consist of between eight and sixteen separate fights, is played in 6mm, with troops from GHQ and buildings from JR Minis, using Ivan’s “5Core Company Command” rules.

Overview of map,  north is up, the town of Kacak, with its key bridge, at center, and Hill 121 at left.

The opposing forces, with Communists on the left and Cubans on the right.  I just realized I don’t have the command stands for either force present…

The Cuban force, which consists of the company commander, Lt Aguilera (not pictured), six rifle stands (each is a squad, so two platoons), a Milan ATGM, a HUMMWV with TOW ATGM, and an AMX-10RC.  The Communists have six rifle stands (each is a squad, so two platoons’ worth), a T-62, and a command stand (not pictured).  The Communists are on the defensive and will begin the game hidden.

Some bad guys look down on barbecued HMMWV.  To check out the fight, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-14.html

I played a total of four fights this weekend for Operation Chokehold.  I figured the entire Op would be about six or eight fights, but it’s looking like it will be even more than that, as I hadn’t really planned on getting kicked off a map (SPOILER ALERT!).  But I don’t care, I’m having a blast, feels like the old Cuba Libre “War of Liberation,” in which  I went for 32 total fights.  I figure this Op will last me another two weekends.  So stand by for the next three batreps from this weekend.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

The Cubans fought to a standstill and forced to retreat? What happened to the guiding hand of St. Thomas of Havana and his tipping of the scales. No divine intervention this time? What have the sinful Cubans done to lose his divine favour?

The Cuban rogue pirate state has good taste when it comes to armoured cars. Of this and only this I approve! That and I also approve of this latest Just Jack Production. Good board (except the hill) great buildings and lovely minis coupled with an engaging and enthusiastic, dramatic narrative. Well done Jack, this one’s a keeper! I like the Cronistria setting and hope to see more of it. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson

Participant

You got your over confident butt kicked….. Love the way it worked out !!! Thanks I needed this… I’ll be fighting WW3 on the Rhine  this Friday.

Participant

Nice prologue, introducing characters, giving them motivation and demonstrating that the enemy forces won’t be a walkover which will give subsequent victories more value. Good way to start this epic. 🙂

Participant

Rod – St Thomas, eh, that’s funny.  I know you like the AMX, and more fights are on the way.  But what was wrong with my hill???  Perhaps you miss the carpet?

John – Overconfident?  Kiss my @#$!!! 😉  The games were great, I’ll post the next one ASAP.  And I hope you get your butt kicked on Friday!

Vicki – Thanks Vicki!  You make playing with toy soldiers sound so grown up 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Your a Marine, Just Jack, all Marines are overconfident !!!!!!! Looking for Batrep 2 !!!!!!!

Participant

All,

It’s 0700 on 29 June 1990 and Battlegroup Aguilera is re-forming and preparing to make another push into the town of Kacak, where they just received a bloody nose at the hands of the Cronistrian Communist forces. Casualties were substantial, but the Cubans are ready to get back in the fight and take Kacak.

Things are not going so well: Lt Aguilera is watching his right flank crumble, the attack on Kacak is again faltering! He dismounts his command vehicle and leads his HQ section into the fray! To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-15.html

Well, that’s fight two of four from this weekend, and two of probably a dozen for the entirety of Operation Chokehold. Hope you liked it, and more to follow.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Wow thought the Cubans where going to get killed again but they pulled it off !!!! WooHoo !!!

Participant

Very dramatic, this looks like being a great series of reports. Really looking forward to the next one. 🙂

Participant

Yep, heulluva fight, the situation was seriously in doubt.  Glad you guys liked it, next one coming right up.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

All,

It’s 0830 on 29 June 1990 and Battlegroup Caballero has just crossed the line of departure, moving into the attack on TF Galban’s second objective, the town of Premja.

North is up, the village of Brezno is at bottom right, the capital of Miran is off map to the right, directly east of #5 on the map. Each number is a village/town; you can see buildings (black boxes), roads (tan lines), rivers (blue lines), lakes (blue circles), hills (green humps), bridges (gray pairs of lines), and forests (green shaded areas). TF Galban will enter the tactical area of operations in the southwest (bottom left) corner.
    1: Brezno
    2: Kacak
    3: Premja

Overview, north is up. The town of Premja is at center right, part of Lake Bulodna at bottom right, and Hill 103 at top left. Battlegroup Caballero will enter from the southwest (bottom left).

The bad guys spring their ambush, firing an RPG at the Cuban Scimitar. To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-15.html

Well, fight number 3 of 4 from this weekend is in the books, one more to post, then more games this weekend.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Hey Jack this link goes to the last fight not a new one.

Participant

Sorry, wrong link. Not sure how I screwed it up, but here’s the correct one:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-16.html

Too late to edit…

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Couple more fights and there may not be any Cubans left !!!!

