Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Paddy Griffith's Napoleonic Brigade Game – First Thoughts

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please here for a “first thoughts” review of The Brigade Game from Paddy Griffith’s Napoleonic Wargaming for Fun: link

One of the very few rulesets aimed at this level of gaming.

Participant

Most interesting, thank you. I played a “divisional” game so many years back I don’t recall much – I have the original Paddy Griffith book. Suffice to say it did not become our standard rules but we are a picky bunch.

The idea of both sides becoming unformed at first sight and regular troops popping off volleys at impossible ranges strikes me as a little too much. More likely to me is unit commanders perhaps dragging their feet, but experienced troops shouldn’t get flustered by the sight of the enemy unless it is a surprise, like an ambush or masked batteries, etc.

I have been thinking of another legacy set of rules, Wargame Research Group’s 1750-1850 rules which gave me a lot of fun back in the day. They had problems: light infantry were gods, raw troops folded up under cavalry attack every time, and massed infantry columns (the Napoleonic phalanx) were unbeatable. But at the core, every combat situation was a test of nerve between the two sides and one or the other would flinch or worse. I keep looking for ways to copy that basic dynamic without bringing the whole mechanic along, lock, stock and barrel.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.