Home Forums Sci Fi 6mm Sci-Fi Painting small scale minis as Holograms…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Lawrence BoesterLawrence Boester
    Participant

Hello all!

I’m presently building a 6mm Nipponese force for ‘Horizon Wars’ and I want the Special Forces elements to stand out and be unique. To this end I’ve decided to roll with the idea that the Japanese are far advanced technologically and actually field Holograms as their SF units. I’m using Brigade Models 6mm Scifi Infantry as a basis, but want to paint them.in a manner that they look the part. Even a glowing single color is fine. Any tips from the Advanced painters out there would be appreciated. Cheers!

Make it quick, will ya'?

My 'Mech is double parked...

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

An advanced painter I’m not, but have you considered painting the figures with a strongly unified palette to give them a more “phantasmal” appearance? This would be the opposite of “glowing”, however – they would look more muted instead. I can’t think of how to make a figure appear glowing without using source lighting painting techniques (as commonly seen on CMON and similar communities of truly advanced miniatures painters) and that would require for there to be something non-holographic fixed next to / around the figures for the light to be shining on.

Out of curiosity, how do holographic special forces units exist and interact with the physical world in your setting? Is there some finesse to the special forces rules in Horizon Wars that entails the units in question don’t strictly have to be “real”? Would there be flying drones or something such which project the holograms and act as the actual sensors and weaponry that the holograms are mimicking? Or are you going for something more like the “corporeal hologram” notion from TNG-era Star Trek?

• This reply was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by RhodericRhoderic.
    Participant

HW allows for pretty flexible abstraction concerning many of their units (Special Forces being more notable) as long as you point out clearly what they’re supposed to represent (and my base sizes do that).

I figured I’d take a different tack with the futuristic Japanese who would be clearly concerned about committing open troops to battle and possessing the tech to create an alternative…

Make it quick, will ya'?

Mr. Average
    Participant

Use a dark green base coat, then a medium green top coat with a bright fluorescent green highlight, just touching the highest surfaces.  If the other units have an appropriately contrasting color to their uniforms, they’ll stand out nicely.  I recommend Reaper paints, and a good mix would be Forest Green, Grass Green and Jade Green.

You could even drybrush the highlight color very lightly onto the base to make it look like the light of the hologram is shining on the ground.

Angel BarracksAngel Barracks

Slightly related…

I have been pondering doing a few Japanese style buildings, but am struggling for ideas.
    Modern (and thus futuristic?) Japanese architecture seems not related to the Feudal Japanese style.

Anyone any ideas for sci-fi Japanese themed buildings?

Mr Sockmonkey?

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

HW allows for pretty flexible abstraction concerning many of their units (Special Forces being more notable) as long as you point out clearly what they’re supposed to represent (and my base sizes do that). I figured I’d take a different tack with the futuristic Japanese who would be clearly concerned about committing open troops to battle and possessing the tech to create an alternative…

I hope you won’t mind my inquisitiveness, I’m genuinely just asking out of curiosity and not in any way wanting to sound negative. I’m just wondering: Are holograms capable of actual combat and other battlefield duties like forward observation / target designation in your setting? Or does the Horizon Wars ruleset render those things moot for special forces units? On a related note, what is it that projects them?

Slightly related… I have been pondering doing a few Japanese style buildings, but am struggling for ideas. Modern (and thus futuristic?) Japanese architecture seems not related to the Feudal Japanese style. Anyone any ideas for sci-fi Japanese themed buildings? Mr Sockmonkey?

For inspiration, check out the 28mm Japanese-themed sci-fi buildings from LaserCutCard: http://www.lasercutcard.co.za/shop/scenery/futurehab (sorry Mike, I still can’t get hyperlinks to work – trying to switch from “Visual” to “Text” in the upper right corner doesn’t do anything anymore). The ryokan is particularly interesting (even if it’s ridiculously undersized for an actual ryokan) with its traditional-style walls but futuristic roofs that imitate the form of traditional kawara tiling in a stylized manner.

I was also going to suggest looking at the artwork in the old Mekong Dominion Leaguebook for the Heavy Gear RPG, but I just had a quick browse through it and there’s nothing particularly helpful for your purposes.

Participant

Use a dark green base coat, then a medium green top coat with a bright fluorescent green highlight, just touching the highest surfaces. If the other units have an appropriately contrasting color to their uniforms, they’ll stand out nicely. I recommend Reaper paints, and a good mix would be Forest Green, Grass Green and Jade Green. You could even drybrush the highlight color very lightly onto the base to make it look like the light of the hologram is shining on the ground.

Outstanding tips! Great idea about the earth around them glowing as well…I hadn’t thought of that.

Thank you! 

Make it quick, will ya'?

Mr. Average
    Participant

A stranger idea I’ve been kicking around is to actually paint all the figures in a set with UV-Reactive paint and run a game under blacklight. Not sure that’s healthy or financially sound (a whole set of minis for such a project) but it’s an idea.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

Love the idea Mr Average, it would make for one unique game, that’s for sure 🙂

jagannath
    Participant

For a glowing look you can also try going the other way to me average’a (excellent) idea –

Basecoat in a pale colour (seems to work best in mint/teal).
    Wash with a pale white.
    ‘Highlight’ with an ever so slightly darker teal.

It’s sort of the recipe I use for flames and gives a good glow effect. Never tried it on 6mm mind.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.