Home Forums Alternate History Victorian Sci Fi Peter Pig Large Green Alien Basing

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Piyan GlupakPiyan Glupak
    Participant

I have been doing a bit of army maintenance on my Green Martians.  I have changed the rules that I use for Barsoom, and could do with slightly bigger armies.  I painted a few extra figures and have re-based the army.  For those not familiar with the range, although they are “15mm scale”, the Green Aliens represent giants with 6 limbs, and so are similar in size to 28mm human figures.  My army was one of their Hordes of the Things army pack.

Previously, I based the cavalry 3 to a 40mm wide base.  Although I managed it, the bases didn’t fit together well as a line.  This time I tried 2 on a base, and they still look imposing, with the benefit that I have the option of fielding the army with a very high proportion of cavalry.  (This seems to be a better fit with the battles described in the book.)

Concerning infantry, I deployed the riflemen 3 on a base rather than 4 (which was how they were).  The artillery had been one artillery piece on a 40mm square base.  Because my impression is that they didn’t field a huge amount of artillery in the books, I put both artillery pieces on the same 40mm square base.

Previously, I had used Basetex painted a reddish colour.  This was okay, but I can’t get hold of Basetex quickly or easily.  The books state that the red colour is from low-growing moss or grass-like plants.  I just glued sand on the bases for now.  When I next do a model railway order, I will try to add suitable flocks to the order, to add to the bases later.

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

Love to see some pictures

Piyan GlupakPiyan Glupak
    Participant

Warning!  I am neither a good photographer nor a good painter.  First, some of the giant Green Martian lancers.

Green Martian Lancers
    You might want to compare them with normal sized 15mm figures.

Here are their riflemen are artillery:

Another shot with both normal-sized Red Martians (with John Carter) and the jolly giant Green Martians:

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Piyan GlupakPiyan Glupak. Reason: removed blank line(s)
    telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

Would love to see them but I cannot. Signed into google but still cannot see them 

Piyan GlupakPiyan Glupak
    Participant

Thank you for letting me know.  Google Photos are a pain, and seem to default to making albums private.  I will try to put more on.  If you could let me know whether or not you see the pictures, it would be appreciated.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

Interesting, do you have any closer shots of the main heroes?

Piyan GlupakPiyan Glupak
    Participant

Hello Mike, this one isn’t really a close-up but does show a bit more.  I did John Carter using black hair (as described in the books) but using pale flesh (the shade that I tend to use for Northern Europeans).  When I did the first lot I painted the hero figure with the flesh colour that I use for South Europeans, but that looked half way to the Red Martian colour.  I now use that base for John Carter’s son Cathoris, and his lady.

I might try a bit more of photography some time, but it always seems to do better with a lot of light.  These were done with artificial light.  I think that the sunshine outside today is a little too hazy to get better pictures.

The Green Martian leader figures doesn’t look hugely different from the other lancers.  I have one done on its own on a base as a Hero for either “Hordes of the Things” or “Warfare’s Tremendous Feats”.  The other one (which I painted as part of the new batch) I based as a Knights/Lancer with an ordinary lancer.  On the picture with 8 bases of mounted it is the base on the right end of the front row.  The leader figure has one of his hands on his holstered pistol, and is holding two of his other hands up, palm outward, with no lance.

telzy ambertelzy amber
    Participant

Love the photos. Thank you. I wonder how they match with the ex-Black Hat Martians

Piyan GlupakPiyan Glupak
    Participant

Very good point.  I have just ordered a few to see how they mix in.  I am not happy about the figures that I am using for banths and caloots now, and could do with ghostly archers and Red Martian riders.  The ex-Black Hat Martian Empires range is now sold by Fighting 15s.  Fighting 15s say that they have a bit of a backlog at the moment, so it might be a little while before I see the bare metal.  It will be spring at earliest before I start painting them, as it is inconvenient for me to paint figures inside the house.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.