Home Forums General General Periods that didn't work out for you?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Participant

What periods, settings or wars did you get into for the purpose of gaming, started reading, painting or even getting in some games before realizing that you just weren’t feeling it?

Please note, this isn’t periods you wore out from over-exposure.

Participant

Ancients.  I tried really hard but just couldn’t get into it.  I am historically inclined, but some of the petty arguments that went on between a couple of people along with the games did not help.

I like to play age of sail and ironclad games, but don’t own any minis (though I do seem to have a load or rules).  I also had a friend that was way into anything British colonial, especially Sudan.  He got me all hyped, I bought and painted some minis, and just felt nothing at all for the period.  Made it hard to get into the games.

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

Gosh, where to start!

Franco-Prussian. The history is fascinating, Moltke’s a bit dry – but it is the horse’s mouth and there are good novels – well one at least Zola’s debacle and the general period of history is engrossing. There are figures in most/all scales/sizes but… I’ve not played a game that felt like it was Franco Prussian and not generic not quite WWI but Napoleonic+. Crimea, worse. ACW, I’ve played some cracking games but I can’t settle on a command level for games or figure scale or rules, and I feel deeply conflicted with the whole Confederacy wrong but romantic and the Union right but boring thing. No- scrub the 19th century.

Seven Years War – love the uniforms, love the figures, I’ve had loads in 28mm, 15mm (still got quite a few of them), 6mm. Can’t get interested in loads of lines wandering up to each other and shouting ‘bang’ all day. Sorry.

ECW/Thirty Years War. Really like the period, the uniforms/dress, the tactical problems, the (lack of?) operational art, the weaponry, the history, the social issues being fought for. I’ve done work on this period professionally years ago and still I can’t feel it on the tabletop. I’ve written/am writing/tweaking my own set of Thirty Year War rules, and I’m not certain they do what I want them to. Not abandoning this period but my hopes for it ever working are low.

Ancients. Now this is a weird one – I love ancient gaming as long as I can suspend my disbelief that it bears any relationship to ancient warfare. As soon as I start thinking ‘is that what would have happened in [name your favourite ancient battle]’ I know the answer is no, and while that may not bother a lot of people it bothers me. Heavy mobs of dust blinded, blood crazed/terrified yobs suddenly developing the spatial awareness of target acquisition radar leaves me a bit annoyed.

I like nearly all the rest or have only temporarily abandoned them because of over exposure, and I still have hopes for one or two of the above!

Participant

WW2, though I have not quite given up yet.  Bought some books, a fair few figures and a few tanks and guns.  Did a bit of painting and promptly lost interest.

OB
    http://withob.blogspot.co.uk/

Participant

The Crimean War. I bought some figures and found some rules and I keep thinking I will get into it but whenever I read about the war itself it all seems so grim and depressing that I just give up.

Now I know that “grim and depressing” is true of all wars but for some reason with the Crimean War it seems particularly so.  Possibly it is because it all ends up in a big siege.

Participant

ECW for me. I really want to like it, especially because it is the history on my doorstep, but it just seems so bland at the battle level. It lacks the sparkle that other wars/periods have. It’s the only period that I have collected and painted armies for that I gave up because of this.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://roderickdale.co.uk/
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Participant

Nappy’s..painted some, found out I painted them wrong…sold them.

Participant

Leaving aside diaper jokes for a second, you missed one of the best things about Napoleonics when you did that, and yet you were so close.

The decision you have to make is not whether you want to cause anger, alarm and despondency amongst Napoleonic gamers, but how much?

You see you will NEVER be right. It’s not possible in Napoleonics, even when you demonstrably are.

So you have to choose:

paint early period uniforms and claim your troops have never been re-equipped yet when playing later parts of the wars, which will cause chuntering but has at least the merit of being vaguely plausible,

OR

paint everyone in 1815 uniforms and when challenged say you don’t care and carry on.

(Note – probably best to take out cast iron indemnity insurance and carry defibrillator paddles at all times if adopting this latter approach, but it is the more fun).

I painted up my French army for the 1809 campaign and so annoyed everyone all the time.

Participant

Well the one game I did try to play in went 2 turns in 18 hours, and my troops never got to more. But that was 30 plus years ago… So I decided to game any thing else.

Participant

Russian Civil War. I wrote a WW1 system, built and painted a bunch of German and French miniatures, played a bunch of games, then bought some Russians hoping to use them for WW1 and RCW – never got around to painting them. I found the RCW a fascinating period and grabbed a whole bunch of research material to read. Someday I will get back to them, but for now the project is on hiatus, along with the map campaign system for our WW1 game.

Participant

Western Front for me, bought Minifigs British,French and Germans, built a big trench system 6×4′, painted 90%+ of the figures………..went on a war walk on the Somme……………came back, boxed up the figures and got rid of the terrain. Having seen the ‘cost’ in the cemeteries of blokes of my age and younger (back then) the whole WW1 ground theatre is beyond the realms of interest and taste for me………..happily game aerial combat or even Middle East and Africa theatres…..but Western Front, no.

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Participant

I think one needs to distinguish between ‘periods I tried, but didn’t work for me’, ‘periods I find morally iffy’ and ‘periods I hate’.

I’m going with the former and the spirit of the OP’s question.

Any 19th century ‘European’ war (and that includes ACW) after 1815. It’s mostly all Napoleonics with better weaponry, and when machine guns get involved…

Post 1066 medieval. There are three troop types. Knights, cannon fodder on foot. And MG42 longbowmen. All that heraldry’s a pain in the arse too.

Pre 1066 medieval (or ‘Dark Ages’ if you prefer). There are three troop types. Largely ineffectual chaps on horses. Chaps on foot in a long line with shields and pointy things who advance to contact with other chaps on foot in a long line with shields and pointy things. A few largely pathetic missile chaps.

