Home Forums Modern Operation Chunky Bandit

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 327 total)
  • Author
    kyoteblue
    Participant

And we are back with “Cubans” V “Communists”.

Just Jack
    Participant

Indeed we are.  And stop using the air quotes, it’s not that hard to follow! 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

It just always twists my brain…

Just Jack
    Participant

It’s been five years and 119 battle reports!!!

kyoteblue
    Participant

Yes, and it still does that.  I grew up with a Communist Cuba starting in 1959 !!! But I do enjoy your AARs.

Whirlwind
    Participant

Very nice write-up.  As you say over quite quickly – if only that RPG had connected with its target!

On 5-Core being noticeably simpler than Chain of Command, what type of game swould you recommend the one for, and what type of game for the other?

https://hereticalgaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote-John: You grew up with a lot of things that are no longer around/true 😉

Whirlwind-John: If only that RPG connected???  Who’s side are you on???
    I’m not sure I follow your question, but I’ll take a stab: first, I’d say 5Core isn’t more simple, just that I’ve changed quite a few things from the rules as written to streamline them.  With those streamlined rules I like to play cartoony, Hollywood-hero style games on very small playing surfaces.  Chain of Command, well…  I did it on a lark.  It’s a platoon-game that I bumped up to a company-game, and while I had a good time with them, a more critical review of my 10-game campaign shows it wasn’t really successful.

That is to say the rules gave a quick game (for its size), were fun, but the deployment didn’t really work, as I easily won all of the games I played.  I’m trying to make sure that statement is actually true; while playing them I felt like (most of) the games were close, but reading them after the fact and looking at people’s comments, it doesn’t really seem like that was the case, and so I’m trying to figure out if 1) they were actually close and just my write-ups aren’t accurately reflecting it, or 2) they weren’t that close and feeling like they were was simply my competitive nature kicking in.  I’m thinking the latter, because while I’m always mapping things out in my head, true defeat for the Germans was always more than two steps down the road, never actually on the cusp.

So I think I’m going back to I Ain’t Been Shot Mum for company-sized engagements for Barbarossa with KG Klink.

Hopefully that gets somewhere near answering your question; if not, please try me again 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

Looks like you’re really taking advantage of the quarantine.

I too was hoping to see the tank go BOOM!

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Just Jack
    Participant

I’m trying!  And it wasn’t even a tank, just a teensy, weensy little Scimitar, ya bunch of bullies!

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Sad trombone… no boom boom.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

1000 on 4 Aug 1990
    Mini-Campaign Fight #2
    TF Bowie vs FSNL 4th Company

1st Lt Madre-Animral leads the tough Marines of TF Bowie straight east, assaulting the FSNL 4th Company’s positions.  This is a simple attack/defend scenario; the Cuban goal is to crush their enemies on the way to the capital, the Communist goal is to hold the ground.

No sooner does the Cuban attack jump off then they run into enemy infantry (far right).

Return fire is intense and Lt Madre-Animral dashes forward under heavy fire to rally the troops!

Stymied on the right, the Cubans try the left, bringing up their LAV-25 and more infantry.

But the Communists are quick to counter!

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
    https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-28-ground.html

Next up we have 1st Lt Espinale’s TF Hawk attacking the FLA’s 2nd Company.

V/R,
    Jack

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

“OMG, they killed LAV!  You bastards!”

That was a seesaw of a fight.  But those AGL didn’t seem to do much.  Jack, in your experience how effective are they?  I’ve heard so many contradictory things about the Mk19.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

I was sure you reused the photo of the RPG attacking the LAV.

I still think 82mm mortar thing was a suspiciously detailed excuse.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Just Jack
    Participant

Darby – Yeah, LAVs don’t seem to last long in my games…

Regarding the automatic grenade launchers, I never ran across an AGS-17 in the wild (and it fires a smaller, 30mm round), but plenty of experience in Iraq with Mk-19s.  I’m not sure who you’re hearing negative stuff about Mk-19s from, they’re absolutely ferocious!  Give’em 10 seconds and they’ll put nearly a dozen 40mm HEDP rounds right in somebody’s shorts, out to a klick away, and they even did a job on those thick, stone-walled houses in Fallujah.

You’re right, they don’t do much in the games as I’m really just handling as machine guns as I don’t want them to take over the game.

Thomaston – You’re a terrible human!  Sorry I haven’t replied to your last email, I’m still pondering how far I’m going to go with the aircraft.

V/R,

Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

1000 on 4 Aug 1990
    Mini-Campaign Fight #3
    TF Hawk vs FLA 2nd Company

1st Lt Espinale leads his TF Hawk straight east, assaulting the FLA 2nd Company’s positions.  This is a simple attack/defend scenario; the Cuban goal is to crush their enemies on the way to the capital, the Communist goal is to hold the ground.

Free Cuban forces (far left) are rushing headlong into an ambush!

Which is, of course, initiated with an RPG.

What is this, Cuban forces falling back (far left), leaving a burning Chieftain and FV-432 (far right) behind???

