Home Forums General General Painting Block (And A Cure)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Ochoin Ochoin 1 year, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Coyotepunc
    Participant

I’ve been kind of stuck painting my 28mm Imperial Japanese for Bolt Action. I haven’t been able to pinpoint why this is, but I noticed something the other day: I paint much more efficiently when I am only painting a few figures at a time. I noticed this as I was painting Chaos Cultists for Warhamster 40,000; by painting a single model or two at a time, I seem to be much more engaged in the process.

So when I finish the Cultist unit, I am going to go back and try painting the Imperial Japanese in small groups of four instead of the entire 15 model squad all at once.

I will let y’all know how it goes.

I gotta post in english? With all those awesome games out there with foreign language titles? C'est la vie!

Mike
    Mike
    Keymaster

I find it easier to paint in small bits too, and then not to pressure myself.

But to say lets just see what we can do before I get bored, rather than decide I must finish them all in one go.

Guy Farrish
    Guy Farrish
    Participant

Strange isn’t it. I spent years following the advice in (I think) Charge!, or it might have been one of Charles Grant’s books, to paint as a production line. I used to get up from painting with a glazed expression after painting 48 sets of gaiters, or cartridge boxes and when I finished a unit there was just a great feeling of ‘I never want to do that again’ rather than elation or enthusiasm to play with them. It would take days or sometimes weeks to get painting again.

Moving to smaller units helped and then painting in batches of c8 maximum moved it more into the realm of enjoyment. That worked well with skirmish games or small units or barbarian types, but I noticed that if I were not careful I’d end up with bases of figures that were all slightly different shades (I mix my colours from primaries usually). Answer – carry on but don’t base each group as you finish (dur!) mix them up at the end so it looks as you would expect units with different aged uniforms to look, rather than having blocks of neatly irregular(!) uniform issue.

I also like having several different types of figure on the go so when (not if) I get bored I can move onto something other than scarlet coats and then come back refreshed. It also helps if you have some things you don’t mind too much about the level of painting and can slap paint on to relieve the frustration. (that currently encompasses c100% of my painting style).

Good luck with the Imperial Japanese.

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

Good advice offered in the above posts.

I’d add having a goal certainly helps with painting motivation.

Annually, for the past 9 years, we run a mega-game at a local Train & Hobby show. For our little group, this is the highlight of the year’s gaming ^ the focus of much of our terrain creation & figure painting.

In 10 days time, we’ll be running ‘Hannibal Ad Porta’ , a plausible battle where the Romans must stop the armies of Hannibal & his brother joining.

It will feature some 1400 1/72 & 20 mm figures. My contribution is about 400 figures for Hasdrubal’s army & a few hundred Romans. I’ve been working on it, on & off, for the last 10 months & the joyous expectation of the show has easily kept me motivated.

I finished my last figure, last night.

Here’s Hasdrubal’s 1100 point Field of Gory army on the painting table:

[/url]

[/url]

(More & better photos in 2 weeks).

donald

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by Ochoin Ochoin.
    • This reply was modified 2 years ago by Ochoin Ochoin.
    Darkest Star Games
    Darkest Star Games
    Participant

Looks really good Och, though that backdrop painting might need to be a little bigger!  😉

Very impressive, actually.  I can’t imagine painting that many figures that size.  6mm, no prob, but 20mm or 28mm?  No way.

I tend to flip back and forth.  There are times where I don’t mind spending 2 or 3 hours on a single figure, and others where once i’m done I look at it and go “dang, I spent too much time on that one…”.  Usually when I do assembly line I don’t get more than 1/2 way done before I have to stop, but then the project sits there and mocks me for a week or 3.  It’s happening right now!  I have about 50 Ion Age figures 15mm figures that are base coated and shaded, but haven’t had the highlights and details done yet, and they’re just there, all lined up on a tv tray, just waiting while I’ve shifted focus to building a 1/400 space cruiser for a convention game in November…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

I was mulling over the idea of getting figures painted professionally as an antidote to don’t like/don’t want to paint.

I’ve never done it and haven’t any need to as I like painting (poor deluded fool, I am). However, as each of us has a unique painting style, isn’t there the possibility that pro-painted figures might stand out, perhaps disconcertingly?

So: an entire army or none?

donald

zippyfusenet
    Participant

isn’t there the possibility that pro-painted figures might stand out

I sometimes seek professional help when I’ve run out of steam on a project. I’ve had good luck providing the contract painter with a sample finished figure and a bag of the same unpainted, and asking him to ‘match this’. Since my painting style isn’t that advanced, they mostly have to dumb themselves down, but for enough money, they’ll do it.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Autodidact-O-Saurus
    Participant

I can only keep one project at a time on my painting desk. If I’ve got more than one I just flit back and forth and never get anything completed. In general, I won’t work on more than 20 figures at a time and I usually cut down on the number as I get to more detailed, fiddly painting. So, 20 block painted, then 10 and for the fleshy bits, then to 5 for the belts and fine details. I find that if I get 4 or 5 completed it gives me enough satisfaction to keep me motivated. I can’t do long sessions like I used to, though. I may have several 30 or 45 minute sessions over the course of a day interspersed with web surfing, etc.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Phil Dutré
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

I paint whatever I’m in the mood for. I usually have a number of things on my painting desk: a unit of 20 or so figures, some individuals, a building or two, some various figures that need repairing.

When I sit down to paint, I decide then and there what I want to do.

There’s one figure on my painting desk which has been sitting there, unfinished, for over 10 years.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

. There’s one figure on my painting desk which has been sitting there, unfinished, for over 10 years.

I gotta know….what figure & why?

donald

Coyotepunc
    Participant

Very nice to see such a polite ongoing discussion!

I gotta post in english? With all those awesome games out there with foreign language titles? C'est la vie!

I have gone the other way in that I often paint around 100 figures at once regardless of scale. I managed to churn out 96 28mm Russian Napoleonic over a week a month ago and felt quite chuffed to do so. Followed that up by 50-100 ww2 Romanians (including vehicles)

Currently starting 150 1/72 French for Blucher\Grande Armee.

Gaz045
    Participant

I paint in batches of variable sizes……for instance I can happily knock out a 20mm tank platoon over several evenings or an infantry squad. The worst thing for me to do is line up all the unpainted figures in sight of the painting station…….that is a certain morale check and fail!

I have some figures that pop up into the queue but are the first to get relegated by the latest ‘shiny thing’……..I have an ACW collection in 6mm that has been sat primed and waiting for over 20 years….it’s not dead just dormant and occasionally gets added too…….

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Phil Dutré
    Phil Dutré
    Participant

The Jack the Ripper figure shown below. I don;t remember the manufacturer, and can’t seem to find it online either.

Jack the Ripper

I don’t know he has been sitting there for so long. It just happened.

Tiny Tin Men Blog: http://snv-ttm.blogspot.com/
    Wargaming Mechanics Blog: http://wargaming-mechanics.blogspot.com/

Ochoin
    Ochoin
    Participant

The Jack the Ripper figure shown below. I don;t remember the manufacturer, and can’t seem to find it online either. Jack the Ripper I don’t know he has been sitting there for so long. It just happened.

There’s an episode of the Twilight Zone or some such in this.

Keep your eye on the little fellow….& his big knife.

donald

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.