Home Forums Modern PLA Naval Infantry Platton strength

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Does anyone know the standard organization of Chinese PLA Naval Infantry platoons? I am most interested in the structure around units mounted in ZBD-05 IFVs. Any information is much apprecoated.

Participant

Extrapolating from online PLA sources and here….

http://china-defense.blogspot.com.es/2017/09/a-first-look-plas-new-9-man-zbl09.html

Guessing on a typical tri-squad platoon, 3 ZBD-05’s have a capacity for 30 troops allowing for 3 bodies in Platoon HQ…….reports from a joint Sino-Russian amphibious exercise tell of 14 ZBD-05’s landing over 100 marines…..perhaps they deploy in 4 squad platoons with a 4 man hq? 3×4 squad platoons with support attachments from a company support platoon……heavier machine guns,mortars,ATGW and AA for example

All speculation on my part but there is discussion of Designated Marksman Rifle and a SAW equivalent inclusions into the squad orbat, replacing a QBZ95 rifle and the QBB Light Support Weapon……..the roll out and issue may lead to several orbat variations within the Mech Brigades of the PLAN Marines……..

(I’m off to dig out my 1/72 Caesar Minis PLA figures!!)

"Even dry tree bark is not bitter to the hungry squirrel"

Participant

Specific to mech infantry units of the PLAGF (but assuming a desire to standardise similar formations equipped with similar types of vehicles)

“Each mechanised infantry battalion has three mechanised infantry companies, each of three platoons with each company having 13 infantry fighting vehicles; four in each platoon and one headquarters vehicle.”

The above mentioned joint exercises state 14 vehicles in use……the battalion commander showing the flag perhaps?

So the 9-man squad:
    Corporal with Type95 assault rifle & radio
    6 x Rifle men with Type95’s (1 is the 2 i/c with another radio)
    Gunner with RPG or PF98a launcher
    Gunner with QBB95 LSW or QJY88 LMG (SAW)

Further options include a UGL (35mm) and swapping out a Type95 rifle for a QBU88 DMR….(perhaps an attached Type QJZ 89 12.7 mm heavy machine gun as in the photos!)
    The platoon of 4 squads leaves room for a 4-man hq within the vehicles allotted to transport. Vehicle crews are from the armoured battalion and not part of the infantry platoon.
    Weapon descriptions:

PLA Infantry Weapons: Small Arms of the World’s Largest Army

Participant

That last link has awry……

http://www.sadefense journal.com/wp/?p=2649

Take out the space between defence and journal……seems to be a gremlin on the loose.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.