To see what happened, please check the blog at:
    https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-29-ground.html

Next up we have 1st Lt Ordonez’ TF Redleg attacking the FSNL’s 5th Company.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Wow, a win for the East Germans !!!

Whirlwind
    Participant

Whirlwind-John: If only that RPG connected??? Who’s side are you on???

Just for the sake of the story, you understand…

I’m not sure I follow your question, but I’ll take a stab: first, I’d say 5Core isn’t more simple, just that I’ve changed quite a few things from the rules as written to streamline them. With those streamlined rules I like to play cartoony, Hollywood-hero style games on very small playing surfaces. Chain of Command, well… I did it on a lark. It’s a platoon-game that I bumped up to a company-game, and while I had a good time with them, a more critical review of my 10-game campaign shows it wasn’t really successful. That is to say the rules gave a quick game (for its size), were fun, but the deployment didn’t really work, as I easily won all of the games I played. I’m trying to make sure that statement is actually true; while playing them I felt like (most of) the games were close, but reading them after the fact and looking at people’s comments, it doesn’t really seem like that was the case, and so I’m trying to figure out if 1) they were actually close and just my write-ups aren’t accurately reflecting it, or 2) they weren’t that close and feeling like they were was simply my competitive nature kicking in. I’m thinking the latter, because while I’m always mapping things out in my head, true defeat for the Germans was always more than two steps down the road, never actually on the cusp. So I think I’m going back to I Ain’t Been Shot Mum for company-sized engagements for Barbarossa with KG Klink.

Yes, that makes perfect sense, many thanks.

Whirlwind
    Participant

Ouch, that last one hurt!!!  As you say, a bit aggressive that one, bit off a little more than they could chew…

Whirlwind
    Participant

Good game 2 as well, nice to see the Cubans get a good break in that one.  You know, that’s the first time I have seen on a table a clash between an AGS and a Mk-19.  I don’t think I have heard of a real life incident either.

Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Regarding the automatic grenade launchers, I never ran across an AGS-17 in the wild (and it fires a smaller, 30mm round), but plenty of experience in Iraq with Mk-19s.  I’m not sure who you’re hearing negative stuff about Mk-19s from, they’re absolutely ferocious!  Give’em 10 seconds and they’ll put nearly a dozen 40mm HEDP rounds right in somebody’s shorts, out to a klick away, and they even did a job on those thick, stone-walled houses in Fallujah. You’re right, they don’t do much in the games as I’m really just handling as machine guns as I don’t want them to take over the game.

That’s reassuring to hear as I figured they’d be monsters, especially with the frag rounds.   One guy I talked with did convoy protection and said they were crap vs. ambushers that lay on dunes.  Maybe the sand didn’t set them off or the baddies were too much on the reverse slope?  I dunno.

Seems if you had them working as at least grenade attacks or small mortars your dudes might bet more bang out of them, so to speak!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Thomaston
    Participant

That’s disgraceful, the tank doing almsot nothing while the APC did the killing. Superior spirit and fighting prowess of the South Leon people can beat any capitolist toy.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Just Jack
    Participant

Holy crap, I just need to trash this whole campaign, I’ve obviously completely screwed this up as Kyote thinks there are East Germans involved and Thomaston doesn’t realize the Cubans are fighting on behalf of the people of South Leon, alongside their allies from the South Leon Army, against the Communist insurgents of the “South Leon Army” and the ‘regulars’ from their neighbor to the north, FSNL.  Though the tank’s actions were disgraceful, getting close assaulted into oblivion…

Darby – Yeah, the Mk-19 IS a monster.  I don’t quite get the sand dune comments; it’s got a little arch but is still direct fire, so I’m guessing what the convoy dude was talking about is the fact that if you shoot high you’re missing by a mile, but that’s true of any machine gun.  I’ve never heard about sand dunes not being solid enough to detonate the grenades; it seems strange to me, but I really just don’t know.  I was in the Sunni Triangle, so plenty of urban areas, trees, and canals, not so many sand dunes.

Whirlwind John – Yeah, I don’t know if Mk-19s and AGS-17s have ever actually faced each other down in real life, maybe during the Gulf War?  Would certainly have occurred if the balloon had gone up during the Cold War, but I can’t think of anything else.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

But the East Germans are commies!!! and it looks like they are fighting the Brits… GO Team Yankee!!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

In the jungle! 😉

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

The mighty jungle the lion sleeps tonight…

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

1000 on 4 Aug 1990
    Mini-Campaign Fight #4
    TF Redleg vs FSNL 5th Company

1st Lt Ordonez leads his TF Redleg straight west, assaulting the rear of the FSNL’s 5th Company’s positions in an attempt to breakthrough to their comrades in Task Group Halabrio.  This is a simple attack/defend scenario; the Cuban goal is to crush their enemies on the way to the capital, the Communist goal is to hold the ground.

The Cuban right comes under mortar fire.

But is still able to assault through the village.

