Home Forums Air and Sea Naval Perfidious Albion rules

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Billy Fish
    Participant

Has anyone used these rules to fight ironclad battles, like Lissa or the ACW? The ‘Construction’ section of the rules seems to imply that it could be a possibility.

MattH
    Participant

It’s possible, but probably not a good idea. PA’s focus is very much the later pre-dreadnought period, about 1890-1910. The construction rules include 1860s and 1870s tech mostly I think just to allow you to include obsolete ships that were still floating in the pre-dread era. You could certainly try it, but you’d be spending many hours making up data cards for all the ships, and then I suspect you’d discover that the gunnery & damage rules are too fiddly for a period where almost every shot should go CLANG! and have little effect.

If you want 1860s rules I’d suggest the legendary David Manley’s Dahlgren & Columbiad or Broadside and Ram.

Billy Fish
    Participant

Matt,

Many thanks for the quick reply. I think, like you, I’m attracted by the Hague-esque/old school ship damage cards. But you’re right: things might just go “Clang”.

George

deephorse
    Participant

For ACW I would suggest ‘Smoke on the Water’.  Have had a lot of enjoyment playing with these rules and Thoroughbred ships.

Less enthusiasm, please. This is Britain.

Billy Fish
    Participant

‘Smoke on the Water’ and ‘Steam, Iron and Tin’ used to be freely available on the Net, but are no longer so, it seems. Is there anyone out there could send me an electronic copy?

Many thanks in advance.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.