Home Forums Sci Fi General Sci-Fi Pizza Deliveries in the Shadow Deep

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Having some fun converting Rangers of Shadow Deep into a post-apocalyptic pizza delivery game. The rules seem to work pretty well as written with only a few small tweaks. Currently planning new (simple) rules for vehicles and a couple of scenarios.

Death to all fanatics!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

What an unusually interesting first post. Thanks!!

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

Very cool.

Thaddeus BlanchetteThaddeus Blanchette
    Participant

Does anyone make a figure for Hiro Protagonist? Someone should.

We get slapped around, but we have a good time!

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Never read Snow Crash. Based this more on a combination of Mad Max, Mutant Year Zero and. French Short I saw a few months back along with Rangers of Shadow Deep of course. 😀

Death to all fanatics!

RuarighRuarigh
    Participant

Does anyone make a figure for Hiro Protagonist? Someone should.

Funny. Snow Crash was my first thought too. I look forward to seeing how this project develops and I really like the little vignette image for setting the scene.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

https://emidsvikings.ac.uk/
    KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Just a coincidence in this case, the short “Apocalypse Pizza Video” which I stumbled across on YouTube was a big influence with Mutant Year Zero giving me the overgrown apocalypse feel I was looking for.

Upgraded Vehicles (Antenociti’s Workshop), hopefully the vehicles will be as much a character as the figures.  The plan is to give them upgrade slots in the same way as normal companions to allow the vehicle to develop alongside the crew.  Hex terrain by Kallistra Ltd.

Delivery in progress, runner Blue gets ready to try and avoid the zombies while Pinky provides covering fire.  If it’s not there in 20 turns or less it’s free!

Vehicles (in need of dirtying up), delivery agents (in need of finished basing) and antagonists of the Shadow Deep (mixture of Hasslefree, Mantic, Reaper Bones, Zombicide and GW).  Watch this space for more updates.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by KitfoxKitfox.

Death to all fanatics!

Darkest Star GamesDarkest Star Games
    Participant

This is bonkers!  You’re bonkers!  I love it all!

This is a game I would totally play.  I remember several fond hours of Ninja Burger Delivery back in the day, and I do so enjoy quirky games.  Looking forwards to hearing more!

"I saw this in a cartoon once, but I'm pretty sure I can do it..."

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Thanks!  I’m thinking that all of the scenarios will be titles after the order.   From the introductory scenario “Margherita” to the challenging horror of the Hawaiian.  Will probably start by converting the existing village scenario to test the rules, has a feel of Pepperoni about it to me!!!!!!

Hope my painting mojo holds out!

Death to all fanatics!

Participant

Never read Snow Crash. Based this more on a combination of Mad Max, Mutant Year Zero and. French Short I saw a few months back along with Rangers of Shadow Deep of course. 😀

Look, you don’t have to read the book, but if you’re doing a post-apocalyptic pizza-delivery game, you are bound by honor to at least read the first chapter.

Here. I’ll help you and the other unwashed out with the first couple of pages:

The Deliverator belongs to an elite order, a hallowed subcategory. He’s got esprit up to here. Right now, he is preparing to carry out his third mission of the night. His uniform is black as activated charcoal, filtering the very light out of the air. A bullet will bounce off its arachnofiber weave like a wren hitting a patio door, but excess perspiration wafts through it like a breeze through a freshly napalmed forest. Where his body has bony extremities, the suit has sintered armorgel: feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.

When they gave him the job, they gave him a gun. The Deliverator never deals in cash, but someone might come after him anyway—might want his car, or his cargo. The gun is tiny, aero-styled, lightweight, the kind of a gun a fashion designer would carry; it fires teensy darts that fly at five times the velocity of an SR-71 spy plane, and when you get done using it, you have to plug it into the cigarette lighter, because it runs on electricity.

