Home Forums General General Paint rack use and thoughts

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Ladies, Gentlemen (I use the term loosely) and all, I am after opinions on paint racks, what do you like about the ones you use, what don’t you like, what would you like to see?

I personally use a circular rack mounted on a turntable, 3 tiers high as I find that is most paint for least worktable footprint. Others I know favour stepped racks and vertical racks etc.

So ideas, thoughts, wisdom on the matter.

Yes it does mean I am thinking of designing laser cut ones….

Participant

I use Laser cut MDF ones, they are ok if a little flimsy. a more robust design would be good. I don’t remember who i got mine from, they are regulars at my local games shows in northern England if that helps. They were pretty cheap and do the job

I was considering buying acrylic / Perspex ones like the Nail Bars use after seeing them on some Yank’s Youtube Channel… being able to see the whole pot / bottle would assist with speedy selection.

My dear wife has denied me permission to wall-mount them as i wished, I suspect she hopes to turn my Game Room back into a bedroom… so a wider base that makes them not prone to topple would be good. I keep planning to glue them to a wider bit of wood for that reason.

Pat

Keymaster

I generally don’t like most of them as they collect dust and other crud.
    I use nail varnish racks that I screw to the wall, they allow bottles of all various shapes and sizes and you can push to tubs/pots right next to each other so they take up less space than racks with dividers.

Participant

Paint rack?

I’ve heard of those.

Haven’t got one. I ‘ve got a box.

Paint box

Participant

The ones I am planning ( and getting feetback before finalising) will be cut in ply not MDF, and the circular design makes them pretty stable on a flat surface, especially if you use a glass lazy susan turntable.

What I never liked with perspex and mdf racks in tiers was the amount of table footprint they took up, hence circular on a turntable to try and minimise footprint and maximise storage.

Keymaster

I was considering buying acrylic / Perspex ones like the Nail Bars use after seeing them on some Yank’s Youtube Channel… being able to see the whole pot / bottle would assist with speedy selection. My dear wife has denied me permission to wall-mount them as i wished, I suspect she hopes to turn my Game Room back into a bedroom

Like this?

Participant

test of the current design, made in card (laser cutting and ply are expensive) while I iron out kinks.

The colours aee red for Vallejho/Coat D’arms type bottles and green for GW sized ones.

The idea is to have each level self contained so you can swap them up or down etc.

Cat not included in final product.

Participant

Paint rack? I’ve heard of those.

Me too. I know, however, that such things exist in a better world.

Haven’t got one. I ‘ve got a box.

I’ve got a box too, and I will not post a picture of it because it’s worse than yours. 😉

http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html
    https://www.anargader.net/

Participant

All my ready use paint lives in an old shoe box, with my brushes stacked on the palette on top and my painting glasses to one side. Very easy to carry around the house to whichever spot I’m currently allowed to paint in.

Spare paint lives in a drawer.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Participant

The goal to “minimise footprint and maximise storage” seems to be hindered by the use of spaces/holes for the paint?  All of the white area shown in the photo of the mockup is wasted space.  Better, as Mike suggested, to allow the paint “tubs/pots right next to each other so they take up less space than racks with dividers”?

Also, the round format -while using the least amount of area- may create corners of ‘dead space’ on a workbench that would be filled by a rectangular rack?  dunno…

Participant

Some of it is based on my experience, I am fortunate in having a table in a bay window, so it sits on a back corner with little wasted space behind. But it means vertical ones on a wall are no use to me!

Hence the enquiry for others to see what they want/need/use in paint racks.

A version with a retaining rail, but no dividers is a good idea, helps with none standard sized paint pots, the odd tube or square Ink bottle as well.

Participant

I have a rack 330mm wide, 400mm high and 60mm deep that holds 100 Vallejo bottles. I’ve added a couple of large MDF bases to it’s base to make it more stable. It has worked so well, and my collection of paints has increased so much, that I have just bought a second.

I also have a box of Citadel and Humbrol paints.

Standardisation? Standards? We have many standards, which one would you like? 🙂

On wall mounting, I have a wall mounted rack in the bedroom. Which is a shame. Because I paint in the living room these days. I’m sure I’ll find alternative use for it eventually. Perhaps I should start wearing nail polish 😀 😀 😀

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Participant

I’ve got a box too, and I will not post a picture of it because it’s worse than yours.

I’m with Guy too, tho that is my ‘storage’ medium* not my palette. Which is a small tray on my desk- about 15 shades plus ubiquitous Humbrol enamels and stirrers (of course); scalpel and a few eccentric litters of metal bits, pokey things, etc…

Could be carried off, only about twice a year, to make desk presentable again…

*Unfortunatey in cramped quarters I’ve had to constrain bulk materials [ and gaming terrain ]  to an array of large plastic bins ~ 80L etc, stackable…
    -d

Participant

I’ve got a box too, and I will not post a picture of it because it’s worse than yours.

I too have a box of shame which I will not photograph 🙂

https://jimssfnovelsandwargamerules.wordpress.com/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.