If one side doesn’t have any largely ineffectual chaps on horses and the other side does hilarity may ensue on the flanks of the long line of the chaps on foot with shields and pointy things and no horsey chaps. Otherwise, meh.

Fantasy. Apart from HotTT. I like HotT, a LotT 🙂

Cue howls of outrage

Obvious contrarian and passive aggressive old prat, who is taken far too seriously by some and not seriously enough by others.

Participant

The land side of the Crimean War, tried in 6mm, didn’t work. Also WW1 land, I have hordes of figures (6mm Irregular), haven’t really got into the game though as I can’t find a set of rules I like (maybe I’d better just write some)

Participant

Hey DM, you could try Westfront if you like:

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/200698/Westfront

Kallistra’s Raging empires also looks pretty interesting for larger scale battles – It’s free on their website:

https://www.kallistra.co.uk/?page=127

Participant

Ancients turned out to be a real letdown for me, given the scope and magnitude of my interest in the history.  In the end though, I’ve given up on everything prior to about 1850, as most of the games strike me generally as Not Connard describes them above.

Participant

Ancients / medievals – totally dull. I’ve had three forays. As a teenager I bought a Macedonian 15mm tournament army secondhand. Maybe used it twice? Sold it. Later on I got interested in Greeks vs Persians, bought and researched and painted loads of 6mm hoplites, tried both published rules and writing my own, gave up, got rid of them. Then there were the 15mm medieval Hungarians: I liked the idea of Matthias Corvinus as a glorious renaissance monarch, and his Black Army – just the name is glamour enough – invested in a book of Hungarian heraldry, paid nice Sri Lankan persons to paint them all accurately. My three games of Armati cost me about £150 each.

I have since worked out why anything pre-Napoleon doesn’t really work for me:

http://bloodybigbattles.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/airing-some-prejudices-on-one.html

Whereas the 19th century absolutely totally does, for the reasons explained in the blog. So I’m sorry to see a few posts above where folks have found that C19, FPW, Crimea, ACW etc doesn’t work for them. As far as the Crimea is concerned, maybe I can mention that I had the opposite experience? It’s a war I had very little interest in and that I thought would make very poor wargaming entertainment. However, when I was kind of obliged to take it seriously because of writing scenarios for BBB, I found the Crimean War battles were some of the most interesting, making up a really varied set and a terrific little mini-campaign. Go on, chaps, give it another chance …

Chris

Bloody Big BATTLES!

https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BBB_wargames/info

Participant

For me it was Napoleonics. I dipped my toes in the water but decided the ocean was too deep. Seems like a huge investment in time, money and commitment to be even reasonably competent in the period. Additionally, my first couple of games were negative experiences due to what I considered poorly designed rules and rather pedantic ‘mentors’ who seemed more interested in showing off their ‘expertise’ rather than recruiting a newbie. I’m a cheap gadfly. Napoleonics is not a good fit.

Self taught, persistently behind the times, never up to date. AKA ~ jeff
    More verbosity: http://petiteguerre.blogspot.com/

Participant

I think I ought to say on reflection that I have high hopes of Bloody Big Battles turning my 19th century phobia around!

Participant

I have learned that if I’m going to try to do Napoleonics, it needs to be Imaginations with generic armies that can then have “flavor” added to but in a way that doesn’t break the game.

I also had serious issues with WW1 westfront ground combat.  But, though very grim, I have had a good time with very small personal actions, like trench raids.  I can’t do the “large” battles with 100s getting mowed down in one go…

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

Participant

I also had serious issues with WW1 westfront ground combat. But, though very grim, I have had a good time with very small personal actions, like trench raids. I can’t do the “large” battles with 100s getting mowed down in one go…

It’s interesting to see how the focus on the Western front always seems to be trench warfare. I enjoy gaming battles on the Western front but focus on 1914 and early 1915 when the warfare was more mobile. It’s a part of the war that almost invariably seems to be forgotten in the horror of the later years.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://roderickdale.co.uk/
    https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/

Participant

Biblical ancients. For whatever reason my NKE Army was never any fun to play (or paint for that matter) whether it was DBA, DBM, Hail Caesar or Impetus.  Sold the army and never have looked back. I’ve just never enjoyed anything earlier than the Punic Wars.

Renaissance Eastern – Built a Polish Army for DBR and just never really connected. It may have been more my dislike of DBR than the period but another sale and never looked back.

The tree of Life is self pruning.

Participant

Napoleonic skirmish in 28mm. Turns out I hate painting white straps.

Flintloque gets a pass because THEIR white straps aren’t 0.000003mm wide…

Participant

“MG42 longbowmen”! Excellent! That really did make me LOL….

Participant

“MG42 longbowmen”! Excellent! That really did make me LOL….

That made me laugh as well.  One of my friends plays in a regular game that is umpired by a guy who has written his own set of medieval rules where longbows are absolutely lethal. Unfortunately for my friend he never gets to play on the side that has longbows; he is always on the other side, the side with crossbows: the losing side.

My friend keeps inviting me to go and play.  He says the terrain and the figures are great. But I can’t see the point in turning up for a game where the umpire has already decided which side is going to win. And it’s not going to be the side you are on.

Participant

I never actually painted more than a few 28mm for skirmishing, so it hardly counts, but the ACW has never caught my imagination. Even when I worked ten minutes from the Chickamauga battlefield, and walked around it on my lunch breaks. Even when I toured battlefields with Paddy Griffith and Don Featherstone.

It’s mostly massed infantry charges  against rifled muskets in the woods. Oh and – if you live in the south, as I did – crazed secessionists masquerading as wargamers, looking to beat them bluebellies.

I do all my own stunts.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.