While Major Fulgencio is able to lead Marines up on the left, where they eliminate the enemy pickets (bottom right) and get into their rear area, closing in on the enemy mortar team (top left).

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-30-ground.html

Next up we have a team of Task Force 23 and the South Leon Army’s D Company defending against the FSNL’s 3rd Company, the Communists having been defeated by TF Hammer and being forced to fall back into the SLA troops, though it does present a problem as their defenses were oriented to the north, not the west.

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

And the Brits defeat the East Germans again.

Thomaston
    Participant

Communist mortar, best mortar.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Whirlwind
    Participant

Great report, many thanks Jack.  As you say, having that extra commander seemed to make an important difference there.

Thomaston
    Participant

This just came to me. Somewhere on the interweb there’s probably a blog of an ex Airborne guy playing wargames and bashing on Marines 😀

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Just Jack
    Participant

Kyote – Those were Vietnam-era US Marines, even a couple with M-14s, NOT Brits… 😉

Whirlwind – Yes, it’s a great tool to work in qualitative differences between the forces.

Thomaston – Nah, even on the internet he knows better 😉

V/R,
    Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

So the Marines are working with the Brits against the East Germans in Denmark. Go Team Yankee!!!

Just Jack
    Participant

In the campaign I used modern US, British, French, and Israelis, and Vietnam-era US Marines and Army, vs Modern Soviets and insurgents, and Vietnam-era NVA ‘regulars.’

Because I do what I want! Except put palm trees in Denmark, hence ‘South Leon.’ 😉

V/R,

Jack

kyoteblue
    Participant

Denmark could have Palm Trees… Yes, I know but I have to give you a little Raz.

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

1130 on 4 Aug 1990
    Mini-Campaign Fight #5
    South Leon Army D Company vs FSNL 3rd Company

The SLA’s D Company was dug-in deep into defensive positions oriented north, prepared to fight off the Commie hordes coming down Route 1, but aware of the Cubans’ Task Group Halabrio attacking east to west behind them.  What they were not expecting was for a Communist company-sized battlegroup to be defeated by TF Hammer and pushed into their rear, but that’s exactly what happened!  Having said that, the industrious SLA troopers were able to rush some troops to their left flank and prepare a defense, even digging in a couple of their units, as the Communists approached.

The SLA troopers are dug-in and expecting trouble, and as the Communists creep through the jungle, the defenders open fire.

Despite the prepared fields of fire, the enemy manages to push forward in the center.

But the SLA mortars and machine guns make quick work of them.

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-31-ground.html

Next up we have the rematch between Lt Espinale’s Task Force Hawk and the Free Leon Army’s 2nd Company, which fought the Cubans to a standstill, knocking out a tank, an APC, two rifle teams, and wounding their commander!  The Cuban paratroopers are seeking retribution.

V/R,
    Jack

Thomaston
    Participant

I’ll spare calling out how you cheated because I’m happy with how accurately you’ve represented the superior morale of the communist force with FSNL3. Attacking despite severe odds, brave souls.

Mortars shouldn’t miss that often.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Whirlwind
    Participant

I hope a combat camera team caught that on tape for the training video “the company in defence”…

Never mind, very odd series of die rolls will cause very odd games with pretty much any rules.

kyoteblue
    Participant

The East German judge gives it a 2.2.

Just Jack
    Participant

Thomaston – “I’ll spare calling out how you cheated…”  First, I didn’t cheat, I screwed up ,there’s a difference! 😉  And who is the man who had hermit crabs drag wounded troops out of the line of fire, then perform emergency surgery anyone to accuse ME of cheating!!!??? 😉

Whirlwind John – As we’ve discussed, I just can’t get set-piece defenses to be fun solo, so I think I’m done trying.

Kyote John – The East German judges?  If I’d known judges were present I’d have followed the East German precedent of pumping in horse pills 😉

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

1200 on 4 Aug 1990
    Mini-Campaign Fight #6
    TF Hawk vs FLA 2nd Company

This is the first fight of Turn 2, where we have 1st Lt Espinale and TF Hawk in a rematch with the FLA 2nd Company’s ferocious defenders.  To see the map moves, please check here:
    https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-mini-campaign_25.html

TF Hawk was roughly handled in the first fight, losing a tank, an armored personnel carrier, two rifle teams, and having their commander lightly wounded.  The Cuban paratroopers, supplemented by commandos from TF Dusty, are singularly focused and seeking retribution.  This is a simple attack/defend scenario; the Cuban goal is to crush their enemies on the way to the capital, the Communist goal is to hold the ground.

The Cubans are making good progress in the center (center), when suddenly an enemy Technical shows up (far right).

So Captain Villagrosa brings up the Charlie G team, who sends an 84mm round down range…

While the MG team holds down the left flank.

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-32-ground.html

Next up we have the South Leon Army’s D Company, buttressed by one team from Task Force 23, defending against the FSNL’s 1st Company.

V/R,
    Jack

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 327 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.