Home Forums General General Painting 10mm Samurai…help! (Updated 12/07)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kitfox
    Participant

I’ve just spent the whole day ruining some lovely Kallistra 10mm ashigaru with ham fisted painting.  Anyone willing to share a few tips for painting in small scales before I flatten the rest with a hammer?

Death to all fanatics!

I’m painting Kallistra ACW at the moment –

this is my Wargames standard.
    Kallistra ACW Union

would you be happy with achieving something like this standard?

if so, some simple rules:

brushes – but a set of Army Painter brushes.

select the Wargamer: Detail Brush and block paint the basic colours – work with darker than standard uniform colour.

now select brush Wargamer: Kolinsky Masterclass.

Paint each blocked colour with the standard uniform colour you want but only painting the central and raised areas. Leaving darker painter where other colours/parts of the uniform are.

then with same brush, use a highlight colour, quite bright, and just touch raises and central detail with this bright colour for each colour on the figure.

example for flesh. Block paint flesh a dark brown. Highlight with a dark/sunburnt flesh colour/highlight with light flesh colour. you can then choose to apply a wash – I recommend a dark brown enamel wash. If you don’t want mix this up yourself simply buy Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (Dark Brown). This stuff works wonders!

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

Usagitsuki
    Participant

Did a guide on painting 6mm samurai if it’s any help:

https://wargamesasp.wordpress.com/2017/04/02/6mm-sengoku/

Kitfox
    Participant

I’m painting Kallistra ACW at the moment – this is my Wargames standard. Kallistra ACW Union would you be happy with achieving something like this standard? if so, some simple rules: brushes – but a set of Army Painter brushes. select the Wargamer: Detail Brush and block paint the basic colours – work with darker than standard uniform colour. now select brush Wargamer: Kolinsky Masterclass. Paint each blocked colour with the standard uniform colour you want but only painting the central and raised areas. Leaving darker painter where other colours/parts of the uniform are. then with same brush, use a highlight colour, quite bright, and just touch raises and central detail with this bright colour for each colour on the figure. example for flesh. Block paint flesh a dark brown. Highlight with a dark/sunburnt flesh colour/highlight with light flesh colour. you can then choose to apply a wash – I recommend a dark brown enamel wash. If you don’t want mix this up yourself simply buy Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color (Dark Brown). This stuff works wonders!

Thanks, that’s incredibly helpful.  If I can get anywhere near that standard I’ll be happy.

Death to all fanatics!

Kitfox
    Participant

Did a guide on painting 6mm samurai if it’s any help: https://wargamesasp.wordpress.com/2017/04/02/6mm-sengoku/

You know, my whole dilemma is your fault! It was your fantastic 6mm buildings that inspired me to start looking at samurai again!  😆

And now you’ve done it again, those 6mm look lovely….maybe I could order a few  from Baccus you know just to try them! 😀

My wife is currently shaking her head at me with despair!

Death to all fanatics!

Usagitsuki
    Participant

The Pendraken buildings (ex-Castle Arts) are excellent. You could probably use them for both 10mm and 6mm (Baccus anyway). I’ve not painted any 10mm, but I would think that the paper sashimono trick would work at that scale. Saves a lot on the painting if you’re doing guys in sashimono.

Kitfox
    Participant

Looks like I’ll have to wait a wee while to try the 6mm as Baccus are shut for a bit.  In the meantime had a go at the 10mm using Rhys’s technique.  Results below for the first couple compared with yesterday’s (surviving) effort.

Yesterday’s horror in yellow!

I did cheat using a magnifier but much better to my eyes at least. What do you guys think?

Death to all fanatics!

Usagitsuki
    Participant

They look fine to me.

Kitfox
    Participant

Thanks, steep learning curve but knowing what not to paint has been key as you suggested.

Death to all fanatics!

Thomaston
    Participant

I thunk the yellow ones look good.
    The only thing I could suggest is paint the spear point black before painting silver. Leave a little black between the brown and silver makes it stand out a little more.
    Those spears are amazingly nice and straight.

Tired is enough.
    I like tiny miniatures

Looking good 😊 you’ve got nothing to worry about and you will only get even better the more you practice.

Gun Dog Miniature Painting Services
    https://m.facebook.com/gundogminiatures/
    Sniffing out unpainted armies!

Kitfox
    Participant

I thunk the yellow ones look good. The only thing I could suggest is paint the spear point black before painting silver. Leave a little black between the brown and silver makes it stand out a little more. Those spears are amazingly nice and straight.

Good call, the annoying thing is that they were under coated in black.  Another great learning point, thanks.

Death to all fanatics!

Kitfox
    Participant

Looking good 😊 you’ve got nothing to worry about and you will only get even better the more you practice.

Thanks, your tutorial was easy to follow and really helped drag me away from my usual wash and dry brush style which doesn’t work at this scale.

Death to all fanatics!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.