Home Forums WWII Pics from my Hail Of Fire events @ PAX Unplugged 2018

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Retroboom Retroboom 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Photos from our Hail Of Fire events at PAX Unplugged 2018 in Philadelphia!

Me and my colleague, Dillon Wall, ran 3 events for about 20 different players and many more onlookers. It was very surprising to me to learn how many gamers at a show like PAX are intimidated by miniatures and would rather watch (sometimes an hour or more!) than play. We were only scheduled for two 4 hour events, but there was enough demand that we figured we’d offer an unofficial 3rd event and indeed had no trouble filling the table with new players eager to roll dice! Overall, a great success 😀

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Retroboom Retroboom.
    • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Retroboom Retroboom. Reason: fixed images

www.RetroBoom.com
    Stafford, Va. Let's play!

Paul
    Paul
    Participant

Looks lovely

Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

Etranger
    Participant

Terrific looking table.

deephorse
    deephorse
    Participant

Yes, a great looking table.  Not heard of those rules before, and what scale is it?

Wargamers - successfully driving the fun out of wargaming since 1780

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

Thanks! Hail Of Fire are “fast-play” rules I’ve written with a focus on fog of war. They’re on Wargamevault.com as “Pay What You Want” so feel free to check them out for free and see if they interest you. Scale-wise, a base is a half-squad, gun, or vehicle. They’ve been tagged “Beta” for the last 2 years, as I continually play games my self, take feedback online, and make tweaks to the rules. I’m actually planning on uploading v1 before new years and finally removing Beta from the title. More tweaks and content to come, but likely as supplemental rather than constant changes to core rules.

www.RetroBoom.com

kyoteblue
    kyoteblue
    Participant

Great looking table, did the Americans make if off the beach??

Retroboom
    Retroboom
    Participant

They did!  I think the Americans won games 2 and 3. The first game was especially hard on the US players as they were cursed with poor movement rolls, combined with the US paratrooper players on the other end of the table having a very difficult time destroying all 4 of the artillery pieces that were shelling the beach every turn. They still managed to kill the guns and at least one pillbox, but it wasn’t enough to win the day.

The next two games provided much more challenge to the german players, partly from better luck from the US, but also I suspect they players were more experienced with both wargaming and wwii history, allowing them to act much more aggressively and do what was needed to be done! By game 3, our US players had destroyed 3 of the pillboxes and were making their way through the trenches, and the paratroopers had made quick work of the guns and were taking over the village!

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Retroboom Retroboom.

www.RetroBoom.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.