The Deliverator never pulled that gun in anger, or in fear. He pulled it once in Gila Highlands. Some punks in Gila Highlands, a fancy Burbclave, wanted themselves a delivery, and they didn’t want to pay for it. Thought they would impress the Deliverator with a baseball bat. The Deliverator took out his gun, centered its laser doohickey on that poised Louisville Slugger, fired it. The recoil was immense, as though the weapon had blown up in his hand. The middle third of the baseball bat turned into a column of burning sawdust accelerating in all directions like a bursting star. Punk ended up holding this bat handle with milky smoke pouring out the end. Stupid look on his face. Didn’t get nothing but trouble from the Deliverator.

Since then the Deliverator has kept the gun in the glove compartment and relied, instead, on a matched set of samurai swords, which have always been his weapon of choice anyhow. The punks in Gila Highlands weren’t afraid of the gun, so the Deliverator was forced to use it. But swords need no demonstrations.

The Deliverator’s car has enough potential energy packed into its batteries to fire a pound of bacon into the Asteroid Belt. Unlike a bimbo box or a Burb beater, the Deliverator’s car unloads that power through gaping, gleaming, polished sphincters. When the Deliverator puts the hammer down, shit happens. You want to talk contact patches? Your car’s tires have tiny contact patches, talk to the asphalt in four places the size of your tongue. The Deliverator’s car has big sticky tires with contact patches the size of a fat lady’s thighs. The Deliverator is in touch with the road, starts like a bad day, stops on a peseta.

Why is the Deliverator so equipped? Because people rely on him. He is a role model. This is America. People do whatever the fuck they feel like doing, you got a problem with that? Because they have a right to. And because they have guns and no one can fucking stop them. As a result, this country has one of the worst economies in the world. When it gets down to it—talking trade balances here—once our edge in natural resources has been made irrelevant by giant Hong Kong ships and dirigibles that can ship North Dakota all the way to New Zealand for a nickel—once the Invisible Hand has taken all those historical inequities and smeared them out into a broad global layer of what a Pakistani brickmaker would consider to be prosperity—y’know what? There’s only four things we do better than anyone else:

music
    movies
    microcode (software)
    high-speed pizza delivery.

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Thanks but I’d rather not, I’d prefer to develop the setting in my own way without any further influence.

Death to all fanatics!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I am secretly hoping for a Borderlands vibe creeping in 😀

But as noted, do what the heck you want, don’t listen to us crusties, we are just here for the ride.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by MikeMike.
    RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

While the comedy theme and the hex terrain aren’t quite my cup of tea, I really like the figures and – especially – the rest of the terrain. Also the fantastical, not-too-bleak take on post-apoc in general.

Mutant Year Zero the tabletop RPG, or the video game? In any case, I can’t quite decide whether I love or hate the Mutant setting. It’s fun, but also too silly, but also fun, but also too silly, but also…

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Video game, tried the tabletop RPG once but never got into it.  I’m not wild about the characters in the video game but love the aesthetic for the worlds etc.  The hexes are love ‘em or hate ‘em but they’re an easy answer for limited storage space.

Death to all fanatics!

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

The hexes are love ‘em or hate ‘em but they’re an easy answer for limited storage space.

Oh, for sure. When I said they’re not my cup of tea, that’s my problem to own.

The video game is something I might look further into, now that I’ve been reminded it exists. Even if the zoomorphic characters feel a bit silly, I do greatly appreciate the turn-based tactics genre.

Rangers of Shadow Deep is also something I must investigate further. Not the first time it’s come up in a positive sense.

But again, great project you have going on! It does inspire.

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Even in my own group opinion is split on the hexes, they work for some games and not for others.  You kind of get used to them after a few games, although anything where you have to guess ranges etc. doesn’t work as well.

I agree on the anthropomorphic characters but they’re so well done they really get under your skin.  I highly recommend RoSD, the coop element really works and there are a ton of scenarios now.

Spent tonight rusting up some oil drums and doing a basic paint job on a  Hasslefree robot so I can cover it in earth and flock to use as a terrain piece.

