Home Forums Modern Operation Rush Delivery

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Victoria DicksonVictoria Dickson
    Participant

Looked like a cake walk, then looked like it was going to be a disaster for you.  Well done in turning it round.  Great report. 🙂

Just Jack
    Participant

Yeah, things were going pretty smooth until they weren’t.  I certainly pushed the team too far (in the next game as well), they should have pulled back.  But I’m in these ‘capture the bad guy scenarios’ where pulling back isn’t really an option.  You go all out and either succeed and get him or fail and he escapes.

The game was a lot of fun, and a bit of a test to see how using the teddy bear fur mats would go for skirmish.  One more fight to go for Operation Payback, coming up Monday.

V/R,
    Jack

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Sorry I’m late, good AAR. Love the Teddy Bear fur but the cork road just does not lay right on it.  I know the cork is light and just does not conform. Sorry for nitpicking.

Just Jack
    Participant

John,

No sweat man, and I totally agree, the roads looked like crap, but I didn’t really have a choice.  The mats actually have some cool roads cut into them, but they don’t match up with the river section, so I had to lay down a road to bridge the gap in road from the edge of the regular mat to through the river section.  As you noticed, doesn’t look great, but I thought it would look even worse if I had the good looking road that ran straight into grass and then the bridge, or if I used one of the road sections to try to cover the grass on the river section (from end of the road to the bridge).

So no sweat, I’d like to figure out a better way.  I’m thinking of cutting the grass off the river sections, except just a little bit to serve as the river bank.

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

I thought it looked ok, maybe my standards are lower?

Shaun TraversShaun Travers
    Participant

I did not notice anything untowards in the terrain either – I must have the same “high” standards as V 🙂

Just Jack
    Participant

Well, Shaun doesn’t have standards for anything 😉

But Vicki decidedly has high standards on terrain, look at all the work she puts into it!

I generally don’t want to be bothered, and most of my good looking terrain was bought that way, not made that way by me…

V/R,
    Jack

Shaun TraversShaun Travers
    Participant

<q>Well, Shaun doesn’t have standards for anything </q>

Which could explain why I have so much fun!

Participant

Well, Shaun doesn’t have standards for anything 😉 But Vicki decidedly has high standards on terrain, look at all the work she puts into it! I generally don’t want to be bothered, and most of my good looking terrain was bought that way, not made that way by me… V/R, Jack

If I could afford to buy it I would. 

I think having a blog has made me try harder, but I still do everything too quickly and  can see all the flaws in it when it’s done.  Glad you like it though. 🙂

Just Jack
    Participant

Shaun – Amen!  I remember when all my buildings and walls were just spray-painted khaki, never had so much fun! 😉

Vicki – Which is to your point: I know I could do better with figures and terrain if I’d just slow down, but I have too much stuff I want to do in gaming, so I have to get to a ‘close enough’ standard as quickly as possible.

Next fight coming right up.

V/R,
    Jack

Just Jack
    Participant

All,

AKA, the 17th fight of Operation Payback

It’s 1330 on 20 July 1990, and the invasion of Avalor, a small Caribbean island-nation near Cuba, upon which Castro-regime holdovers have been organizing, training, and launching attacks on the homeland, is underway.  Previously three Reconnaissance and Surveillance teams from 10th Special Forces Group were inserted to support the invasion; one is in position in OP India, but the second team was compromised and extracted, and the third team (Rebel 33) was ambushed and wiped out.  Next, 1st Lieutenant Huerta’s 18th Grenadier Guards of the 6th Parachute Battalion jumped from C-130s onto three separate Drop Zones (DZs) in the pre-dawn darkness, planning to immediately form up and march on their objectives, the terrorist training areas and barracks on Avalor, manned by terrorist trainees and their Venezuelan and Iranian trainers.