Participant

The problem, if it is a problem, seems to be that the attackers and defenders are roughly equal in terms of numbers. And then the defenders get the additional advantage of being hidden. Which is great when it comes to giving a challenging solo game, much more exciting that having 3:1 odds in favour of the attacker and a walkover. And we got a great AAR out of it, so I’m not complaining. 🙂

(Given the casualty rates, you might want to have the Cubans reconsider their policy of shooting their own men after a defeat. Plus if they keep it up I’ll start cheering for the other side.)

Participant

How did you make your forest stands? They look like exactly the kind of thing I am looking to have on my table.

Participant

Kyote – We’ll be bringing up the cooks and clerks, as necessary.

Vicki – Yep, the fights are tough, and it’s because I’ve thrown out 3:1 as a means of surprising myself and making it more difficult for solo play.  Does tend to add a bit of drama, maybe even too much 😉

And don’t sweat the ‘summary executions.’  I can assure you:
    1) no fake Cuban electrons or lead men were harmed in the making of this battle report;
    2) this is not a commentary on any aspect of any person, organization, nation, religion, or creed;
    3) it’s just a rhetorical device to express my displeasure with my bad dice rolls, particularly at some very inopportune times; and lastly
    4) it’s meant as nothing more than a half-ass attempt at humor.  I get that I may be a bit rough around the edges, and I definitely find some things funny that most other humans don’t, but we are all victims of our upbringing and experiences.  And to that all I can say is, HAPPY 241st BIRTHDAY, MARINES!!!

So no cheering for the other side! 😉

Thuseld – those are 30 x 30mm plywood bases, and evergreen trees made from pipe cleaner-type material, both of which I picked up from PicoArmor in the US.  I spray painted each base, dropped it in some flock, then used a knife to poke holes in the wood bases and ‘screwed’ the trees in.

The last fight (that I’ve played so far, more to play this weekend) should get posted in a few hours!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

So no cheering for the other side!

As if I would. These are great reports, they’re the first thing I check for when I get up in the morning. 🙂

Participant

I always cheer for both sides Just Jack.

Participant

All,

It’s 1030 on 29 June 1990 and Battlegroup Caballero, having just been rejected from the town of Premja, is again going over into the attack.

With a HMMWV burning (bottom right) from the earlier fight, the Stryker pushes forward, and the ambush is sprung!

The Cobra rolls in to make a rocket run. To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-17.html

Stay tuned, more games coming this weekend.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack:

Good report (#17). I still haven’t read # 16 yet. The latest report was cool but I can’t help but think you have made the attack helicopter to resistant to damage. Am I wrong or can’t it be destroyed, only driven off for three turns or shocked for one turn? Sort of makes it the hand of God in such a low level scenario, doesn’t it? Nonetheless the action was great and the narrative crisp and exciting. Good stuff!

I will get to the unread stuff this weekend. I am also ashamed to say that I have not yet managed to find the time to get down to the post office to post your package yet, as I promised to do, so you have my apologies on my tardiness. I’ll try to get it done tomorrow or failing that I’ll do it at the weekend. I may drop in a little surprise to assuage my own guilt for not getting this done.

Cheers and good gaming.

I will be cheering for the other side!

Rod the delinquent Robertson.

Participant

Great report, and I love the look of the helicopter firing. 🙂

Lets see if you can win the next village on the first attempt, now you’ve got the super soldiers in a prisoner of war camp. 🙂

Participant

What an excellent visual feast of modern day wargaming, love the missiles.

Participant

Rod – The helo is not particularly powerful;  I’m really just treating it like a light-armored vehicle that ignores terrain for movement purposes, and ‘morale’ is a bit different.  6 Kill is still dead, 1 Kill is damaged and leave the table, 6 Shock is leave the table for three turns, 1 Shock is leave the table for 1 turn.  I let infantry fire 1K 1S at the helo (in reaction, as it rolled in); the ZSU was supposed to be the Cobra killer, which I was going to give 2K 3S, but it got whacked by a TOW.  In any case, the Cobra made two runs, and I think all it did was get ‘men down’ (a sort of suppression, can’t move or shoot, severely penalized in close combat, can only be rallied by a friendly unit coming into base contact) on a few enemy rifle squads.

And no sweat on the troops, I’ve got plenty to do.  I knew were a delinquent, just not delinquent 😉

Vicki – Those @#$%ers were killing!!!  It was surreal; that one squad was really kicking my butt, and it was starting to affect my morale! 😉  I’m off work today for Veteran’s Day, so I’m about to head upstairs.  We’ll soon see if I can take the next ville on the first attempt.

William – Why thank you Sir, I appreciate the kind words and hope you’re enjoying the story.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Nice to see some air involved !!! I shot down a Hind in my game today…I had West Germans V Soviet Airborne on the Rhine river.  That was kinda my moral victory cause the rest  of the Nato forces got  killed off.

Participant

Just read report #16. Great stuff, Jack! Keep on truck’in man! Thanks for posting these, they are great fun to read and ponder.

Cheers and good gaming.

Rod Robertson.

Participant

Yeah, the Cobra is a regular guest of mine now.  And stop losing to the Soviets, traitor!

