Home Forums General General Painting Facepaint

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

I am going to paint some of my Southern Desert tribal raiders with facepaint.
    But I am wondering if there is a way to make it look like sort of caked on paint?
    I suspect if i just paint white it will look like white skin rather than black skin with paint/mud on it.

Something akin to these images in terms of overall effect:

Some sort of blotchy feel.

I am not sure if a thin paint/wash that lets some skin show, or to sort of dab it on?

Participant

I’m not entirely confident of success, but how about using dry pigment/powder rather than paint?

One who puts on his armour should not boast like one who takes it off.
    Ahab, King of Israel; 1 Kings 20:11

Participant

Wow, those photos are very cool. How about applying paint with a cut down make up sponge? You’d probably have to cut the sponges to shape but it would be almost like stencilling.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

I would suggest dabbing it on with a nearly dry sponge too.  Though what size are the recipients, 15mm?  Might not work on that small a figure.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

Wt…? What nation/tribe do those people belong to??? I’ ve seen a lot of stuff over the years but those are completely unknkwn for me.

"In strange grammar this one writes" - Master Yoda

Keymaster
    Participant

What scale Mike?

Ive had good results in 15mm by painting the figure and then painting on the paint-if you know what I mean.  Then once it’s properly dry I paint the whole thing with a coat of Windsor and Newton nut brown ink,  That to my eye works nicely.  See the white face lad below.

war paint

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Keymaster

15mm, just paint on the paint normally?

Participant

Yes.  The ink seems to bring out the right war paint effect.  Don’t know why.  These Sadhus are are bigger canvas and I think it worked with them too.

war paint

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

I’d just use a very fine brush to paint little irregular lines of the “underlying” colour showing through on the larger, flatter areas. It would require much finesse and a less-is-more attitude.

I ended up with this:

It was interesting to see how these, amongst my very 1st 15mm compare to my more recent paint jobs of my own tribesmen.

The result is acceptable and the time taken was minimal, which is good.
    Debating if to go back and add more bones at some point.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.