Death to all fanatics!

kyotebluekyoteblue
    Participant

I need to re-read Snow Crash. Cool stuff you are doing Kitfox.

Participant

I do love them cars, man! The strap on reactive armor is killer bee!

Participant

Oh, c’mon! You need an afro-japanese-american coding nerd with a katana delivering your pizzas! : D

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Small update, a few rusty old drums (loving GW Typhus Corrosion) and an abandoned robot (Hasslefree Grymn Walker) hopefully I’ll get them finished tonight.  Still work in progress but starting to take shape.

Death to all fanatics!

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Scavvy Queen, investigating new objective tokens and scenery pieces.

Death to all fanatics!

Participant

The Grymm waller turned out a treat!

MikeMike
    Keymaster

I am liking, as is Rhoderic, the PA vibe without it all being all blasted and wasteland, reminds me of The Last Of Us and how green and kind of nice it was to look at, with nature having reclaimed so much.
    Will you have wasteland type areas at all?

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

The walker’s a lovely figure, it was a shame to cover it in earth and debris, I’ve got another one somewhere to use as a live one. I’m thinking mostly overgrown for the “on foot” sections with some wasteland sections for the driving bits and the occasional dead zone.  Of course the Apocalyptic Shadow Deep’s a big place, plenty of space for franchises in other locations.

Death to all fanatics!

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

I am liking, as is Rhoderic, the PA vibe without it all being all blasted and wasteland

That’s part of what I meant, but the other part is the way the project depicts post-apoc as a fantastical action-adventure setting, rather than a realistic setting focused on too-close-to-home human tragedy.

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

That’s the plan, while the setting is still tragic, it’s about that little bit of joy that keeps the survivors going and how far people will go to get it.

Death to all fanatics!

Thomaston
    Participant

That’s a good looking game. I really like the cars and terrain. Overgrown vegetation really made it stand out.

Nothing wrong with hexes in my opinion, it makes life so much easier.

Tired is enough.

Alexander Wasberg
    Participant

This looks great, the slightly different take on PA is fun and refreshing 🙂

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Working robot vs overgrown relic, Pinky for scale.  Really enjoying this project, haven’t been this motivated for years! 😀

Death to all fanatics!

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Big fan of those mechs, both the original designs and what you’ve done with them.

I started playing Mutant Year Zero as I realised it’s available to me through the Xbox One Game Pass subscription (which I’m already paying for, and finding to be worth the modest price). More enjoyable and inspirational than expected. I’m reminded that I actually love these tactical RPGs. And you’re right, the characters do get under my skin.

Now that I’ve seen some more of what inspired this project, I really hope – even more so than before – that you keep it going.

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Glad you’re enjoying it, it has a nice stealth mechanic that sets it apart and a genuinely funny script that I loved. Made some more progress today, some WIP on my painting desk:

Death to all fanatics!

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Dumpsters

Clue tokens

Death to all fanatics!

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

First delivery crew ready to go, hoping to get playing this week!

Death to all fanatics!

RhodericRhoderic
    Participant

Do love Hasslefree figures – benchmarks for the hobby. And it’s always nice to see a hobbyist pay attention to the need for scatter/clutter terrain.

MikeMike
    Keymaster

They are nice, I like the gloss look on her suit.

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Yep, love Hasslefree, these have been in a box for years waiting for the right project. I agree about scatter terrain it makes or breaks a game for me.  So far as Pinky’s suit goes, I was watching The Avengers (Emma Peel ‘nuff sed).  Simple black/grey highlights with a coat or two of Tamika clear gloss, worked out nicely.

Some of the scatter terrain I’ve been putting together.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by KitfoxKitfox.

Death to all fanatics!

KitfoxKitfox
    Participant

Updated crew, from left to right, Sara Blue, Yukie, Herk, Other Dave, Pinky and Navid.

Death to all fanatics!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.