Home Forums General General Passed Members

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

To the best of my knowledge a couple of TWW community members have passed away.
    Allen Curtis and now recently Rory McCreadie.

I am minded to add something to their profile to note this.
    I want to try and keep it neutral but at the same time respectful.

If it were me I would ask that someone go all Star Trek and change my profile picture to Bones shouting He’s dead Jim, but that is my own taste about my own passing, not everyone would appreciate this done about their deceased family members.
    I also want to avoid things like sadly passed, and dearly missed.

I am thinking about doing this for two reasons, it shows respect and could avoid potential embarrassment when people start quoting deceased members and asking them questions, only to be informed later that they are dead.

As such, to try and keep it short and informative without potentially causing upset, I am thinking of either Deceased or Passed Away.

What are the thoughts of the rest of the community, I appreciate this may not be an easy topic.

Participant

For what its worth Mike, I would be tempted to leave it alone, it seems to have problems for an issue that does not really need to be fixed.  The diversity of membership / visitors is such that you will never please everyone and may offend some. You also create the problem of trying to capture all those who have died, with the risk of missing some etc.

For my own part, I separate private life and health from my wargaming internet presence. I have never felt a need to share that space, though I appreciate some do – again, not being able to please everyone. Its only my opinion and not strongly felt at that and is only offered because you asked. I’m sure many others will follow with different views.

Participant

Can we get one thing out of the way? People don’t ‘pass’, ‘pass away’ ‘pass over’,  ‘go to join the choir invisible’ or any other synonymous phrase from the dead parrot sketch. They die.

Stick an obelus ( † ) by the member’s name if you must, but be aware that the deaths (see?) of minor characters like myself might not be reported to the wargaming world anyway, so “avoiding potential embarrassment when people start quoting deceased members and asking them questions, only to be informed later that they are dead” may still be a problem. Not for the dead person though, obviously.

And what Norm said.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

“In Memoriam, 2018”

I feel it’s appropriate and respectful when notification of a death is made. Though I suspect most deaths simply result in a member no longer posting.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

I’m with Norm here as well.   This is a path you don’t need to go down.  If you want to do it to show respect to those that have died, is it then going to be disrespectful not to do it for those that you don’t know have died but some other member knows that they have?  How do you intend to keep up to date on the mortality status of your membership?  No other forum I belong to does this nor feels the need to do this.  Perhaps there are very good reasons why they don’t.

Play is what makes life bearable - Michael Rosen

Participant

No other forum I belong to does this nor feels the need to do this. Perhaps there are very good reasons why they don’t.

One other forum suggested it. That forum has illusions of being a ‘community’ too, as well as being ‘family friendly’.

I find this ‘community’ thing a bit strange. We’re a bunch of randoms who share a common interest. That does not make us a community**. Some of the members know each other IRL, some do not. There are some people here that I’d like to have a drink with, some that I’d run a mile from, and some that I’d never get tired of punching. I’m sure those sentiments are reciprocated, especially the latter.

**It might make us the sad nerds who cluster together in a corner of the playground for mutual protection from the popular kids.

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Keymaster

I dunno. We share ideas. Give advice. Meet up at shows. Swap goods. Chat via PM and email about non gamey stuff. Send free gifts to each other to help someone out. We check up on each other if absent for a while. No doubt many other things too.

That seems quite community ish really?

Participant

Whatever. Sane Max still owes me a packet of crisps and a pint of Black Sheep 🙂

Keymaster

Cheese and Onion?

Participant

Cheese and Onion?

I’m not fussy 😀

Participant

I like the idea.  Autodidact-O-Saurus’s idea strikes me as a maybe the best way to do it.  I don’t think it is a problem to miss someone’s death, but it is quite important not to incorrectly list them as having done so.  I remember going to Historicon with a friend some years ago, and all during the show, people kept coming up to the friend, greatly surprised that he was still alive, as someone had reported him dead to a portion of the gaming community.  Must have been a dozen people that actually hugged him, upon seeing him.

And after mentioning hugs, I think Not Connard is due for his community group hug soon.

Participant

And after mentioning hugs, I think Not Connard is due for his community group hug soon.

Gerroff!

🙂

Participant

Just be respectful.

Participant

tbh, I’d leave it alone. Formally keeping track of who has and hasn’t died is a monumental hassle and risks causing all manner of offence. We have to do this stuff at work and the scope for getting it wrong is is fairly immense, particularly given the international audience involved and the fact that a large chunk of people aren’t posting under their real names.

Allen died a long time ago, but so did lots of other people.

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" - Helmuth von Moltke

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.