Home Forums Alternate History Victorian Sci Fi Peter Pig Large Green Alien Basing

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have been doing a bit of army maintenance on my Green Martians.  I have changed the rules that I use for Barsoom, and could do with slightly bigger armies.  I painted a few extra figures and have re-based the army.  For those not familiar with the range, although they are “15mm scale”, the Green Aliens represent giants with 6 limbs, and so are similar in size to 28mm human figures.  My army was one of their Hordes of the Things army pack.

Previously, I based the cavalry 3 to a 40mm wide base.  Although I managed it, the bases didn’t fit together well as a line.  This time I tried 2 on a base, and they still look imposing, with the benefit that I have the option of fielding the army with a very high proportion of cavalry.  (This seems to be a better fit with the battles described in the book.)

Concerning infantry, I deployed the riflemen 3 on a base rather than 4 (which was how they were).  The artillery had been one artillery piece on a 40mm square base.  Because my impression is that they didn’t field a huge amount of artillery in the books, I put both artillery pieces on the same 40mm square base.

Previously, I had used Basetex painted a reddish colour.  This was okay, but I can’t get hold of Basetex quickly or easily.  The books state that the red colour is from low-growing moss or grass-like plants.  I just glued sand on the bases for now.  When I next do a model railway order, I will try to add suitable flocks to the order, to add to the bases later.

Participant

Love to see some pictures

Participant

Warning!  I am neither a good photographer nor a good painter.  First, some of the giant Green Martian lancers.

Green Martian Lancers
    You might want to compare them with normal sized 15mm figures.

Here are their riflemen are artillery:

Another shot with both normal-sized Red Martians (with John Carter) and the jolly giant Green Martians:

Participant

Would love to see them but I cannot. Signed into google but still cannot see them 

Participant

Thank you for letting me know.  Google Photos are a pain, and seem to default to making albums private.  I will try to put more on.  If you could let me know whether or not you see the pictures, it would be appreciated.

Keymaster

Interesting, do you have any closer shots of the main heroes?

Participant

Hello Mike, this one isn’t really a close-up but does show a bit more.  I did John Carter using black hair (as described in the books) but using pale flesh (the shade that I tend to use for Northern Europeans).  When I did the first lot I painted the hero figure with the flesh colour that I use for South Europeans, but that looked half way to the Red Martian colour.  I now use that base for John Carter’s son Cathoris, and his lady.

I might try a bit more of photography some time, but it always seems to do better with a lot of light.  These were done with artificial light.  I think that the sunshine outside today is a little too hazy to get better pictures.

The Green Martian leader figures doesn’t look hugely different from the other lancers.  I have one done on its own on a base as a Hero for either “Hordes of the Things” or “Warfare’s Tremendous Feats”.  The other one (which I painted as part of the new batch) I based as a Knights/Lancer with an ordinary lancer.  On the picture with 8 bases of mounted it is the base on the right end of the front row.  The leader figure has one of his hands on his holstered pistol, and is holding two of his other hands up, palm outward, with no lance.

Participant

Love the photos. Thank you. I wonder how they match with the ex-Black Hat Martians

Participant

Very good point.  I have just ordered a few to see how they mix in.  I am not happy about the figures that I am using for banths and caloots now, and could do with ghostly archers and Red Martian riders.  The ex-Black Hat Martian Empires range is now sold by Fighting 15s.  Fighting 15s say that they have a bit of a backlog at the moment, so it might be a little while before I see the bare metal.  It will be spring at earliest before I start painting them, as it is inconvenient for me to paint figures inside the house.

Participant

Excellent force there!

where did you buy the flyers?

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant

Peterpig https://www.peterpig.co.uk/fantasy.html under Aliens. The Red Alien Airboat http://www.peterpig.co.uk/FANTASY%2520martina%2520airboat%2520with%2520crew.jpg

Oh and welcome Dan aka cacique caribe.  I hoped you would arrive here. Love your posts

Participant

Thanks for the link and thanks for the welcome!  Glad to be here.  Seems like a good and helpful crowd, with lots of familiar and long-missed voices.