In the last four fights we saw Lt Jaramiho’s 1st Platoon successfully seize DZ Crow, Lt Escobedo killed in action while 2nd Platoon was trying, unsuccessfully, to secure DZ Bluebird, and then Lt Reyna’s 3rd Platoon successfully seize DZ Albatross.  The Company Commander, Lt Huerta, rounded up his paratroopers, formed them up, then linked up with Lt Estevez’s ODA 525 for the assault on the objective areas.  Then we saw Lt Huerta lead Lt Jaramiho’s 1st Platoon and three Special Forces teams from ODA 525 to secure the terrorist training areas on Avalor, followed by Major Villanueva leading Unit 101 to capture El Commandante, the Venezuelan Army officer running the training camp which has been preparing and funneling terrorists into Cuba.

Reconnaissance and Surveillance teams from ODA 424 scouted the terrorist barracks and discovered it had been abandoned, so Lt Huerta had his reduced company of paratroopers and ODA 525 encircle the compound believed to be inhabited by The Adjutant, an Iranian  working with the Venezuelans to train and equip terrorists for attacks inside Cuba.  The Adjutant was believed to have a unit of bodyguards comprised of members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps, or IRGC, providing close security for him at all times.  Unit 101’s executive officer, Rake: “I don’t like it Boss, heading in against these guys.  They’re tough, well armed, well trained, they know we’re coming, and we’re coming in broad daylight, with no support (no air or mortar support as they want to capture The Adjutant alive).”  “I gotcha buddy,” said Major Villanueva, “but ours is not to reason why…”

Overview of The Adjutant’s compound, north is up and the table is 2′ x 2′.  The target building is at top right, the Cubans will enter at bottom left.  Numerous dirt roads criss-cross the area; there’s a mini-plantation of rubber trees at bottom center left, and a park with a pond at bottom center right.

As usual, I’m playing this game solo using Ivan’s “Five Men at Kursk” skirmish rules.  Usually I play them slightly modified to give (to me, at least) a more modern feel, but today I’ve modified a whole bunch of stuff, not sure even Ivan would recognize them.  The biggest issue is that I’m working on a pared down version of a “Threat Generation System” I recently got from a buddy (don’t worry, I intend on using the whole thing, just not for this game), and so enemy troops will pop up somewhat randomly.  Which, for me, means at the worst possible time in the worst possible place (foreshadowing: you better believe it!  The target building is at top right, we never even got anywhere near it!).  With that, the enemy became primarily a reactionary element, and so that necessarily drove some changes to what I was doing.  Then I started getting the ever-loving crap kicked out of me, so I had to bend a bit more.  When it wasn’t getting any better for me, I had to throw the Threat Generation System out (to be fair, I was just planning on bringing in new bad guys in perpetuity, I guess, where even the real Threat Generation System, i.e., the introduction of new enemy units onto the table, is only scheduled to occur for a certain amount of time.

With the team pinned down under heavy fire (top left), Trinity says hell with it.  He hops the stone wall and charges through the rubber tree plantation, intent on coming to grips with the terrorists in The Thicket.  To see how the fight turned out, please check the blog at:
    http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2017/08/operation-rush-delivery-fight-8.html

So, my darlings, that finally wraps up Operation Payback, I hope you enjoyed it.  Next up, I need to finish up Phantoms Over Havana.  Then I’ve got more projects then I know what to do with!

V/R,
    Jack

Participant

Great end to this series of reports, I think you should save the threat generation system for when you feel like losing a game. 

Just curious, but how do you get the roofs off the buildings?  I don’t see anything you can grab them by to lift up, do you push down at one end and the other pops up?

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Thanks, Jack, I look forward to you air game.  Hints on whats next after that?

Just Jack
    Participant

Vicki – yeah, that was shaping up to be quite an ass-whooping, but it was a total blast!

Not all of the buildings have detachable roofs, but it kind of stinks as I have to pick them up and flip them over to pop the lid off.  Better to glue an air conditioner unit or something to the roof to use as a handle.

John – thanks bud, glad you liked it.  I played three ‘Phantoms Over Havana” fights last weekend, have another two to go this weekend, then I’m looking at some massive (for me) tank vs tank battles to finish up Cronistria, all hell is about to break loose in South Leon, and Dutch East Indies on land, air, and sea.

V/R,

Jack

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.