Thanks Rod, I appreciate it!  And I’ll bite: what’s got ya ponderin’, and what are ya ponderin’?

I played four games this weekend, next batrep coming right up.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

All,

It’s 1230 on 29 June 1990 and Battlegroup Elias is on the move, crossing the line of departure on its way into the Cronistrian town of Abrvo. The plan of attack is take take the urban area west of the river, consolidate, then infiltrate across the river and attack what is believed to be strong defensive positions atop a nearby hill. After some setbacks early on in the offensive, TF Galban seems to be rolling, and the Colonel is depending on Captain Elias to keep the initiative.

Here’s the board with the troops placed. As usual, I placed the Cubans (bottom left), then I placed one marker and one dummy marker for every enemy rifle squad, and one marker and two dummy markers for the enemy vehicle, then flipped them over and placed the bad guys.

Cuban infantry (top center, top left) push ahead to secure the objective, but the bad guys have excellent fields of fire. That’s a lot of open ground to cover! To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-18.html

This is the first of four fights I played this past weekend. Hope you like it, and more to come!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Good AAR Just Jack, kinda was biting my nails for a while…

I’m still learning Team Yankee and this was only the second time I have run my West Germans by my self. As I learn more about what the WG can and can’t do I’ll get better at running them. I always have a learning curve.

Participant

Great AAR, looking forward to the next one. 🙂

Participant

Kyote – Yeah, these games have kept me biting my nails.  And good luck with ze Germans; I really like those Marders.  I almost bought a pack, but they’re so expensive, and I only need two…

Vicki – Thanks, next one will be posted this afternoon/evening.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

All,

It’s 1330 on 29 June 1990 and Battlegroup Elias has just taken the town of Abrvo.  However, the Cronistrian Communists have established a defensive line just east of the town and river, anchored on their left by Lake Lagoda and centered on Hill 142.  Captain Elias sets about quickly reorganizing his troops for the assault on Hill 142.

Overiew of map, north is up.  Abrvo is at left, Lake Lagoda at bottom right, and Hill 142 at top right.  Yes, I need to put some flock on the lake…

The Cuban HMMWV (bottom right) dodged an RPG (bottom left), moved up, and launched a TOW at an enemy T-62.  To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-19.html

Next up, Captain Aguilera’s assault on Pisa,  Last time Battlegroup Aguilera was up it took them two tries to take the objective…  I’m having a great time, lots of linked fights going rather quickly, moving the story along.  I hope you guys are having a good time too.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Just Jack, you can special order just the Marder’s  for 9 bucks each from Battlefront but shipping is 10 bucks on all orders so…..If I had any extra I would send them to ya.

Participant

Another great AAR. Nice to see the airforce turn up, I wasn’t expecting that. 🙂

Participant

Oh I love the F-4 !!!!!

Participant

John – Thanks man.  I ordered three Challengers and three Warriors from Old Glory; the Warriors are not my favorite, but the Challengers are really nice, and I’ve got the OG Army Card, so they’re all nice and cheap.  I need to get some M-113s and and BMPs.  But I really like those Leo IIs and Marders…

Vicki – Yeah, the Air Force finally made an appearance, though, by that time the fight was pretty much already over.  Typical Air Force 😉

Next one coming soon.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

All,

It’s 1500 on 29 June 1990 and Battlegroup Aguilera is pushing ahead towards the Cronistrian town of Pisa, at the northern edge of TF Galban’s operational area. Once Pisa is secured the Task Force will swing west to complete the encirclement of the Cronistrian capital city, Miran. Battlegroup Aguilera was the first element off the starting line for Operation Chokehold, kicking off the operation with an enemy assault on the town of Kacak. Lt Aguilera is a bit anxious; his men are ready, but will this be the meatgrinder the battlegroup ran into in the first attack, or will they be victorious, as in the second?

Let’s find out 😉

Overview, north is up. The Cubans will enter from the southwest (bottom left), behind Hill 176, attacking the city, Pisa (top center) and seize its vital road junction. Doing this will:
    1) cement TF Galban’s left flank;
    2) remove the Dubrovna garrison; and
    3) allow TF Galban to move on to its next objective, the town of Stanje.

Hill 150 is at top right, beyond Pisa.

The Cobra rolls in on a rocket run. To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2016/11/cuba-libre-cronstria-fight-20.html

One more fight to post, this one being Battlegroup Caballero’s completion of the operation, the assault on Stanje to complete the encirclement of the capital city. But don’t worry, that’s not the last fight 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Yay, I got name checked in an AAR 🙂

Well done, I thought you were in trouble when the enemy got reinforcements but the Cobra proved it’s worth again. 🙂

Participant

I love that Cobra !!!! Thanks Just Jack.

Participant

Vicki – “Yay, I got name checked in an AAR”
    Yeah, squeaky wheel and all that 😉
    I was quite a bit worried myself, but it worked itself out.

Kyote – No sweat man.  Next one coming up.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.