Dan
    Loads of WIPs: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9593487@N07/albums/with/72157710630529376

Participant

Very cool. A subject I know little about but those Green men are ACE!

Tally-Ho! Check out my blog at…..
    http://steelcitywargaming.wordpress.com/

Participant

I am still waiting for the ex-Black Hat Martians to come.  It is approaching the time to contact Fighting 15s about that.  When I get them, I will do a picture of the Peter Pig and (unpainted) ex-Black Hat Martians side-by-side.  Unfortunately, it will be difficult for me to do much painting until the weather gets warmer.

Edit: Just picked them up from the village post office.  The postmark matches the date that Fighting 15s said that they sent them, so delay was just the Christmas post.

Participant

I had a very quick look at them, and was impressed.  The non-humanoid creatures look very good to me.  I should be able to add Red Martian cavalry and an army for Lothar.  The human-like Martians are a bit bigger than the Peter Pig ones.  They will be okay on different bases, but I will have to experiment in mixing them on the same base, for instance, to get proper infantry command bases.  Some of them might get a haircut because the hair styles are different.

selection

Foot figure comparison

Banth and Caloot with PP Martian infantry

I am looking forward to painting them when the weather gets a bit better for painting outdoors.

Edit: If you can’t see these pictures please let me know.

Participant

Excellent! Can’t wait to see them.

Participant

Saw the first and second post images, but not the new Fighting15s images!

Participant

Interesting. In your text message

selection

Foot figure comparison

Banth and Caloot with PP Martian infantry

are not text but are images. I will quote your message

I had a very quick look at them, and was impressed. The non-humanoid creatures look very good to me. I should be able to add Red Martian cavalry and an army for Lothar. The human-like Martians are a bit bigger than the Peter Pig ones. They will be okay on different bases, but I will have to experiment in mixing them on the same base, for instance, to get proper infantry command bases. Some of them might get a haircut because the hair styles are different. selection Foot figure comparison Banth and Caloot with PP Martian infantry I am looking forward to painting them when the weather gets a bit better for painting outdoors. Edit: If you can’t see these pictures please let me know.

As you can see the link doesn’t show text but the label as an image. For example “Foot figure comparison” is not text but an image

Participant

Thank you for telling me.  I find Google Photos a real pain to use.  Everything shows up for me, so it seems to be something to do with permissions.  I set the album to ‘share’ “Anyone with the link can see these photos and the people who’ve been invited or have joined”.  I will have another go at posting:

Keymaster

Can see them now!
    Thanks for the close ups of JC and DT

Participant

One day I hope to find my lost calot green, so I can finally have someone cast it.  Alas, there’s still a good chance that Hurricane Harvey may have taken him away for good.

3rd Stage 02

3rd Stage 04

Dan

Participant

All those figures look very temptingly good!  I stumbled across my copy of  “Martian Empires” the other day, and was inspired to visit Fighting15s.  I hadn’t realized that Venusians had been added to the ranges.  (For the record, rules for the hot, humid jungle world that is Venus are not in the ME rules, but rather were in a free PDF supplement.  I have no idea where one can download it now that Blackhat sold their ranges to Fighting15s).

What rules are you rebasing for, Piyan Glupak?

And yes, nice to see another familiar name jump to this site, even if Dan has no idea who I am!

Participant

What rules are you rebasing for, Piyan Glupak?

I am basing or rebasing my figures for the rules that I am writing “Wargames Tremendous Feats”.  The only constraint in WTF is that all bases have the same width.  For convenience, I use a lot of bases originally intended for DBA or Hordes of the Things.

WTF uses slightly larger armies than DBA/HotT, (usually 12 to 16 bases for a historical army). The combat mechanisms are a bit different.  The ancients and medieval version is pretty much done, and the fantasy version not far behind.  The version for Barsoom wants a few more troop types put in and play-tested, hence the order from Fighting 15s.  The pike and shot version needs more work.  I am hoping to put WTF out onto the Internet as freebies very soon.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.