Home Forums Terrain and Scenery Painting shiny plastics?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thuseld
    Participant

My terrain is a De from yoghurt pots and other shiny plastic. They don’t tale paint well. I find it scratching off. Is there some thing I could do to it beforehand to stop this happening?

I also find I have to layer paint a few times or it really streaks.

Angel Barracks

What are you using as a primer?

Mr. Average
    Participant

A hard primer will help – Krylon or Rustoleum is my preferred one. If even the primer is not taking on a surface because it’s too smooth, try giving it a light going over with fine-grit sandpaper first – it’ll take it from a smooth down to a kind of “frosted” consistency but will make the paint grip much better.

Angel Barracks

I am a Humbrol kind of guy myself.
    Mostly as the local Hobbycraft stocks it.

White for infantry.
    Brown for everything else.

willz
    Participant

A hard primer will help – Krylon or Rustoleum is my preferred one. If even the primer is not taking on a surface because it’s too smooth, try giving it a light going over with fine-grit sandpaper first – it’ll take it from a smooth down to a kind of “frosted” consistency but will make the paint grip much better.

The above works well, also matt varnish pre coat or watered down wood glue pre coat.

William Jones
    Participant

Absolutely.  And for finer detailed pieces, a toothbrush or nail brush with baking soda and water will put a bit of abrasion on pieces.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.