Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Painting stuff for Zero Dark playtesting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Robey JenkinsRobey Jenkins
    Participant

This is very much going to be a “a bit of everything” sort of plog, as I reach, scavenger-like, for whatever takes my fancy.

So let’s start off with some Maelstrom’s Edge:

Then some AT-43

Then some Hasslefree, for a nice EWOp/Sapper type:

And a UNA Fire Toad re-painted as an experimental Defence Mech:

Regards,
    R.

irishserbirishserb
    Participant

Very nice, really like the work on the fire toad.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I must learn how to chip models, looks cool.

Katie LKatie L
    Participant

You can get good results without having to go overboard by picking a contrasting tertiary colour and just running the brush sideways irregularly across corners, edges and prominences. So for (say) green tanks, you pick a neutral grey. Yellow models look good with a chocolate brown.

The main trick is not to overdo it — every so often, stop, put the model down and leave it a day before thinking about doing any more.

There’s an alternate approach which is to start with the rust; do a coat of dark brown, tin, orange inks, orange washes, very light silver drybrush and then do the main colour; when you get to the rust section, you “dab” the paint over the border to get a mottled transition.

It depends if your model is to be mostly-painted or mostly-rusted…

Buy a bunch of cheap plastic toy tanks. I found some packs on Amazon that were six quid and each included 4 tanks (and the hundreds of figures and other bits and bobs went to my nephew along with a couple of the commanders painted up in historical uniforms and put in little presentation boxes[1].)

These are great for practicing airbrushing, trying out cammo patterns and wash/rust/chipping effects and so on.

[1] Cos I am an awesome aunt. He’s 4. He doesn’t appreciate this.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.