Home Forums Horse and Musket Napoleonic Painted Battalion packs only 19.00 GBP!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ferg981
    Participant

Evening all,

You can buy 18mm Painted Battalion packs from Stonewall Figures for only 19.00 GBP (about 25 USD)

I got some Spanish Hussars to add to my Spanish army and I have to say that I was impressed with what I got.

Plenty of pictures on my blog for those who are interested in that kind of thing…

Painted Cavalry Units only £19.00 from Stonewall Figures

Regards

J

My Blog - https://peninsularwargamingblog.wordpress.com

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Interesting to see the do not come based.  One concern I always had was if the bases would match either previously purchased figures or my own.

Shipping without basing makes a lot of sense to me.

Mike
    Keymaster

Interesting to see the do not come based.  One concern I always had was if the bases would match either previously purchased figures or my own.

Shipping without basing makes a lot of sense to me.

Yup, surely more likely to sell and easier to make too.

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

They are pirated figures.  The copyright belongs to Xan, not Stonewall.

My wargames blog: http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/

Mike
    Keymaster

Can you elaborate please @jemima-fawr

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Can you elaborate please @jemima-fawr

It’s been discussed at length on numerous forums and Xan has won a series of court-cases for breach of intellectual copyright against Capitan (who gave Stonewall the masters even though they had no right to do so).  Stonewall have form for it, having previously been caught red-handed in 2004 by AB Figures, FAA and by Testudo in 2011.  If you drop Xan or Tony Barton a line I’m sure they’ll tell you all about it.

Andrew Beasley
    Participant

Problem here is this is a service being offered and may be totally legit as the figures could have been purchased from a legal source and then painted up…

Folk have no way of knowing the origin of these figures and if Xan feels these are covered by the court case rulings it needs to be brought up with trading standards else Stonewall could cry defamation of character for such claims.

Recasters should be handed by the laws in place and its a practise that I abhor as times are hard for all small manufacturers in good years (and this is not one).

May I suggest this threat is locked?

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Problem here is this is a service being offered and may be totally legit as the figures could have been purchased from a legal source and then painted up… Folk have no way of knowing the origin of these figures and if Xan feels these are covered by the court case rulings it needs to be brought up with trading standards else Stonewall could cry defamation of character for such claims. Recasters should be handed by the laws in place and its a practise that I abhor as times are hard for all small manufacturers in good years (and this is not one). May I suggest this threat is locked?

Sorry, but Stonewall advertises as a manufacturer of ‘Capitan’ figures.  ‘Capitan’ Napoleonic figures ARE Xan figures.  It could not be more blatant.

Mike
    Keymaster

Sorry, but Stonewall advertises as a manufacturer of ‘Capitan’ figures.  ‘Capitan’ Napoleonic figures ARE Xan figures.  It could not be more blatant.

They don’t sell them under licence?

Or from their site:

“Capitan Games is now legally owned by Stonewall Figures.  All the Master moulds along with the original production moulds are here. These “old” moulds are being replaced from the master castings.”

Jemima Fawr
    Participant

Sorry, but Stonewall advertises as a manufacturer of ‘Capitan’ figures. ‘Capitan’ Napoleonic figures ARE Xan figures. It could not be more blatant.

They don’t sell them under licence? Or from their site: “Capitan Games is now legally owned by Stonewall Figures. All the Master moulds along with the original production moulds are here. These “old” moulds are being replaced from the master castings.”

Capitan manufactured Xan figures under licence.  They eventually fell out with Xan, who cancelled their licence and told them to cease and desist.  Capitan carried on regardless, now claiming that the range was entirely theirs.  They further sub-contracted to Stonewall, despite having no right to do so and no right to the range.  Xan took them to court in Spain and won, thus affirming his ownership of the range under European (and by treaty, UK) law.  Capitan and Stonewall claimed that the moulds and masters could not be returned as ‘they’d been destroyed’ (which curiously continuing to manufacture and sell them).  Xan took them to court again and won again, winning assurances that the masters (which surprise, surprise, hadn’t been destroyed after all) would be returned to him.  Stonewall now starts claiming that the range has been sold to him and that he is now the ‘official owner’ of the range.  Xan (or rather the intellectual property author’s union to which he belongs) has now started court proceedings in the UK.

This has strong echoes of what happened to Tony Barton when he was defrauded out of the Battle Honours range.  Like Tony, Xan has found UK trading standards to be fairly disinterested and view this as a civil matter, so it’s up to him to mount a private prosecution.  How many one-man band wargames figure manufacturers have the sort of funds to do that?  And how much would the courts award even if they won?  Thankfully Xan has the backing of a union, Tony just had to give up on Battle Honours and instead start all over again with AB (which Stonewall then pirated… funny how that name keeps cropping up).

Mike
    Keymaster

I have contacted both parties.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Mike
    Keymaster

I have received statements from both parties and they both claim the other party is in the wrong.
    As such this will remain locked.

Sorry for the hassle.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Painted Battalion packs only 19.00 GBP!!’ is closed to new replies.